IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> What to use for long term storage support??, Need support stands / sawhorses what??

CCDAMEEK
post Aug 31 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,307
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2007 Starcraft 800 pop-up Truck camper
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4 DoubleCab Limited TRD 6'5
Type of Tiedowns used: still looking. Not sure what I will get yet. Suggestions??
Truck and Camper Setup: Have Firestone #2445 air suspension system ordered. Ordered 4- 800lb capacity folding metal sawhorses for at home storage.

Hello everyone.
My wife and I just purchased a used 2007 Starcraft Pop-up Truck camper. I am hauling it on a 2007 Toyota Tundra 4wd 5.7L, and to get it home was a piece of cake. Now I need to come up with long-term storage supports, as the owners manual indicates the jacks are to only be used for loading/offloading.

I would like something that can come with us easily as we travel so the truck might be able to be used for site-seeing.

Loaded weight should be around 1700 lbs. Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated.

ANYBODY, PLEASE GIVE SUGGESTIONS. WHAT DO YOU USE?

Thanks in advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Aug 31 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

I have heard of folding sawhorses but have never used them. Check with places like Lowes, Home Depot etc.
Gary

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
mh45472
post Aug 31 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,941
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Elkhorn 8R
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC Sierra 2500 HD SRW 4 x 4 Ext. Cab Short box
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: GMC 2500 HD, Air bags, Happijacs, custom hitch box extension, Fleetwood Elkhorn 8R, pretty much loaded

I have heard of people making several lap jointed X's out of 3/4" plywood. They would fold flat for storage & travel. One caution, I recently looked into pop-up TC's and learned that Palomino does not recommend using their TC's off truck. Northstar says it's OK. I am not sure about Starcrafts but make sure the manufacturer recommends using the TC off truck first.
+Quote Post
CCDAMEEK
post Sep 2 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,307
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2007 Starcraft 800 pop-up Truck camper
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4 DoubleCab Limited TRD 6'5
Type of Tiedowns used: still looking. Not sure what I will get yet. Suggestions??
Truck and Camper Setup: Have Firestone #2445 air suspension system ordered. Ordered 4- 800lb capacity folding metal sawhorses for at home storage.

QUOTE(mh45472 @ Aug 31 2009, 12:50 PM)
I have heard of people making several lap jointed X's out of 3/4" plywood. They would fold flat for storage & travel. One caution, I recently looked into pop-up  TC's and learned that Palomino does not recommend using their TC's off truck. Northstar says it's OK. I am not sure about Starcrafts but make sure the manufacturer recommends using the TC off truck first.

THANK YOU. MIGHT WORK, BUT STILL LOOKING FOR MORE SUGGESTIONS ALSO.
+Quote Post
zatoichi
post Sep 3 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,271
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northern Lite 102
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F250 Super Duty
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: Looking for both truck and camper

Lowes and HD both have a metal sawhorses but with that much weight I would go with four of them. Bear in mind none of those type of sawhorses are intended for that kind of weight.
+Quote Post
jeeper50
post Sep 12 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,357
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino Bronco 1000
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge ram 1500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: not sure what brand
Truck and Camper Setup: '97 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.2L, '94 Palomino Bronco 1000 camper, '53 Willys Cj3B in tow

I just bought a used '94 Palomino Bronco, I was thinking about using several concrete 8"x16" blocks in each corner, one laid on it's side and another standing up right. Glue them together for strength. The plywood X sounds like a good too.
+Quote Post
garbinator
post Sep 13 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #7

Productive Consumer

Member No.: 2,832
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 GMC Dually 4X4 Crew Cab DuraMax w/6sp variable Allison
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac, Altec power jacks
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance Legend 990 fully loaded series, Electric Jacks, Air Bags, heavy duty torsion bar, Titan extend-a-hitch, .357 Mag Marlin Lever Action (Cowboy rifle) for camper defense. Bose Acoustic Wave Machine to Ez the nights away...

For long term storage I ran acrossed this option, but you cannot haul it along with you.

http://www.riecotitan.com/camperdollys.html

Then of course there is this option I would think to be a pretty neat deal...

http://www.stablelift.com/
+Quote Post
jeeper50
post Sep 13 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,357
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino Bronco 1000
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge ram 1500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: not sure what brand
Truck and Camper Setup: '97 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.2L, '94 Palomino Bronco 1000 camper, '53 Willys Cj3B in tow

I like the dolly idea, for a temp solution, until I can get this camper repaired and ready to roll, I bought the blocks @ home depot for $1.35 ea.
+Quote Post
garbinator
post Sep 13 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #9

Productive Consumer

Member No.: 2,832
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 GMC Dually 4X4 Crew Cab DuraMax w/6sp variable Allison
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac, Altec power jacks
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance Legend 990 fully loaded series, Electric Jacks, Air Bags, heavy duty torsion bar, Titan extend-a-hitch, .357 Mag Marlin Lever Action (Cowboy rifle) for camper defense. Bose Acoustic Wave Machine to Ez the nights away...

For longterm... I use car jacks and 2X4's for the front of the camper only. I like the dolly too, big reason why I believe it would really be neat to have the ability to move it around if need be.
+Quote Post
Desert Rat
post Sep 17 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,375
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Not sure yet. Ask me again in 5 years.
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F-350 Dually
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: Ford F-350 Diesel Dually, Banks Power Pack, Transmission cheatin' computer. 11 1/2 foot Caribou camper with solar (and wind ready to install).

Our rig is a wee bit heavier--pushing 3500 pounds, but here's our take on it:

I cut two 4x4s (doug fir), their length matching the width of the camper floor box. After I have the camper lowered close to the ground, I put the two 4x4s under the camper, one close to the front of the box, the other near the rear. Then using travel trailer stabilizer jacks--the kind that "stack" into one another and have screw driven caps, I place a jack about a foot or so in from each end of the 4x4.

The result is, the jacks are supporting the 4x4s, and the 4x4s are supporting the camper. I cinch the jacks up fairly tight for security, and leave the camper corner jacks right where they are. At that rate you have support on all four corners, but in a broad space under the floor as well.

In an earlier camper incarnation, we actually had the floor collase out from under the rig while were sitting down at the dinette, having a nice meal. That put a quick end to a warm dinner, I'll add.
+Quote Post
Zzyzxx
post Sep 18 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,379
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-250HD 4X4 SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 1994 Ford F-250HD 4X4 SuperCab, 460 gas engine w/5-spd. Air Lift springs on all four corners, full Banks exhaust system, Transfer Flow tanks, etc. Camper is 1995 Lance 4000.

I use cinder blocks with some redwood 4X4's strung between them, and lower the camper onto that. Then I lower the jacks and snug them lightly against the ground just in case we get an earthquake or something. Works, and is easy and cheap.

Joe
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:50 AM