Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Complete re-caulking?

AraWithSpirit
post Jan 21 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,371
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northern Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350 7.2 Turbo diesel 4x4 Ford 4 doors Long bed
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 2013 Northern Lite 9.8 Q SE AnchorGuard tie downs 2000 Ford f350 7.2 Turbo diesel 4x4 4 door Long bed Rear Camper package Rear air bags Progressive lockers Honda 2000 Genset 120W soft 12V 4lb panels 1 140amp/h sealed deep cycle battery . 1995 BMW GS with Ural Sidecar.

Our 4 years old NL has never leaked but I just realized by reading from a few others that theirs has and I should as preventive maintenance re-caulk it all!

I am not good at it as I have watched professionals do it without even using their fingers but instead at incredible speed and precision do a beautiful bead.

Would you take it to a Camper/RV Dealer? Has anyone had such experience of such preventive maintenance?

Being full time West mainly we could just about go anywhere. I think it would be a worthwhile investment.

--------------------
Stay well, Ara and Spirit
www.theoasisofmysoul.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Jan 21 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

I would recommend Galaxy Truck Campers in Ontario. David owns the shop and is involved in all repairs. This is a family style place that sells Lance truck campers. The shop has been there for decades. Give David a call at 9093219053
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Jan 22 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

QUOTE(Freespool @ Jan 21 2017, 04:45 PM)
I would recommend Galaxy Truck Campers in Ontario.  David owns the shop and is involved in all repairs.  This is a family style place that sells Lance truck campers.  The shop has been there for decades.  Give David a call at 9093219053

I re-caulked my camper last Summer. It didn't need it, but I did it anyway. I was easy. It took 4 tubes to do all the seams and 2 tubes of dicor to do the skylights and AC.
I spent the most time removing the old dicor with a heat gun and scraper, but it went quickly.
I found that the key was to cut the nipple on the caulk to the correct angle and width, and not to caulk when it is cold.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
AraWithSpirit
post Jan 22 2017, 05:23 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,371
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northern Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350 7.2 Turbo diesel 4x4 Ford 4 doors Long bed
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 2013 Northern Lite 9.8 Q SE AnchorGuard tie downs 2000 Ford f350 7.2 Turbo diesel 4x4 4 door Long bed Rear Camper package Rear air bags Progressive lockers Honda 2000 Genset 120W soft 12V 4lb panels 1 140amp/h sealed deep cycle battery . 1995 BMW GS with Ural Sidecar.

QUOTE(skyhammer @ Jan 22 2017, 04:37 PM)
I re-caulked my camper last Summer. It didn't need it, but I did it anyway. I was easy. It took 4 tubes to do all the seams and 2 tubes of dicor to do the skylights and AC.
I spent the most time removing the old dicor with a heat gun and scraper, but it went quickly.
I found that the key was to cut the nipple on the caulk to the correct angle and width, and not to caulk when it is cold.

We are in Louisiana right now, headed West in about a week or so and Ontario is kind of far for now, but Thank You for the tip.

Skyhammer. I do understand that Dicor Lap sealant is the best. When you say "4 tubes to do all the seams" did you use something else besides the 2 tube of Dicor? And if you did, why wouldn't you strictly use Dicor all around?

I also understand that "Eternabond" tape is great and can be applied [pressure sensitive] to any existing caulking, except silicone, after cleaning the existing caulking, with like Simple Green. Why not do the skykights, AC, vents, with the tape over it all? Seems like much less work to me. Not that I can get on the roof yet!!!
Thanks...

--------------------
Stay well, Ara and Spirit
www.theoasisofmysoul.com
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Jan 22 2017, 06:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

QUOTE(AraWithSpirit @ Jan 22 2017, 05:23 PM)
We are in Louisiana right now, headed West in about a week or so and Ontario is kind of far for now, but Thank You for the tip.

Skyhammer. I do understand that Dicor Lap sealant is the best. When you say "4 tubes to do all the seams" did you use something else besides the 2 tube of Dicor? And if you did, why wouldn't you strictly use Dicor all around?

I also understand that "Eternabond" tape is great and can be applied [pressure sensitive] to any existing caulking, except silicone, after cleaning the existing caulking, with like Simple Green. Why not do the skykights, AC, vents, with the tape over it all? Seems like much less work to me. Not that I can get on the roof yet!!!
Thanks...

I just use what Host gave me and applied it where they said.
Dicor is self leveling and rather thick/putty like. I was told to use it only on the skylights etc., on the roof.Don't think it would work well on vertical surfaces. It never seems to harden very much and it flows, which is the self leveling part. It is rather thick and would may not look very good on the narrow, thin seams on the walls.
Host gave me "Big Stretch" for all the other seams, I also use this at home on my windows and bathrooms.
I was lucky to visit the factory and see my camper several times while it was being built. Host gave me a lot of spare parts and fittings in case I needed them. If something breaks, the send me the parts, so far for no charge and it has been 5 years.
I have taken the owners fishing several times, so maybe that helps.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
towpro
post Jan 23 2017, 08:53 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,281
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 15 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 Arctic Fox 990

for everything accept the roof, I would recommend Geocel for RV's for the sides. now the roof depends on what your roof is made from.

rubber roof? dicore.
TPO Vinyl Roof? jury is still out on this one. dicore makes a product, but in small print it says its a 2 part solution and I have never seen the missing part.

+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Jan 23 2017, 01:05 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Every RV that spends it's entire life outside needs to have a once over, every year checking all the seams and laps. Mine stays inside, only going out to camp but I still watch everything just the same.

Certainly a 'do it yourself' operation. Nothing complex other than using the right stuff.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:45 AM