IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Outline ] · Standard · Linear+

> Right Size Truck, Are Truck Campers Too Top Heavy?

gaylajeanne
post Jul 4 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,901
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 861
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: New to Truck Campers

I have a 2004 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins Diesel, single rear wheels and air suspension. I am considering trading in my 5th wheel for a Lance 861 truck camper. The truck is a hoss towing the 5th wheel and seems very stout but I am concerned about being top heavy by moving the weight forward with the Lance.

Does anyone drive with this combo or have an opinion about it. Do you know of any safety concerns?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
McClish
post Jul 5 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,858
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2500HD GMC 4X4 Crew Duramax with a Big Al
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: GMC 2500HD 4X4, airbags, Happijac Tiedowns, Lance 845 loaded

QUOTE(gaylajeanne @ Jul 4 2008, 02:29 PM)
I have a 2004 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins Diesel, single rear wheels and air suspension. I am considering trading in my 5th wheel for a Lance 861 truck camper. The truck is a hoss towing the 5th wheel and seems very stout but I am concerned about being top heavy by moving the weight forward with the Lance.

Does anyone drive with this combo or have an opinion about it. Do you know of any safety concerns?

Unless the 3500 has a lift kit on on it I would be concerned only with the load range on your tires; they sound like the weak link in your proposed combination. I drive gmc 2500hd 4X4 duramax all day with the lance 845 towing 2500 lbs + on a single wheel. I considered the 861 but went without the slide to lighten the load. I run D load range tires. They are stock tires and don't look very fancy but carry the load.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:56 PM