> Off loading at camp site, Off loading at camp site

Beatrice
post Aug 5 2015, 01:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,373
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Camplite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F150 extended cab long bed heavy duty payload
Type of Tiedowns used: don't know yet...
Truck and Camper Setup: I'm here to learn so I don't have a set up yet.

Making the assumption that a person can load the camper on and off without a problem, is it feasible to off load it at a long term stay campsite (for example somewhere I plan to stay a week) and then have the ability to take the truck on excursions? One use I want is to attend a conference that is a few miles from my planned campground, and I'd like to just off load the camper and leave it there for the week while still having the truck to go back and forth daily to the conference.
So, do people do this, and if so, how do you protect it against a thief loading it up and running off with it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joemcg
post Aug 9 2015, 09:48 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,397
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350 drw crew cab (1991)
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: F350, happijacs, air bags, Rancho shocks, Reese tow beast class V

Sure. I normally offload if we'll be in the spot more than one day and haven't driven the car separately.

That said, you will run into campgrounds that specifically prohibit offloading. Examples that I am aware of are our County Parks here in San Diego and the Oasis RV park in Las Vegas.

--------------------
1995 Lance 880
1991 F350 CC Dually
Also Pacific Coachworks 276RBS TT
+Quote Post
december45
post Oct 29 2015, 07:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,549
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: f250
Type of Tiedowns used: happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance165s

QUOTE(Joemcg @ Aug 9 2015, 06:48 AM)
Sure. I normally offload if we'll be in the spot more than one day and haven't driven the car separately.

That said, you will run into campgrounds that specifically prohibit offloading. Examples that I am aware of are our County Parks here in San Diego and the Oasis RV park in Las Vegas.

I am curious, when you off load the camper, do you support the front of the camper, (and I'm not sure how you would do that) I am wondering about sleeping and moving around in the bed area, hanging out pretty far past the jacks, is there any chance of tipping?
+Quote Post
dubob
post Nov 1 2015, 08:27 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,605
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2011 Lance 992
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, Ext Cab, 6.0L
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac w/ Qwik-Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: TC pulled behind the truck on a gooseneck trailer

QUOTE(december45 @ Oct 29 2015, 06:00 PM)
I am curious, when you off load the camper, do you support  the front of the camper, (and I'm not sure how you would do that) I am wondering about sleeping and moving around in the bed area, hanging out pretty far past the jacks, is there any chance of tipping?

No, there is no chance of tipping from any activity inside by you. But you should lower it to as close to the ground that you can based on what hangs below the camper floor/basement. Some examples would be generator exhaust and rear bumper step overhang. When I used to do that, I never had any issues with it while camping even in 35 mph winds.

But be aware, as has already been stated, there are CGs that do not allow this, so be sure to ask before you do it.

--------------------
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 75 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." - Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." = Dr. Seuss

user posted image
+Quote Post
17 Oaks
post Nov 1 2015, 09:48 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,291
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox 1150
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '15 F 350 Dually 4x4 CC/LB King Ranch
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: '15 F350, Rancho 9000XLS, StableLoads, Hellwig Big sway bar

If we are traveling and just spending the night and rolling out in the AM we don't off load, but the rest of the time we do. Do lower it close to the ground for stability. I don't think there is any issue with it tipping forward.

Yes some CG's post no offloading...I have NO idea why and our experience over 6 years is no one else knowns why, I have even asked is it because it does not have wheels???? Anyhow I never bring it up until we get ready to leave and no one has EVER said or left a note saying no offloading or words to that effect...my advice is not NOT ask permission. When you ask permission you rarely get a yes answer, its always NO, so I operate under the principal that forgiveness is easier to come by than permission.
+Quote Post
dubob
post Nov 1 2015, 12:18 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,605
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2011 Lance 992
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, Ext Cab, 6.0L
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac w/ Qwik-Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: TC pulled behind the truck on a gooseneck trailer

QUOTE(17 Oaks @ Nov 1 2015, 08:48 AM)
If we are traveling and just spending the night and rolling out in the AM we don't off load, but the rest of the time we do.  Do lower it close to the ground for stability.  I don't think there is any issue with it tipping forward.

Yes some CG's post no offloading...I have NO idea why and our experience over 6 years is no one else knowns why, I have even asked is it because it does not have wheels????  Anyhow I never bring it up until we get ready to leave and no one has EVER said or left a note saying no offloading or words to that effect...my advice is not NOT ask permission.  When you ask permission you rarely get a yes answer, its always NO, so I operate under the principal that forgiveness is easier to come by than permission.

The most often heard reason is that the local fire department forbids it due to the inability to roll it out of the way should the need arise during an emergency. No federal campground or state park that I have ever used (and I have certainly not used them all) told me I couldn't do it. Private campgrounds operate under different rules and are governed by local ordinances and some of those prohibit unloading a truck camper in an RV park. I would ask first but have no problem at all with anyone who chooses not to ask first. 17 Oaks is correct that forgiveness is easier to come by than permission.

--------------------
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 75 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." - Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." = Dr. Seuss

user posted image
+Quote Post
17 Oaks
post Dec 6 2015, 07:47 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,291
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox 1150
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '15 F 350 Dually 4x4 CC/LB King Ranch
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: '15 F350, Rancho 9000XLS, StableLoads, Hellwig Big sway bar

W always take ours off if we are to be there more than a couple of days. Do as other have said, lower close to the ground, this is to keep high winds from blowing it over. Wind can do that also it makes it far more stable when you are moving around in it.

Yea there are a few CG that say not off loading. Just remember this: Forgiveness is easier to come by than permission.

As for the FD needing to move it if its on fire: Yea, sounds like total BS to me. Most of the the big rigs 40 w/ tag axle will tip scales at 45,000 lbs +++, if its on fire no one in their right mind would move it...TO WHERE???? and HOW?????
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:17 AM