Freespool
post Sep 25 2016, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Hey Skyhammer, I used this title in hopes of catching your eye. How was your recent outing. Feel free to tell me about weather, fishing, location of campground. I am busy making last minute preparations for my month long shake down trip with my new Arctic Fox. I plan on giving Oregon a real good look, the internet is so helpful at assisting me on these trips. I will focus on three lakes, here is a clue, CP, P and E. No need to discuss to much when it comes to fishing. I hope I am not to late in the season, from what I have read the camp grounds stay open till late October. I am watching the weather forecast and it looks like winter is on it's way in your neck of the woods. How are the bugs this time of year?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Sep 26 2016, 04:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

I had a fantastic trip! caught over 200 kokanee and Browns.
This time of year the fish are really feeding heavily.
At East/Paulina, average morning temps. were 18*, but 70's 80' in the afternoon.
In October, you will have to really watch the weather that high, but the Browns will be n the prowl.
CP is about 2500' lower, it will be cold, but the rainbows will be feeding heavily.
CP is basically a flooded field, no deeper than 50', mostly 20'.
Reminds me of Southern lakes, lots of flooded timber,more like a large pond.
Odell is close by and is much better fishing IMO.Perfect for bass boats. The other lakes really require down riggers to fish properly.
No reservation at the campgrounds this time of year, first come, first serve.Not a problem as most places are nearly empty.
P has the best campground, E, there sites are to small.Site #3 and #6 are the best sites at P., but there are many that are nearly 100' long for all your stuff.
Plenty of room to dump the camper and park the boat, truck and camper.
No bugs this time of year, to dang cold.
Where I live in Humboldt County(think Redwoods), the weather is usually good through October. 40's at night, high 80's during the day. Most of the bugs are gone.
It is the height of the dope harvest season, so you will see things that will boggle your mind.
If you are coming from LaPIne, take 97 south to 138 West, this skates Crater Lake, keep going SW to Grants Pass, take 199 to Crescent City, which is the beginning of the Redwoods.
Lots of State campgrounds in the Redwoods and lots to see, especially if you have never been in the Redwoods.
The roads pretty much go to hell once you enter Calif., Oregon roads are fantastic compared to ours.
Let me know if you need more specifics.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Sep 26 2016, 05:17 PM
Post #3

Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Thanks a bunch, this sounds cold but hey it's October. I got started on this October thing a few years ago because that's when the high sierra lakes start getting down to the low 50s, when this happens the browns come up and start thinking inlets. I may start next year getting out after Labor day in order to get slightly warmer temps. I am assuming your fly fishing, I don't do that yet so it's either fly lining night crawlers, throwing stick baits, dragging blades on mono or lead core, I suppose I can use a casting bobber with a long leader and a nymph if I need to. I am a little better rigged for green carp and strippers since I live down here where they are more sought after. Our trout are just soft plants that usually fall victim to the strippers and larger green carp. I plan on looking into fly rigs next year since my retirement home will probably be in trout country. My plan is to start at E or P around the 9th or 10th and then go to CP since it's lower in elevation. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and if it does I may boon dock for an extra week since I have never seen this area. Basically weather and fishing will determine how long a stay at any one location. I will look up O and see how it looks, if anything else comes to mind that you think might be helpful let me know.
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Sep 27 2016, 07:08 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

I camp at P and fish E. P is a prettier lake, but E is better fishing. Both have hot springs that you can warm up in if you are wearing waders.
E is managed as a trophy Brown lake, can't keep any Browns over 20".
I don't fly fish, I mainly troll with DR's or long long line 150'-200' behind the boat.
Half of E is shallow, less than 40', the other half is deeper to 200'.
Fly guys usually fish the shallow end.
I always try to catch the grand slam at E. Rainbows, Atlantic, Browns and Kokanee. The Kokanee will be in full spawning mode this time of the year,although you can still catch next years fish, which will be chrome.
P has the State record for Browns, but the lake has a much deeper average depth, for sheer #'s E is the place to fish.
Both lakes fish best at 40' deep, so DR's are the best way to get down, other wise your have to use up to 5oz of weight. I troll at 1-1.2 MPG.As the a water gets colder, the fish get a little shallower. Water temp now will be in the 55* range except when you go over hot springs bubbling up.
I caught over 200 fish in Sept. over 12 days. The Browns were attacking the Kokanee as I reeled them in.
Got 13 Browns 4-9.5lbs. A 20" Brown weighs 4lbs.
I use 5.25" sling blade dodgers with a matching apex for the lure.
Atlantic Salmon from E.
user posted image
Brown from E.
user posted image
Rainbow from E.
user posted image
Some dodgers I use.
user posted image
Hot springs at P.
user posted image

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Sep 27 2016, 05:27 PM
Post #5

This is great, thank you so much. These pictures and info will be very helpful. Since you have been so accommodating I will spill the beans to you and everyone else who follows are post. Providing you have a great picture of your rig loaded and on a dirt road you can enter a contest. Check out Truck Camper Adventures and read what Mike is doing and offering for fun. "Photo Contest" Good luck and stay in touch.
+Quote Post
DarwinS
post Oct 30 2017, 01:08 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,853
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northwood
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ram 2500
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: Got Ram 2500 and looking at a Artic Fox 990. Here to get some details.

Skyhammer that sounds a great trip! Too bad about PB restriction on these photos
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:41 AM