fishguts
post Mar 23 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,370
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Ford
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2004 F250 Super Duty, Crew 4x4, short box
Type of Tiedowns used: Fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2011 Lance 855 with generator, torklift with fast guns, titan class V hitch

Hello: I am a newbie to the boards so I naturally have more questions than answers. LOL

I just purchased Lance model 855 with the Generator for my 2004 F250 Super Duty/Crew, 4x4, Gas V10 Engine. I've go the tork lift and fast gun tie downs.
It rode nicely the 80 miles home which included some narrow roads and freeway, no swaying back and forth even as a few big trucks came by and the truck didn't work hard at all. I have class E tires.
I do know I now need to add air bags to level the load since it squashed down a bit when we loaded it. I should have gone with my gut and had them put on initially but kept getting told that I probably wouldn't need them and to drive it first.
I figure that would be the next step, add the air bags to level the load and then take it out for a spin again. should I go with the 100 or 110 pound bags? I will be pulling a 20ft boat as well from time to time.
I have the Titan hitch on it but still need to measure the length to order the extension. How do I figure out what length of extension I will need so I don't one too short or long.
Thank you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fishguts
post Apr 3 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #2

Truck and Camper Setup: 2011 Lance 855 with generator, torklift with fast guns, titan class V hitch

We took our first test trip and it all went well. The air ride bags I installed worked well, notice some right to left swaying now a little more than I think there should be (comparing to my former class C motor home) so I am now looking in to adding the shocks to stiffen it up a bit.
I am looking at the Rancho 9000. Any comments? Anyone?
+Quote Post
kerry4951
post Apr 5 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,121
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually Crew cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/ Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually w/ Arctic Fox 1140 DB Torklift tie downs w/ Fastguns Supersprings, Air bags, Helwig sway bar, Bilstein shocks, Torklift stable loads, Front timbrens

Alot of guys use and love Ranchos. I live in an area where the highway dept loves to use corrosive ice melt on the roads in the winter. I did not want to take the chance with having the adjustment valve corroding and giving me problems. I know some talk about Ranchos lifetime warranty, but who wants to remove and replace shocks any more than necesary. I went with the heavy duty Bilsteins and they work very well. No adjustments required so I dont have to worry about inoperative valves, or reaching under the truck to make the adjustments before and after each trip. To me its one less thing to worry about.
+Quote Post
fishguts
post Apr 5 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #4

How is the ride after you remove your TC ?
Thanks for you input.
+Quote Post
kerry4951
post Apr 5 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,121
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually Crew cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/ Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually w/ Arctic Fox 1140 DB Torklift tie downs w/ Fastguns Supersprings, Air bags, Helwig sway bar, Bilstein shocks, Torklift stable loads, Front timbrens

My truck rides like a truck when empty, but not because of the Bilsteins. I use Supersprings which I love for hauling the TC around, but they do make for a harder ride when empty. I have air bags but never use them and would never install them on another truck. For me they were a waste of money. I am too sold on the SS's. I carry 5000 lb load with TC and gear, and I usually forget its back there.
+Quote Post
gkas
post Apr 5 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,625
Favorite Truck Camper(s): n/a
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: n/a
Type of Tiedowns used: n/a
Truck and Camper Setup: n/a

QUOTE(fishguts @ Mar 23 2011, 07:11 AM)
I just purchased Lance model 855 with the Generator for my 2004 F250 Super Duty/Crew, 4x4, Gas V10 Engine. I've go the tork lift and fast gun tie downs.
It rode nicely the 80 miles home which included some narrow roads and freeway, no swaying back and forth even as a few big trucks came by and the truck didn't work hard at all. I have class E tires.
I do know I now need to add air bags to level the load since it squashed down a bit when we loaded it. I should have gone with my gut and had them put on initially but kept getting told that I probably wouldn't need them and to drive it first.
I figure that would be the next step, add the air bags to level the load and then take it out for a spin again. should I go with the 100 or 110 pound bags?  I will be pulling a 20ft boat as well from time to time.

I recently purchased a Lance 855 also. I bought it to put on my 2011 SD 6.7 Diesel CC SRW SB. I love this combo. I got the camper package for the truck when I ordered it. I added Firestone 2535 no-drill air bags. My son put them on for me in a couple of hours. I added a AirLift 72000 Wireless air. It was a bit more expensive to add the wireless, but it was definitely worth it. It was easy to tune the ride. I can also raise or lower the rear of the truck to level the camper when stopped. I normally ride with 55 pounds of air pressure in the bags.
+Quote Post
fishguts
post Sep 30 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #7

Well now here is my update. With the air rides and the ranchos and the hitch cut to length, I have taken my TC and boat out several times and everything is working great.

One final question out of paranoia:

I currently have Big O tires 265 75 R16 Big Foots. Load range E. I inflate to 80 psi when loaded to go. Should I consider a different tire or changing rims?
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Oct 1 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #8

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

I run Big O AT's at 80 psi and love the tires and have had no problems with them. I also run the XT's on my Jeep...

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
fishguts
post Oct 1 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #9

Thanks for our input. smile.gif
+Quote Post
TODDFINK
post Sep 21 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,273
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ALL
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: oH1 2500 GMC ECSB
Type of Tiedowns used: My own design'd pin mounts
Truck and Camper Setup: 2500 gmc, timbrens under the back, 92' Viking SP080 on the back, pulling a jeep usually.

The brand of tire is not important really.

The load rating is the key. I run load range E on my truck. I carry a lighter load though. About 5400 on the rear axle. My tires are rated for 6200 lbs.

Depending on the weight your running you might need heavier rated tires.

I run treadwright retreads and have had no issues.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:34 PM