BarbOh!
post Feb 18 2012, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,884
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Travel Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Don't have one yet
Type of Tiedowns used: N/A
Truck and Camper Setup: I need help picking a truck for the 2002 Travel Lite 960R camper that we just purchased.

We just purchased a 2002 Travel Lite 960R truck camper. We have been told we need a 3/4 ton, long bed truck to be able to carry the camper. We would also like to get an extended (NOT CREW) cab. Does this sound realistic? Should we stay away from four wheel drive vehicles? In just taking a quick look around at local dealerships tonight, we were disappointed to see very, very few long bed trucks on the lot. It seems like everyone is selling crew cab, short beds. We need more bed, less cab! We don't care if we buy a Ford, Chevy, whatever. Oh, and does anyone recommend diesel over gas?

And, we are very, very excited about using our truck camper this year.

Thanks for any info!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wirenut
post Feb 21 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,845
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '05 Chevy crew cab dually 4 x 4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac turnbuckles, D rings in the flat bed
Truck and Camper Setup: I have a custom aluminum flatbed on my '05 Chevy crew cab dually. It has tool boxes above and below the bed. I carry my '03 Fleetwood 11x side entry camper. I also tow my 20' Larson boat behind.

Congratulations on the new camper. I'm sure you'll need at least a 3/4 ton truck. Personally, I would skip that and get a 1 ton. They're the same size, look the same, drive the same, etc. but can haul more weight. Most people hauling truck campers are over their GVWR. You might as well get a high one to start.
Getting a truck that is lighter in weight will also leave more payload for hauling your camper. Extended cabs are lighter than crew, 2 wheel drive is lighter than 4, gas is lighter than diesel. However, there is not reason to stay away from 4 x 4 if you need/want it and no reason to buy it if you don't. It's your choice. I would personally never own another 2 wheel drive truck but I live in the mountains where it snows.
Diesel is great if you need it. For just hauling a truck camper you don't need it. A diesel is made to run hard and long. Using one for daily short commute and errands around town can cause problems and is hard on a diesel more than a gas engine. For just hauling the camper I would go gas. If you also plan on towing heavy trailers, I would consider a diesel.
My personal recommendation on a truck is a GM 3500. I have owned 4 GM HD pick-ups over the last 10 years and had no major problems with any of them. They were all work trucks and earned their keep hauling and towing everyday.
+Quote Post
BarbOh!
post Feb 22 2012, 06:51 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,884
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Travel Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Don't have one yet
Type of Tiedowns used: N/A
Truck and Camper Setup: I need help picking a truck for the 2002 Travel Lite 960R camper that we just purchased.

Thank you so much, very helpful information! I think we'll go with the one ton, but stay away from a 4x4 (it does snow where we live, but it's FLAT!) And, with the predicted price of gas this coming summer, we'll be staying fairly close to home. As much as I love to go west every year (jealous of the fact you live in mountains!), I still live in a very beautiful state (Michigan) with many, many scenic areas. Thanks again!
+Quote Post
Campingguy
post Feb 26 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,904
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Six-Pac
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1984 1.25 Ton Army Chevy (CUCV) 6.2L Diesel and 2007 GMC Dually Crewcab 4X4 Duramax Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 1984 Army Chevy (CUCV) shelter carrier with Gear Vendors overdrive, Banks Sidewinder turbo, KYB Monomax shocks and 1989 Six-Pac 8.5 Foot with multiple upgrades and updates such as EPDM Rubber Roof and upgraded power inverter/battery charger.

Your camper should have a decal inside, usually on the inside of a cupboard door, that gives weights, capacities of you water and waste tanks and so on. You need to look at the maximum loaded weight and then make sure the pickup you get is able to carry it. If you plan to pull a trailer or think there's a possibility then consider that, too. If someone tells you that you can just add overload springs or air bags they're only partly correct. The braking system is different between a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton and so on and just because you can carry it doesn't mean you can stop it. I always go over what I think I need and usually end up needing it. The past 4 or 5 years I've gotten into gold panning as a hobby and often pull a utility trailer with a bunch of stuff in it, something I'd have never thought to plan for but am glad I have the truck to handle it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:39 AM