IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Need some advice - Dually or SWD?, Should I purchase a Dually or SWD?

AdventureSeeker
post Jun 15 2017, 04:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,575
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Artic Fox (on order)
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2017 Ford F350 Lariat
Type of Tiedowns used: none yet
Truck and Camper Setup: Diesel, Dually

We finally made it to retirement and now we are in the process of selecting our truck camper rig. Would really appreciate some wisdom. We have selected a Artic Fox 865 and a new Ford F350 with camper package and Diesel Engine. Now the hand mashing begins based upon what I have read. The question is ... SW or Dually?? If we go with the SW will have about 500lbs of unused cargo capacity so plenty of extra runway in the weight department. I am concerned about stability but I like the thought of driving a regular pick up around town when its not loaded. What does the voice of experience say??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chief 2
post Jun 16 2017, 05:18 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,469
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Chevrolet 3500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac with Quick Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 Edge Attitude, 4" exhaust, Airaid Air Intake, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig, Cabover struts. Lance 1172 loaded with 200 watt Renogy solar and Zamp controller

I use my dually as my daily driver. I don't do drive thru at fast food restaurants and the bank and park a little farther out at Wal Mart, but I need the exercise anyway. The stability of a dually is great when loaded and if you should decide in the future to upgrade to a bigger TC or a 5'r you will already have the truck to haul it.
+Quote Post
AdventureSeeker
post Jun 16 2017, 08:08 AM
Post #3

Thanks Chief 2 really appreciate the response and we can all use an extra walk so no problem there. Just to give you a bit more info... We will be driving about 85% of the time on paved roads as we drive across the country including Alaska. The other 15% would be on BMI Roads and Forest Service roads in Colorado, Utah, etc. What are your thoughts about a dually on BMI and Forest Service Roads? Also... and I know this is a dumb question but I guess you hand wash a dually since it wont fit in a car wash... do I have this correct too? Thanks again... I never thought that upgrading from a tent camper to a truck camper would be so much different. I just want to get it right.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Jun 16 2017, 08:40 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Because I primarily camp off road 99% of the time, I dually isn't workable and I don't want one anyway. More tires to replace and wide hips to worry about (my wife drive my truck too).

Never seen a dual tired pickup running off road. Just don't work, Trails are too narrow for one and in the goo, a dual rear tired axle is worse than a single tire.

Might be more stable with a big camper but I size my TC to my truck, not the other way around.

Dual rear tired trucks are for improved campgrounds and I TC to be remotely located, not in some campground with screaming kids, golf carts and inconsiderate RV'ers all around.

Getting away to me isn't a pay for the honor of camping at a campground. I can stay home and be comfortable if that was the case...
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Jun 16 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

"Never seen a dual tired pickup running off road. Just don't work,
I guess you don't get out much. Nearly every rancher out West has and needs DRW.
I have 35 miles of STEEP, single lane roads on my ranch and the DRW works just fine.
While it is true that a DRW does not do as well in mud, I don't have a problem and we average over 100" of rain/year, so I know mud.
I don't use the DRW I haul the camper with on the ranch very much. The 175.9" wheel base is a little long, for SRW's and DRW's.
I use a 147.9" super cab DRW for most things.
I could get by with a SRW, but when I steep, winding roads, carrying more than a dozen cows constantly shifting their weight, a DRW is makes the drive much nicer, plus I can load the trailer up with more cows, cutting transportation costs.
Oh, and I have never stayed at an improved campground with my DRW.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
AdventureSeeker
post Jun 16 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #6

Skyhammer and Sidecarflip thanks for responding it really helps. We live in the upper north east and live in a rural town near the ocean. I know sand real well cause I surf fish and such… I see all kinds of TC’s on the deserted beaches where I go so have a good idea what a DW and SW will do in the sand. In our case our here, it really depends on the type of sand. I can go 10 miles in one direction and get stuck in about 30 seconds and then go to another beach with a different sand base and be fine. Its hard to tell unless you do it alot. All I can say is it will be really nice being able to get in out of the wind and cold and warm up a bit so that I can stay out there longer.

The West on the other hand I know little about so your input is really invaluable to us because the west and Canada is where most of our time will be spent. We are like you guys… we want to have the option to go on unimproved roads like the BLM and Forest Service that are steep, occasionally wash boarded, occasionally rutty and still be comfortable. We don’t plan on doing serious rock climbing and such but we want to be able to get away from the crowds.

Sidecarflip is sounds like you do some serious 4 wheeling that’s for sure. Skyhammer if I do the dually I was thinking about going with a 164” wheel base since I need the supercab for some storage (supercab/long bed). I wish ford or GM made a dually in a short bed supercab but they don’t cause I like the 148”base better too.

Any other comments welcomed.. thanks again for responding.

+Quote Post
Chief 2
post Jun 17 2017, 05:32 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,469
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Chevrolet 3500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac with Quick Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 Edge Attitude, 4" exhaust, Airaid Air Intake, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig, Cabover struts. Lance 1172 loaded with 200 watt Renogy solar and Zamp controller

Back in 2012 we went out west with my current truck and a 1181 Lance TC which is comparable weight wise to my current 1172. While in Idaho for 6 weeks we spent most of our time off the grid way back in remote areas that I traveled some rough roads and had no issues. Unless you plan on going down extremely tight roads I wouldn't worry about a dually at all.
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Jun 17 2017, 03:36 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

QUOTE(AdventureSeeker @ Jun 16 2017, 05:25 PM)
Skyhammer and Sidecarflip thanks for responding it really helps.  We live in the upper north east and live in a rural town near the ocean. I know sand real well cause I surf fish and such… I see all kinds of TC’s on the deserted beaches where I go so have a good idea what a DW and SW will do in the sand.  In our case our here, it really depends on the type of sand.  I can go 10 miles in one direction and get stuck in about 30 seconds and then go to another beach with a different sand base and be fine.  Its hard to tell unless you do it alot. All I can say is it will be really nice being able to get in out of the wind and cold and warm up a bit so that I can stay out there longer.

The West on the other hand I know little about so your input is really invaluable to us because the west and Canada is where most of our time will be spent.  We are like you guys… we want to have the option to go on unimproved roads like the BLM and Forest Service that are steep, occasionally wash boarded, occasionally rutty and still be comfortable.  We don’t plan on doing serious rock climbing and such but we want to be able to get away from the crowds.

Sidecarflip is sounds like you do some serious 4 wheeling that’s for sure.  Skyhammer if I do the dually I was thinking about going with a 164” wheel base since I need the supercab for some storage (supercab/long bed).  I wish ford or GM made a dually in a short bed supercab but they don’t cause I like the 148”base better too.

Any other comments welcomed.. thanks again for responding.

One thing to consider about wheel base length is how long your overhead is.
My camper was designed for a crew cab. My overhead is 8.5' long,I can't see it when driving. On my super cab, the overhead would stick out more than 2' over the trucks hood, greatly reducing vision. On a regular cab, the overhead would nearly at the front of the hood, it would be like driving in a tunnel.
The length of camper overheads vary a lot. Just need to decide on how much vision obstruction you can handle, if any.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
AdventureSeeker
post Jun 23 2017, 06:22 PM
Post #9

I wanted to update you all and thank you again for your help. I have decided to go with the Dually Ford or Chevy at this point. I don't plan on going down real tight roads. Since the camper doesn't get delivered until fall I have some time yet to finalize everything.

I didn't think about the front over hang regarding wheel base. I'll do some measuring. I really dont have a problem with 2 feet but if it gets any longer than that I would be swearing at myself for not thinking about it... didn't even cross my mind. Thanks again.
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Jun 25 2017, 04:16 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

You made the right choice. Big campers and big trailers need dual wheel, long wheel base trucks. Now pick the truck that has the best transmission. My 32 years of experience driving big rigs told me to buy the Allison. Driving my 2016 GMC, dually, crew cab, 4x4 diesel is a pleasure. I can drive with my bed loaded and a 7500 lb trailer in tow at what ever speed I choose up any grade. The combination of tow mode and a compression brake controls the rig going down hill with little or no brake pressure. Last year while towing a 3000 lb boat trailer and having a 5000 lb camper in the bed the results were the same. Fuel millage stays in the mid 13 range with a full tank lasting 525 miles. Currently, my demands of the truck are minimal but the future is coming quick and my needs will triple, that is when I will most appreciate the diesel/Allison drive train. Here is a little extra food for thought, September and October are by far the best time to buy. Talk to your dealer if you will be ordering a custom truck since there is a cut off time when the factory switches over to the next model year. Good luck
+Quote Post
AdventureSeeker
post Jun 26 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #11

Thanks Freespool.. I watched a UTUBE vedio from the FTL truck guys and they tested the RAM, Chevy and Ford in what I thought was a pretty good test. Link follows. I like these guys because they dont seem to have a bone to pick. Chevy came out first followed by RAM and then Ford. I need to watch it again but they were shocked and I was really shocked given all the marketing glitz Ford does. I also love Fords and I have to say I am in denial at this point. Cant agree more on the Alison Transmissions by the way.

One thing Ford has that Chevy doesn't is the BLIS (blind spot assist). I dont need it but my wife for some reason cant judge blinds spots and I dont want to end up in the median inverted someday while I am taking a nap. Hopefully GM will come out with something in 2018 so I am not torn between GM or Ford when I order.

Appreciate the insight.

FTL link follows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GxztJit22A&t=1301s
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Jun 26 2017, 01:15 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Here is a few more thoughts. I used to be a Ford guy but I never had very good service life from them. My last and only Ford diesel was bought new in 88, this was the 1st year of the 7.3. 19 times, mostly by tow truck it returned to the dealer, after 2 years of grief I sold it. The experience was so regretful that it took me 28 years before I bought my second domestic diesel. For me, even though Ford has improved greatly they were never considered. Driving up and down the interstate I still see more dead Fords than any other brand. The GMC/Chevy diesel trucks in 2016 were mostly unchanged while the Fords and the Dodges were in a HP&Torque race to be king of the hill. I wanted the tried and proven truck. 2017 brought big changes to the bow tie brand, torque and HP were significantly increased. I would have left the drive train alone and added a gauge for the deft tank, bigger tires and wheels and a better radio with CD compatibility. Providing a electric sliding rear window would also be nice. The bottom line with today's powerful diesel trucks offered by the big three is that they will all do anything 95% of us want providing they are kept in good running condition. Today's truck buyers have much too be happy about. The only real down side is that they all cost so much. One closing thought, having stated you are interested in a camper be very careful when you choose your truck. Make sure you know exactly what your camper and all other payload weight equals. Look at the drivers side door jamb for the max payload number that the truck is rated to carry. Today's large campers when combined with tongue weight, occupants, food and of coarse beer can easily exceed even 1 ton truck capacity's. Extended cabs, diesels and 4x4 options greatly reduce what the payload will be. Compare a 1 ton gas, super cab two wheel drive truck to a 4x4 crew cab diesel. The weight that both trucks are rated for will be vastly different. Do your home work before you decide, other wise you may be sorry.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:01 AM