Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Extra storage, How to create more storage space

homeless
post Jun 28 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,191
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2500 HD extended cab short box 4x4 Chevy Silverado
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: air bags, happijac tiedowns, rancho shocks, titan 43 gal fuel tank

Getting ready for our first trip on 811 Arctic Fox with slide - 4 weeks, 6,500 miles - and we need more storage! We are thinking about a storage box on the top, the front or rear. Rear is a problem because we have a rear entrance. What have you long-termers found -- that works best. thanks (I've already tried "Don't take that!")
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dirt Sailor
post Jun 29 2009, 06:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,973
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy 3500 dualy 4x4 ext. cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy 3500 and a Lance LC 980.

I'm not a full-timer, but I feel your storage issues. IMO, that is the biggest draw-back to truck campers. I have a storage box on the roof that I use for relatively light items that I don't need often, or come out and stay out while I am at a campground.

If you put something on the front, make sure there is a clear path to your radiator! I made that mistake last winter. After you set your gear up, walk a couple of feet away and look at your truck. If you can't see at least 75% of your grill, then don't do it. You will have overheating problems.

I have a rear access camper too, I know what a pain it is to use a carrier on the back. If I'm not hauling a trailer, I put my carrier on the rear hitch and that's where I carry my generator & fuel. It is a pain because if we need to get into the camper on the road, I have to unstrap the generator and roll it to one side.

I've seen a lot of people with small enclosed cargo trailers like the kind you can get at Lowes. Don't know what your budget is, but that might be an option to look into.
Here are some examples, the prices tend to go up from there:
Example 1
Example 2

--------------------
Steve
Pacific Beach, CA

1990 Chevy 3500
1990 Lance LC980
+Quote Post
LindaH
post Jun 29 2009, 02:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,829
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Eagle Cap
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually (Cummins engine)
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Eagle Cap 950, 2 100-watt solar panels, 2 6-volt AGM batteries, 1000-watt pure sine wave inverter, Motosat Executive satellite TV dish, Torklift 5-step Glow Steps.

QUOTE(homeless @ Jun 28 2009, 08:47 AM)
We are thinking about a storage box on the top, the front or rear.  Rear is a problem because we have a rear entrance.

There are swing-away boxes that might fit the bill for you. http://www.stowaway2.com/product.aspx?id=79

However, no matter what you use, be cognizant of the additional weight. In fact, before adding any kind of storage box, you might want to take your loaded rig down to the local scales and get it weighed. You might reconsider some of the stuff you're taking!
+Quote Post
John Sardaro
post Jul 1 2009, 08:27 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,164
Favorite Truck Camper(s): artic fox or lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350 4x4 SRW Extended cab
Type of Tiedowns used: ? tiedowns are bolted to truck frame
Truck and Camper Setup: F350, air springs, frame mounted tie downs, Lance mod. 1150

QUOTE(LindaH @ Jun 29 2009, 07:52 PM)
There are swing-away boxes that might fit the bill for you.  http://www.stowaway2.com/product.aspx?id=79

However, no matter what you use, be cognizant of the additional weight.  In fact, before adding any kind of storage box, you might want to take your loaded rig down to the local scales and get it weighed.  You might reconsider some of the stuff you're taking!

We generally stop to shop every three to five days, do laundry etc. This allows us to pack lighter, using less of our storage for every day items. Buy the smaller size products, as opposed to the giant economy size. We have been using truck campers since 1970, and go to great lengths to make do with the storage we have. Adding storage, changes your weight center and could possibly put an over weight on an axle, if not put you over the trucks capacity (GVW). In my mind , if you can't make do with the storage you have, you need a unit that is configured different, or a larger unit.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:16 PM