Freespool
post Sep 18 2016, 07:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Well it's finally done, the new truck is now is equipped with a brand new 20K super hitch, air bags Tallon tie downs,Fastguns, locks and both wire harnesses. I will be using a 42" truss. The reason for the post is to talk about cost and weight. I know I went top of the line and even had it installed but 3715, REALLY, OUCH. I personally think this is 1 of many reasons why truck campers make up a small percentage of the RV industry. I shopped for the parts and got the best deal, the labor is a different story, I will just leave it at that. Here are my first thoughts, the hitch appears to be well made and well fastened. The truss, simply put is a beast, HD is an understatement, I can only imagine what this thing weighs when paired with a load distribution receiver and bars. The Tallon tie downs fit well and look pretty strong. I was surprised to see how sloppy the inserts fit, there must be 1/8 of an inch slop. I would have preferred bigger, thicker and snugger fitting outside ends. The outside ends are secured with a light duty wire dowel part, I may opt for bolts and nuts in the future. The camper will be mounted in couple weeks, hopefully my wife and I will be happy with our substantial investment. I will be writing an extensive review on the camper and will touch on the truck and all it's add on's at the conclusion of my first outing. Hopefully my insights along with others will help all the first time buyers out there.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DA TOAD
post Sep 24 2016, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,297
Favorite Truck Camper(s): North Star
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-250 CrewCab, 8'bed, 6.2 ltr, w/camper package
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: I don't have either yet but will withing the next month. Pretty much set on the truck but still looking at campers but tending towards North Stars.

QUOTE(Freespool @ Sep 18 2016, 08:52 PM)
Well it's finally done, the new truck is now is equipped with a brand new 20K super hitch, air bags Tallon tie downs,Fastguns, locks and both wire harnesses.  I will be using a 42" truss.  The reason for the post is to talk about cost and weight.  I know I went top of the line and even had it installed but 3715, REALLY, OUCH.  I personally think this is 1 of many reasons why truck campers make up a small percentage of the RV industry.  I shopped for the parts and got the best deal, the labor is a different story, I will just leave it at that.  Here are my first thoughts, the hitch appears to be well made and well fastened.  The truss, simply put is a beast, HD is an understatement, I can only imagine what this thing weighs when paired with a load distribution receiver and bars.  The Tallon tie downs fit well and look pretty strong.  I was surprised to see how sloppy the inserts fit, there must be 1/8 of an inch slop.  I would have preferred bigger, thicker and snugger fitting outside ends.  The outside ends are secured with a light duty wire dowel part, I may opt for bolts and nuts in the future.  The camper will be mounted in couple weeks, hopefully my wife and I will be happy with our substantial investment.  I will be writing an extensive review on the camper and will touch on the truck and all it's add on's at the conclusion of my first outing.  Hopefully my insights along with others will help all the first time buyers out there.

I sold my truck and camper today freespool.

+Quote Post
Freespool
post Sep 24 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #3

Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Congratulations, I hope you did alright on the package. Stories like yours and a few other reasons have convinced me live life now. I figure I am good for 25 more years and I plan on living them to the fullest. Good luck with your family issue's.
+Quote Post
Eulogite
post Nov 27 2016, 07:35 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,281
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Eagle Cap
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy 3500 DWR 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Na
Truck and Camper Setup: Na

I plan to buy EC 960 next year and thought to go the same route you did with torklift stuff. Do you know how much the superhitch and supertruss weigh? I'll be interested in your reports
+Quote Post
towpro
post Nov 27 2016, 09:02 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,281
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 15 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 Arctic Fox 990

as for the mounts and slop, when camper is on the fast guns are pulling the mounts up with 200 lbs of pressure, they don't move than.

Also the pins with spring clips work well. only recommendation I have heard is put the spring around the top of the tube.
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Dec 11 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #6

Sorry Eulogite, I have been busy lately and have not been active on the board. I believe the shipping container listed about 80lbs for the 42" truss. The weight of the 20K reciever was not listed. Something to consider thou, my 1 ton came with a factory hitch which was removed in favor of the custom Tork Lift hitch. I would bet there is less than 30lbs difference in the weight. I previously complained about the cost of installation but to be fair this is a big job for a home owner without air tools, plus it's really dirty. Pay to have it done unless your very handy in the garage and have air tools available. My 55 year old body said PASS, so I did. All the stuff from Tork Lift is heavy duty and well built, once you get it paid for you will be happy you went with the good stuff. Assuming you will be buying tie down make sure you buy the locks, 4 fast guns can add up too nearly 600 bucks and can be stolen while your away in less than a minute if there unlocked. I also remove the outer piece of the outrigger and store them in the truck. Bottom line, lock everything or face the consequences. Good luck with your rig.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:03 PM