harleyajk
post Jan 24 2013, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,433
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Chalet, Host, Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2012 F 450 Dually 4x4 Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: Do not own a truck camper yet, just doing our research first. We want a Truck camper with 3 slides and are looking at the following manufacturers: Chalet (TS 116), Host (Everest) and Lance (1172)

We currently own a 2012 F450 4x4 Dually and want to purchase a truck camper. The models we have seen online that we like and think would work for us are the Chalet TS 116, Host Everest and maybe the Lance 1172.

We definitely want all the extra options available like generator, satellite, 3 slides, etc.

We live in Florida and there are no dealers in our state and would like to get some feedback from actual owners of these bigger truck campers before we purchase one.

We are especially concerned about the weight of these campers on our current vehicle.

Please anyone give us your feedback on one of these models or others that may be similar and any pros and cons when haulling on a similar type truck that we have.

We will be living in the truck camper we purchase for a couple of months at a time when we travel at Northwest and into Alaska.

Thanks for any honest input.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kerry4951
post Jan 24 2013, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,121
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually Crew cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/ Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually w/ Arctic Fox 1140 DB Torklift tie downs w/ Fastguns Supersprings, Air bags, Helwig sway bar, Bilstein shocks, Torklift stable loads, Front timbrens

With your truck you should be able to handle any of those brands. You have the perfect truck.
Eagle Cap also makes a double and triple slide TC. The ones that you mentioned are all fine. Do your research and pick the ond that fits your needs the best.
Your probem in having a local dealer is the same problem for alot of east coast residents. Most TC dealers are in the west. Except for Lance, who has the most dealers spread out with some on the east side.
If it was me, I would do my research and buy from on Oregon dealer. Much better prices and no sales tax and minimal freight. That alone will save me $4-5K next time. Plus their prices are much lower since they have alot of competition and sell more. Im figuring the savings will be atleast $8-10K dollars. How do I know this.? I bought from a dealer in Pa. and I know how much more I had to spend than if I would of made the trip out west. I will do this next time. Ill make a trip out of it and on the way pick up the TC. Spend a night or two near the dealer in a local CG to make sure everything is working and then head on my way. Sounds crazy but its the best way to do it as far as Im concerned. The savings are just too considerable to pass up.
+Quote Post
Oscar
post Jan 24 2013, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,383
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance, I think.
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy 3500HD CC LB DRW DmaxAllison
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift With Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy 3500 Dmax CC DRW. Torklift tie downs. 2012 Lance 1191

Also no sales tax in Delaware and New Hampshire. A bit less of a road trip than Oregon.
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Jan 24 2013, 07:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

I have an Everest and it has been a good camper, just a few minor issues that were quickly fixed.
I was lucky enough to have seen my camper built. One thing about Host, is that you can customize your camper, in fact, I haven't seen any two Everests that were exactly the same.
These campers are heavy. Your 450 actually has a little less payload than my F-350, but the 450 has a larger and lower geared rear diff, and has a shorter turning radius.
If I were you and decided on a Everest, I would have them build it and then drive out to pick it up.
That way, you could drive around Oregon for few days, discover any issues and have changes made on the spot.
Price on the Everest can vary quite a bit.
This is what my sticker says, base price=$39,100, options=$16,539,
MSRP=$55,539, Factory discount=$11,794, price paid=43,887.
You could easily add another $5-7,000 in options if you wanted everthing Host offers, plus any thing that you want that isn't offered.

Options I didn't get were the $1600 fancy cherry cabinets,to much money for cosmetics.
Sat dish with GPS, $1750, 140watt solar panel/controller $2040,leather sofas(2),$3330. Other than those, I have most of the other options Host offers.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
I have pictures of the camper being built and interior pictures if you woulod like to see them.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
Oscar
post Jan 24 2013, 09:56 PM
Post #5

Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy 3500 Dmax CC DRW. Torklift tie downs. 2012 Lance 1191

Nice rig! What does that weigh in at?
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Jan 25 2013, 09:18 AM
Post #6

Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

4350-5000lbs, mainly depends upon how much stuff I have in the camper and how full the 70 gallon fresh water tank is.
I weigh the rig all the time and the weight varies a lot.

--------------------
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
Oscar
post Jan 26 2013, 01:35 AM
Post #7

Yes, at 8 ppg water is the easiest ballast factor to control.
+Quote Post
Night_Sailor
post Mar 1 2013, 11:02 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,143
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Barth
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: k3500 Siverado
Type of Tiedowns used: jjj
Truck and Camper Setup: kkk

QUOTE(harleyajk @ Jan 24 2013, 08:51 AM)
We currently own a 2012 F450 4x4 Dually and want to purchase a truck camper.  The models we have seen online that we like and think would work for us are the Chalet TS 116, Host Everest and maybe the Lance 1172.

<snip>
We are especially concerned about the weight of these campers on our current vehicle.

If all you have is a horse, all you can carry is a bedroll. You have an F450! You can carry more than most.

I saw one of these Chalet Triple Slides at an RV place on Long Island last year. I can't speak about the other campers. I didn't know anyone else made triples in Truck Campers.

All I can say is it absolutely blew my mind how nice they are. I never thought I would have considered buying one until I saw one.

It is also physically very big, and very expensive, around $55,000 +/-. The slide mechanism is impressive, and it opens up like Dr Who's telephone booth into what seems like house and has a huge basement for storage. The construction is new technology and very strong. Once again--it is very, very, spacious inside. I did not like the sink but that is being nit picky. You have to open up the slides to enter, which is a problem if you just want to overnight somewhere--it makes it real obvious it is in use. Not the best stealth camper, but this is "the best" truck camper anywhere for comfort.

I also liked the double slide version which had a cool rotating TV that swung toward the bed or living area. The bathroom is roomy, and reminded me of a real bathroom. Seriously, this would be like living in a house. You could full time in this thing.
Weight is around 3800 lbs and it does have a large cross-section for wind resistance.

To answer your question, I felt my K3500 Silverado dually would carry it, it can carry 5040lbs. It would be pushing the limit if I had another 1200 lbs and my fuel economy would suffer.

Your F450 could easily carry it.
Go for it, I don't think you will regret it. It is a nice camper, particularly for a couple looking for comfort, with space for a few more people if needed.

As for me, I decided to restore an older aluminum framed Barth Camper. I do not need the space of a Chalet RV and want something more stealthy for boondocking that would be warmer. I like metal for fire protection because I plan to install a wood stove. Rebuilding it from scratch means it will be exactly they way I want and a heck of a lot cheaper.

--------------------
NIGHT SAILOR
2001 K3500 D/A Silverado
1967 BARTH Camper
1983 BMW R100RT
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Mar 3 2013, 09:42 AM
Post #9

A 2011+F-450 actually has a smaller payload than a 2011+F-350.
In 2011, Ford changed the F-450, it no longer comes with 19.5" wheels, which gave the 2010 and older F-450's larger payload capacities.
The 2011+ F-450 still has the lower gear 4:30 rear diff and tighter turning radius, plus larger brakes, but suffers in the payload area because of the increased weight.

--------------------
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
kendawson
post Dec 9 2013, 06:43 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,111
Favorite Truck Camper(s): future owner
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: future owner
Type of Tiedowns used: future owner
Truck and Camper Setup: researching brands and capabilities

You have had your camper for almost a year now. Do you see any cracks forming in the driver side wall at the top of the dinette slide out?
+Quote Post
805gregg
post Jan 19 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,503
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Quad cab, srw, 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge 3500 Quad cab, SRW, 4x4, air bags, '95 Lance 480

Remember the bigger the camper the more crap you will carry and the less places you can go, TC's are for easy light travel, not carry the house and room addition around.
+Quote Post
Oregonizm
post Feb 26 2014, 11:41 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,113
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F450
Type of Tiedowns used: Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: F450, Host Everest triple slide, Torklift tiedowns, Torklift class V Superhitch w/ Supertruss

We have a 2012 Host Everest that we haul around with our '08 F450. The camper usually weighs in around 5000 lbs and we're usually towing a boat or an enclosed trailer full of snowmobiles. We did have an extra leaf added to the rear springs on the truck and we mounted it with 12 ply Michelin truck tires, both of which increase our payload limits. We're at the limits, or a bit over, on both payload and towing capacity but the truck handles well, stops well and feels safe and capable. Like Skyhammer, we got to participate in the building of our camper and tricked it our pretty good. The one thing that I'd do different is ditch the propane generator and just go with a Honda carry out instead. The propane is too noisy and it doesn't start in cold weather when we're snow camping. I will probably remodel the generator compartment to carry my Honda EU200 and a gas container and ditch the Onan propane unit sometime in the near future. If I had it to do over, I would probably not put the satellite dish on it either. It seems we are always parked in the trees and a self-aiming carry out would make much more sense. We went with recessed LED lighting which is awesome and the solar panel battery charging system is worth it's weight in gold. The manufacturer is only 30 miles up the road form our house but we've never had any reason to take it in to them other than the initial punch list after delivery. We love our Host, we take good care of it and it has taken good car of us.
+Quote Post
Jamesneo
post Mar 3 2014, 03:25 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,445
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Jayco
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-150 Dually 4x4 Ford Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: F-150: Air Bags, Happijac Tiedowns, Titan Class V Hitch with Lance 1191 fully loaded

We currently own a 2012 F450 4x4 Dually and want to purchase a truck camper.  The models we have seen online that we like and think would work for us are the Chalet TS 116, Host Everest and maybe the Lance 1172.

We definitely want all the extra options available like generator, satellite, 3 slides, etc.

We live in Florida and there are no dealers in our state and would like to get some feedback from actual owners of these bigger truck campers before we purchase one.

Please anyone give us your feedback on one of these models or others that may be similar and any pros and cons when haulling on a similar type truck that we have.

We will be living in the truck camper we purchase for a couple of months at a time when we travel at Northwest and into Alaska.

In 2011, Ford changed the F-450, it no longer comes with 19.5" wheels, which gave the 2010 and older F-450's larger payload capacities.
so 2011 F-450 actually has a smaller payload than the 2010 F-350.
The 2011+ F-450 still has the lower gear 4:30 rear diff and tighter turning radius, plus larger brakes, but suffers in the payload area because of the increased weight.

--------------------
+Quote Post
henrys
post Mar 3 2014, 10:19 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,447
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2004 chevy 3500
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2004 Chevy 3500 duly, Firestone airbags, 2012 Arctic Fox 1140

We have a 2012 Arctic Fox model 1140. We put it on our 2004 Chevy duly 3500, and it did a wonderful job. We lived in ours for two months as we travelled cross country and back (NY State to AZ). It's a wonderful unit, and these are made in Oregon. The dealer we purchased it from is in New Hampshire, and all went well. No problems, just lots of fun. Truck campers are a great way to go traveling and see the US. Weekend fishing trips, camping in the Adirondack Mtns. - you name it, we've loved the unit.

We are currently selling it because of health problems.

+Quote Post
gaffer
post Mar 21 2014, 10:31 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,481
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Chalet
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F550 4x4 Crew cab
Type of Tiedowns used: custom
Truck and Camper Setup: Set up to go places we should not!

Just signed on. We too live in Fl. And are selling a 2011 TS116. Great unit! Building something bigger with a toy hauler. Have you found what you were looking for?

+Quote Post
Highway Runner
post May 16 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 7,575
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 King Ranch 4x4 DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: Host Rainier DS - F350 4x4 DRW - timbren-m-41.html">Timbrens, Rancho 9Ks, Extended Hitch and 4 rubber band guns!

Good luck. I have a Host Rainier 9.5 DS on my F350 4x4 DRW. All the units you have mentioned are quite acceptable. My experience says that the Host will last; good unit. I would not accept anything less than 2 slide outs. The only single slide out I would consider is the Bigfoot. I expect you will satisfied with any of the 3.
Enjoy
+Quote Post
jeremy817086
post Jun 28 2014, 03:53 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,597
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: truck camper
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: F-350: Air Bags, Happijac Tiedowns, Titan Class V Hitch with Lance 1191 fully loaded

I have a 2008 Palomino truck camper. It is a pop up pickup camper the camper worked great for us.
It worked fine on my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500.
I put air bags on the truck for suspension help.
+Quote Post
Focus022
post Jul 14 2014, 12:26 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 7,579
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Camplite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 97 Dodge ext cab 4x4 2500 cummins.
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge 2500 4x4 with cummins W/2014 camplite TC 8.6

We bought a Camp Lite 8.6 truck camper. It's dry wt is 1995. It's mostly aluminum . I have it on a 1997 dodge 2500 cummins 12V. The dodge had camper and towing packages. We are happy with this unit. One comparable would be much heavier. [attachmentid=591]
+Quote Post
SnoKing
post Dec 9 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 9,303
Favorite Truck Camper(s): host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 Dually Super Cab
Truck and Camper Setup: F-350, with Host Mammoth. Engine :modified 6.0 liter diesel to increase torque to 790 ft lbs., 572 HP at the brake, Suspension mods including 19.5" Load Range G tires, Firestone Airbags w/Viaire 100% duty cycle comprssor, Upper & Lower stable loads, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Toque Lift Super Hitch & 42" Extension.

We currently own a 2012 F450 4x4 Dually and want to purchase a truck camper. The models we have seen online that we like and think would work for us are the Chalet TS 116, Host Everest and maybe the Lance 1172.

+Quote Post
SnoKing
post Dec 9 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 9,303
Favorite Truck Camper(s): host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 Dually Super Cab
Truck and Camper Setup: F-350, with Host Mammoth. Engine :modified 6.0 liter diesel to increase torque to 790 ft lbs., 572 HP at the brake, Suspension mods including 19.5" Load Range G tires, Firestone Airbags w/Viaire 100% duty cycle comprssor, Upper & Lower stable loads, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Toque Lift Super Hitch & 42" Extension.

Make certain that you check your F450's payload capacity against the Host's "calculated weight" Our Host had a rated capacity of 3360 lbs but after we bought it, we took it to a public scale, removed it from the truck and weighed it. It came in at 5820 lbs, dry, with 128 lbs of provisions. We did know that these manufacturers are playing games with camper weights but we didn't expect this. We met a Host factory rep (initials RP) at an RV show and now looking back on it, he gave us some baloney answer that was deceptive.

Here's the issue: you would think that an F450 would shoulder the gross weight of the camper according to Ford, but if you look at the rated payload capacity, you will find that the crew cab 450 is actually less than the F350 Super Cab and when you calculate your GVW, (be realistic too) you will find you are overweight.

The point is, you can modify your suspension and I suggest you do to included stouter shocks, airbags and Torque Lift Stable Loads (both upper and lower.). The Host Everest is roughly the same weight so you do need to research this issue.

Even with our modified suspension, our truck sags by 1-1/2" in the back. We finally took the truck to an RV suspension/engine specialist in Seattle, and with the use of a laser, they found out that the camper actually sags off the back end. When we approached RP of Host with the issue, he said "not possible". The shop referred to above properly loaded and tied down (Fastguns), the very back of the camper in relation to the bed of the truck was out of level by 1-1/2".

While this may not damage anything, it looks terrible riding down the road. We are having a special shim made that will ship up the entire camper with the back of the shim being 1-1/2" higher than the front.

The factory is aware of this problem but remains mute. They are a small manufacturer and seem to take the position that their users are not knowledgeable. I've owned campers for almost 50 years and respectfully consider myself well informed.

I would really think twice about your purchase. Just know that the manufacturer is not in the same class as Northland (Arctic Fox) or Lance, or Eagle Cap...all of which are responsive. As for a dealer, there is one in Mesa, AZ (Tom's Camper Land) that will work with a remote buyer and they have the best pricing out there. The owner, Brad Leach, still call us to track our situation. They even gave us well more for our 2009 Arctic Fox 1150 than we had expected.

I apologize for the length of this post, but given your position, I would go very cautiously with Host. Great unit, a lot of room, well built (mostly) but....
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:37 AM