mtbdemon
post Nov 21 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,379
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F-250 Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Not sure
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 (first year) Arctic Fox 990 on a 1990 Ford F-250 banks turbo charged diesel with air bags

Hello to all,
Not at all new to winter camping in my camper as I use it a great deal to ski out of. One thing that that I have thought about is trying to warm the camper while driving to my winter destination.
Because the camper has cold soaked for a good long time, it takes a fair amount of time/power/propane to get the camper up to temperature. Once there, its fairly easy on both DC power and propane.
So the question, is there a way to pre-warm the camper while driving down the road? I have never tried running the furnace while driving and don't really see that as an alternative since that's not how its designed.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

2007 Dodge 3500
2014 Eagle cap 1150
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Nov 21 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Get yourself a truck window boot and open your sliding truck window and the camper window and turn on your vent fan in the camper. That will suck heat out of your truck cab onto the camper as you drive to your destination...

Exactly what I used to do with my Lance when we went on snowmobile trips up north.

It won't really heat the camper hot inside but it takes the chill off pretty well.
+Quote Post
mtbdemon
post Nov 22 2017, 10:46 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,379
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F-250 Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Not sure
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 (first year) Arctic Fox 990 on a 1990 Ford F-250 banks turbo charged diesel with air bags

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Nov 21 2017, 08:58 PM)
Get yourself a truck window boot and open your sliding truck window and the camper window and turn on your vent fan in the camper.  That will suck heat out of your truck cab onto the camper as you drive to your destination...

Exactly what I used to do with my Lance when we went on snowmobile trips up north.

It won't really heat the camper hot inside but it takes the chill off pretty well.

Thanks! I have seen those boots before. Are they very expensive? Did you notice if they added much noise to the cab? Thanks!

Ken
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Nov 23 2017, 05:00 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(mtbdemon @ Nov 22 2017, 11:46 AM)
Thanks! I have seen those boots before. Are they very expensive? Did you notice if they added much noise to the cab? Thanks!

Ken

Ken,

I looked into those and could not find one that was a good fit for our combination and several folks who used them complained they scratched the truck finish. Not saying not to use them, but I got the impression from my research they did not work equally well for everyone.

Steve
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Nov 23 2017, 06:41 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

North Star offers one as an accessory. I had one sold by Lance when I had my Lance. The problem is, the articulation between the TC and the truck cab does cause some abrasion of the paint on the cab and you cannot get around that.

Modern automotive finishes are inherently soft and that don't help either.

I've taken to using an inner tube as a boot, but a smaller diameter one that contacts only the glass on my sliding window and not the paint. It limits access but I'm not about to crawl through the RC window to access the camper anyway. Not that tiny...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:40 AM