Gundy2000
post May 5 2009, 09:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,133
Favorite Truck Camper(s): unsure
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 1500
Type of Tiedowns used: searching still
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge 1500, Unnamed pop up truck camper.

I'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone can help me figure out a problem. I have a new 2008 Dodge 1500 and I'm looking to find away to attach my truck camper to it. My camper is a few years old and is the pop-up style. It has no name as the guy I bought it from said he got it from a guy who worked in a camper factory and made it himself. Its a nice camper. However, with my old dodge I was able to put in the pocket style tie downs but it scratched the truck pretty bad. My new truck doesn't have the lip for the tie downs to clamp to. I can't really afford $600 worth of new frame mount tie downs nor do I want to drill holes into my new truck.
Now my question is, can I use Bull Ring pocket tie downs that say they are rated for 1000# each for tie downs? Has anyone done this before? I can get 4 for $60 which is considerably cheaper then the other options.
And no my camper does not have a tag stating its weight. I figure its on the lighter end as it has no oven or refrigerator and its a pop up. I would have it weighed but have no way of transporting it. mad.gif
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gundy2000
post May 6 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,133
Favorite Truck Camper(s): unsure
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 1500
Type of Tiedowns used: searching still
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge 1500, Unnamed pop up truck camper.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
+Quote Post
Spanky
post May 7 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

I don't think I would try this. Just my thoughts. I think if I were gonna use the camper, I would spring for the frame type tiedowns. You can probably pick up a used system on e bay or craigslist for a little of nothing.
Gary

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
larrynAndrea
post May 12 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,879
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Travel Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy, Silverado K3500ext
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy, Silverado K3500ext, Travel Lite, Torklift

There are more reasons for proper tie downs other than just keeping the TC on your truck. $500-$600 dollars for say torklift style frame mounts (new ones) is an ok price. TLCentral there are others and less expensive but I can only speak for what we have.

Happy Camping

Larry
+Quote Post
fisher
post May 18 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,138
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Sun valley
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350
Type of Tiedowns used: ???
Truck and Camper Setup: not sure yet

I'm questioning the tie down situation also. Can someone please explain to me why you use the chain/turnbuckle to secure the camper to the frame? Why could you not use the nylon straps that are weight rated with a ratchet to tie it down? Am I missing something?
+Quote Post
John Sardaro
post Jun 9 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,164
Favorite Truck Camper(s): artic fox or lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350 4x4 SRW Extended cab
Type of Tiedowns used: ? tiedowns are bolted to truck frame
Truck and Camper Setup: F350, air springs, frame mounted tie downs, Lance mod. 1150

Jason,
I have seen home made tie downs that are made from angle iron. The angle iron is long enough to extend past the sides of the truck body, on both sides, after being bolted to the truck frame. Holes in the ends to accomodate hooks or eye bolts. The angle iron is of substantial material, at least 1/4 inch thick, with 1-1/2 or 2 inch sides. This should take care of the front mount. The rear mount can be made of square tube and fastened into the square tube of the trailer hitch. These materials can be bought at steel suppliers or welding shops. Probably for a lot less than store bought tie down systems.

Not fond of using the nylon ratchet straps. They tend to stretch when stressed due to a sudden movement. Chain and turnbuckles (I use chain and chain binders) may be over kill, but much safer. I almost lost the camper off my truck one time. It's a scary feeling, I'm sure will not happen again, due to heavier than needed tie downs.

If you have not figured it out already, hope this helps.
John
+Quote Post
HallmarkBob
post Sep 1 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,313
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 1500 MegaCab
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: new owner of an older camper w/ lots of questions

I was looking at the stake mount tie downs, and liked the price. However I hear they scratched your truck up. What area of the truck did they scratch. I am asking because my camper does not extend much beyond the bed rails of the truck, and the previous owner had substantial damage when he unloaded the camper during the sale. He had a tie down system similar to a Happijack.
+Quote Post
NawlBrat73
post Nov 11 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #8

Unregistered

when I built a trailer I used closed chain links welded to the chassis as tie down points, Never pulled one out yet
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:16 AM