IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> What's better for towing Ecoboost or V8?

CampingFun78
post Jan 16 2017, 05:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,349
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Everest
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-250 2014
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: 2014 Ford F-250

Hi everyone, I am currently in a process of upgrading my 2006 f150 with a newer 08-14 F150. These trucks are available with regular V8 and new-to-me ecoboost. I like the last one because of the mileage, because good old V8 is pretty thirsty even if you're not towing. I realize that the downside of the ecoboost may be lower towing capacity. Does any one tow with ecoboost, would be glad to hear a real life feedback. Also do you have any experience with perofrmance tuners for towing https://www.carid.com/2015-ford-f-150-perfo...-216923605.html . According to description it can give about +30-40TQ from an ecoboost, which makes it nearly equal to 5.0

Thanks,
Tom

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Jan 30 2017, 08:08 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Gas isn't that much anymore and I'm of the 'there is no replacement for displacement' school but I know of a couple guys who tow medium sized TT with an eco-boost.

I would not recommend one for a TC however
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Feb 23 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

The eco-boost is a beast and plenty of folks are towing with them, including a number of my friends. It is an impressive package. At the same time, I would encourage you to consider the weight of what you are dragging down the road and the wind resistance, which is often a greater consideration at highway speeds.

The eco-boost really shines towing some of the ultra-light trailers but I have never been a big fan of trying to tow large towable with light weight trucks. It is just a more relaxed ride with more weight under your butt when things get heavy in the rear view mirror. smile.gif

Steve
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Feb 24 2017, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

Every type of vehicle has its proponents. Many years ago an old RVer related to me his experience towing. He said, "Son, there ain't no substitute for cubic inches when it comes to towing a heavy load." Over the years I've come to the conclusion that he was right. I've owned gasoline powered vehicles from a 1963 GMC half ton with a 'Scotsman Manifold' V-6 (Dunno the CI, probably 305?) to a '85 Ford F250 with a 460 auto with 4.1 gear ratio. The 460 obviously was the best heavy load puller (Also the poorest fuel efficiency). I've also owned an '85 F250 with 6.9L IDI diesel, non-aspirated engine, auto trans, that I eventually added a Banks Power Pak for more power and better mileage, to my current '99 F250 supercab, long bed with 7.3L turbo diesel. My current vehicle is definitely the better puller & does it more efficiently fuelwise.

Have no experience with the Eco-boost but as the old man told me in the early 1960s, IMO there's no substitute for cubic inches when towing a heavy load... YMMV but I doubt it.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 24 2017, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

My opinion is if you use a wienie motor to pull a heavy load or large truck camper, it's not going to last.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Feb 24 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #6

Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

I just got a 6.2 F350 SRW to run against my 7.3 dually towing the same fiver and using the same hitch set-up to see which I like better (both long beds). Lots of folks say the 6.2 will pull as well as a 7.3, and I want to find out for myself. Driving the 6.2 is, for me, heads and tails more pleasurable than the 7.3 and the six speed tranny is a thing of beauty.

Just my opinion,

Steve
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Feb 25 2017, 12:04 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

QUOTE(RV_Tech @ Feb 24 2017, 07:50 PM)
I just got a 6.2 F350 SRW to run against my 7.3 dually towing the same fiver and using the same hitch set-up to see which I like better (both long beds). Lots of folks say the 6.2 will pull as well as a 7.3, and I want to find out for myself. Driving the 6.2 is, for me, heads and tails more pleasurable than the 7.3 and the six speed tranny is a thing of beauty.

Just my opinion,

Steve

I've absolutely NO experience with the later model diesel engines so I can't speak authoritatively of their differences. &, the 6 speed transmissions are a total mystery to me. Stands to reason tho that an engine with a full cubic inch less displacement 'gives up' something along the line, whether it be longevity, or other capacity. The 6.2 is what Ford has selected as their basic, diesel engine for their light trucks. I have no doubt it has performed well in their tests but they thought the same about the 6.4 & 6.7 a few years ago. I'd expect that differential gearing & transmission makes a lot of difference & may well make a difference in user satisfaction. When I added the Banks Power Pak to my '85 6.9L IDI, non-aspirated engine in 1992, the only way I could tell it was effective was slightly better fuel economy (maybe a mile per gallon, if that much), & it didn't produce as much exhaust smoke as previously in higher elevations. Too, the pyrometer showed lesser exhaust temperature on heavy pulls.

I also owned a 1982 Ford, short bed standard cab, F150 4X4, with a 300CID 6cyl, 5-spd manual transmission that I towed an 18' travel trailer (probably 3500-4K# wt max'xd out). It did an admirable job for several years but I quickly learned that if I had to stop on a steep grade (facing uphill) I needed to shift to 4wd-Lo, or use the 'granny' 1st tranny gear' to get started again. Cubic inches again made all the difference...
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Feb 25 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Nobody @ Feb 25 2017, 01:04 PM)
I've absolutely NO experience with the later model diesel engines so I can't speak authoritatively of their differences. &, the 6 speed transmissions are a total mystery to me. Stands to reason tho that an engine with a full cubic inch less displacement 'gives up' something along the line, whether it be longevity, or other capacity. The 6.2 is what Ford has selected as their basic, diesel engine for their light trucks. I have no doubt it has performed well in their tests but they thought the same about the 6.4 & 6.7 a few years ago. I'd expect that differential gearing & transmission makes a lot of difference & may well make a difference in user satisfaction. When I added the Banks Power Pak to my '85 6.9L IDI, non-aspirated engine in 1992, the only way I could tell it was effective was slightly better fuel economy (maybe a mile per gallon, if that much), & it didn't produce as much exhaust smoke as previously in higher elevations. Too, the pyrometer showed lesser exhaust temperature on heavy pulls.

I also owned a 1982 Ford, short bed standard cab, F150 4X4, with a 300CID 6cyl, 5-spd manual transmission that I towed an 18' travel trailer (probably 3500-4K# wt max'xd out). It did an admirable job for several years but I quickly learned that if I had to stop on a steep grade (facing uphill) I needed to shift to 4wd-Lo, or use the 'granny' 1st tranny gear' to get started again. Cubic inches again made all the difference...

Power wise the Eco-Boosts really are different animals and my 6.2 is a gasser not diesel. My 7.3 diesel only has 75,000 miles on it, but the dually configuration and aircraft carrier turning ratio is a pain as a daily driver.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 25 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #9

There is a nice ongoing thread on the Forest River Forum about how long the eco-boost lasts towing a TT. How about 8 rebuilds at around 100K miles.

Me, I like the large turning radius and the looking down at everyone from up there as well...(I own a 4x4 4 door LB 7.3 as well).
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Feb 25 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Feb 25 2017, 09:32 PM)
There is a nice ongoing thread on the Forest River Forum about how long the eco-boost lasts towing a TT.  How about 8 rebuilds at around 100K miles.

Me, I like the large turning radius and the looking down at everyone from up there as well...(I own a 4x4 4 door LB 7.3 as well).

You like the long turning radius? Why? That's my least favorite thing. smile.gif
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 25 2017, 09:31 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(RV_Tech @ Feb 25 2017, 09:09 PM)
You like the long turning radius?  Why? That's my least favorite thing. smile.gif

Don't bother me at all, not even off road in a tight spot. That is what D and R are for.

My least favorite thing is not having enough motor to do the job.

But then I'm used to driving a long nose Western Star double bunk with a 48 foot trailer behind it. Compared to that, my pick up turns on a dime.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:35 PM