IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Hitches and Hitch Extensions, What do you use?

aqualung
post Oct 9 2013, 01:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

I saw this discussion area sitting empty for awhile now so I thought I'd add a new topic to kick-start the discussions. So here goes:

Do you tow a trailer behind your TC rig? If so, what do you tow and what hitch and hitch extension do you use? Why did you choose that setup?

Now that I've asked the questions, I'll answer them. I hope you'll provide some info on your setup, inquiring minds would like to know!

Yes, I tow an enclosed cargo trailer behind my rig inwhich I carry the family's toys... ATVs.

My TC overhangs the rear bumper by about 33 inches once you include the rear deck on the TC so I went with a 36 inch extension. My trailer has a tongue weight of around 400lbs when its loaded so I needed a fairly substantial extension to carry the weight. As you may know, when you add an extension, the rated tongue weight of your hitch drops. To know by how much, you'll need to consult your hitch and extension manufacturer.

I chose the Torklift SuperHitch and SuperTruss. Together they give you excellent tongue weight at an extension of 36" plus they have the added benefit of providing a mounting location for the rear tie downs. The tie down mounts bolt directly into the SuperHitch. Then when you load your TC, you pop the tie down into the mount and put the pin through it... easy. In addition, you can use load levellers with this setup. That helps to distribute the tongue weight amongst all your axles so you don't exceed any GAWR... not to mention the truck's GVWR. You can also use anti-sway setups with this too, if its a problem.

One downside of my setup is its weight. The hitch and truss are heavy so consider this in your truck's GVWR calculations if you want to go this way.

I got the SuperHitch that bolts onto my OEM hitch so the final hitch setup is two pieces, I wouldn't do it this way again. I'd get the complete SuperHitch and remove and sell my OEM hitch. I found that aligning the SuperHitch to my OEM hitch a real bear to do. Had I bought the single unit, no alignemnt would be necessary since its all one piece. And I believe its the same price either way. Oh well, live and learn.

So that's it for me. Anyone else want to tell us about your setup? I know that there are some real craftsmen out there who build there own stuff. It would be interesting to hear about it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rbmack5
post May 15 2014, 02:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,573
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ?
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 2500 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift, homemade
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge 2500 , elkhorn11ft, rancho, torklift

Hi , I just got into this .I have a tc and am wanting to tow a enclosed trailer.my camper plugs into my truck .my question is do you have a additional truck plug for the trailer or is there some sort of splitter?
+Quote Post
Spanky
post May 15 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

I wired a flat 4 plug into my 7 way truck plug to tow my Jeep and boat.

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
rbmack5
post May 16 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,573
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ?
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 2500 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift, homemade
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge 2500 , elkhorn11ft, rancho, torklift

My new trailer is going to be another 7 pin.
+Quote Post
aqualung
post May 18 2014, 11:59 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

I made up my own splitter and use it with my hitch extension. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then Torklift makes a splitter that does the same job. Have a look at this link:

http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products...-wire-harnesses

If you decide to make your own then just match up the colors on each plug. You will need to make sure you use the heavy gauge wires for ground (white), battery (red) and brakes (blue). A lighter gauge wire can be used for the running and turning lights. Any RV store should carry the plugs you'll need as well as trailer wire which is bundled together with the correct gauges.

You can order what you need from etrailer (see link below). They also sell the Torklift splitter (same page).

http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?p=K...r%20Wiring&rk=2

The color codes and suggested wire gauge can be found on this etrailer page:
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
JPR Ram
post Apr 13 2015, 03:56 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,095
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2000 Dodge Ram 2500, L/B, Q/C, 4x4
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge Ram 2500 CTD with 3500 springs, Ride-Rite Airbags, Upper Torklift Stableloads, Torklift frame mounts and Super Hitch w/ 48" Super Truss 2005 Lance 1121 with a slide out, two awnings, Onan genny, solar panel, and well........ lots of other stuff.......

Howdy. I'm new here, but I thought I'd add to this post.

I'm driving a Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 4x4, Q/C, L/B. I installed a Torklift Super Hitch (the whole big um), 48" Torklift Super Truss, Torklift frame mount tiedown's, and a weight distribution hitch.

My Lance is 11' 6" long, so it's rear bumper ends right at the end of the Super Truss; there's that much overhang.

I usually tow a 20' flat bed trailer loaded up with either a well built Suzuki Samurai or several quads and dirt bikes. And of course tools, extra parts, air compressor, firewood, spare tires, etc., etc......
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:27 PM