ronflys701
post Feb 8 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,335
Favorite Truck Camper(s): treck??
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1998 dodge 2500 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Pockets only
Truck and Camper Setup: 2500 dodge diesel 1998 2 wheel drive nothing added,,completely stock truck and bare camper furnace, no hot water...3 way fridge..and propane stove,,,, theats it and it is standard transmission and love the fact I can park anywhere in any parking spot u can park a car,,,,no problems??

I have a 2500 1998 Dodge Diesel 12v and my gvw is 8800lbs I bought an older as light as possible camper no hot water or built in shower just furnace,stove and regular sized bed ...not a Queen as most have now and Im almost over the weight for my truck ...my question is 99% of every truck camper has put the weight over the limit of the gvw when loaded....and I have talked to many eye to eye in the campgrounds so why is everyone crying about gvw you are almost all over the limit when fully loaded unless you buy a 550 ford or equivalent. All the swaybars lifts airbags may help control the load but nothing can change the max weight for the truck...Naturally Im talking about hard sided and not popups??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sailor Dave
post Feb 8 2014, 04:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,005
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350, Extended cab, 8 foot bed,DRW, 4X4, 6.2L, camper package
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Arctic Fox 1150, wet bath, solar

I have a 2012 F350 dually, 6.2 liter gas, extended cab, 4X4. Camper is an AF1150.

Fully loaded I'm at 12,900 and my GVWR is 13,300. So don't include me in "everyone".
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Feb 8 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

Like Sailor Dave, when fully loaded with a full complement of passengers, full fuel tank and full water tanks I'm 200lbs under my GVWR. So don't include me in "everyone" either.
+Quote Post
dubob
post Feb 9 2014, 06:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,605
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2011 Lance 992
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, Ext Cab, 6.0L
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac w/ Qwik-Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: TC pulled behind the truck on a gooseneck trailer

I'm over and don't care so I'm good with being included. cool.gif

--------------------
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 75 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." - Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." = Dr. Seuss

user posted image
+Quote Post
Sailor Dave
post Feb 10 2014, 06:27 AM
Post #5

Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350, Extended cab, 8 foot bed,DRW, 4X4, 6.2L, camper package

LOL!!!
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Feb 10 2014, 10:24 AM
Post #6

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

I am over too but I just drive it like its over and so far no problems. I drive a big rig so I can handle being a little over wink.gif

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
hedge
post Feb 10 2014, 11:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,191
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350
Type of Tiedowns used: TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: '12 F350, '13 Adventurer 89RB

I'm under too but not by much. I'll probably be a bit over when towing though.
+Quote Post
ronflys701
post Feb 13 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #8

Truck and Camper Setup: 2500 dodge diesel 1998 2 wheel drive nothing added,,completely stock truck and bare camper furnace, no hot water...3 way fridge..and propane stove,,,, theats it and it is standard transmission and love the fact I can park anywhere in any parking spot u can park a car,,,,no problems??

QUOTE(Sailor Dave @ Feb 8 2014, 04:32 PM)
I have a 2012 F350 dually, 6.2 liter gas, extended cab, 4X4. Camper is an AF1150.

Fully loaded I'm at 12,900 and my GVWR is 13,300. So don't include me in "everyone".

Ok I won t include u with 400lbs to spare hope ur truck doesn t get mud on it???
+Quote Post
ronflys701
post Feb 13 2014, 11:41 AM
Post #9

Guess I screwed up so if you are within a couple hundred pounds you are ok to drive safely at near fully loaded gvw ....Sorry but if u are that close and have to watch what u load then to me you still have a problem even if u think u are under...just my opinion and everyone has one but I won t include you guys???
+Quote Post
ronflys701
post Feb 13 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(aqualung @ Feb 8 2014, 05:43 PM)
Like Sailor Dave, when fully loaded with a full complement of passengers, full fuel tank and full water tanks I'm 200lbs under my GVWR. So don't include me in "everyone" either.

Touchy or what??
+Quote Post
dubob
post Feb 14 2014, 10:20 AM
Post #11

Ron,

After reading your latest comments on this thread, I took a closer look at the thread details. I see that this is your very first entry on this forum. I also now see that you have an attitude problem. Just exactly what were you trying to gain from your original comments on here? If it was to tick off some really nice folks, it would appear that you were successful. You insinuated that as a group, we TC owners are “almost all over the limit when fully loaded” and are a bunch of crybabies (“why is everyone crying about gvw”).

Now you come back on here and start throwing snide comments at folks that disagreed with your original assumptions. Well, here’s a suggestion for you. Take your charming attitude and heartwarming retorts to some other website where the ‘Golden Rule’ and civility aren’t expected or required. In MHO, you aren’t winning very many friends on this website.

mad.gif

--------------------
Bob Hicks, from Utah
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." = Dr. Seuss

user posted image
+Quote Post
Sailor Dave
post Feb 16 2014, 08:42 AM
Post #12

Sometimes it's best to just ignore narrow minded people.
+Quote Post
ronflys701
post Feb 25 2014, 11:28 AM
Post #13

[/quote]Im not here to make friends just get info so if your intentions here are to make friends I suggest to you go on plenty of fish and find yourself a playmate. I have read all your posts and maybe you should review your comments you have make???
+Quote Post
dubob
post Feb 26 2014, 08:28 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(ronflys701 @ Feb 25 2014, 10:28 AM)
Im not here to make friends
Congratulations on your being successful at achieving your goal.

--------------------
Bob Hicks, from Utah

user posted image
+Quote Post
Jeeper4life
post Nov 30 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,879
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 99 Ford f250 super duty
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift tiedowns with fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 7.3 powerstroke Ford F250 with torklift stable loads, firestone air bags, and rear sway bar off of a 2005 f350. 20000 lb Titan f450 2.5" hitch with a 2500 tongue weight rating. Reese 2 foot extention for 25 foot chaparral.

QUOTE(Jeeper4life @ Nov 30 2014, 04:59 PM)
[attachmentid=631][attachmentid=631]

I'm extremely overweight (my truck and camper that is). Gvwr is 9900 and my f250 with a full load weighed 13,900. If you set up a truck properly you should not have too many problems. I have hauled 4500 miles this summer without any problems. It maybe just luck, but with 218,000 on the ticker it might just be a ticking time bomb.
I just like my truck too much to buy a newer one so I'll probably just keep upgrading my truck until it starts to fall apart. I also tow my boat behind. I really feel that load. I think it puts me about 20k lbs. Dubob, I love the gooseneck setup you have. It looks like a quick way to unhook and the non top heavy setup.
+Quote Post
dubob
post Dec 1 2014, 09:05 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Jeeper4life @ Nov 30 2014, 05:24 PM)
Dubob, I love the gooseneck setup you have. It looks like a quick way to unhook and the non top heavy setup.
Jeeper,

I'm loving it also so far. I will have to mod the trailer next spring and move the axles back a foot or so to get more weight over the king pin. It sits at just over 500 lbs now and needs to be at or above 1100 lbs. I hope that moving the axles back that far will accomplish that goal. Since this is a first for both me and the trailer company, we didn't know what the KP weight would be.

--------------------
Bob Hicks, from Utah

user posted image
+Quote Post
Warlock
post Mar 7 2015, 07:35 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,029
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ??
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Denali 2500HD
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 2011 Denali 2500HD 2013 Lance 855s

Well Im in a 2011 Denali 4x4 2500HD with a Lance 855s towing a 21' Malibu Wakesetter...Not sure where I fit in but tows like a dream...Put airbags on it to appease the lady didnt notice a difference...Had an Alpenlite Saratoga 935 on the back which was even heavier...Guess I qualify for the "One of those guys" crew....
+Quote Post
Electrojake
post Jun 15 2015, 07:47 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 8,215
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northstar
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 RAM 3500
Type of Tiedowns used: TorkLift & FastGuns
Truck and Camper Setup: See Signature

QUOTE(ronflys701 @ Feb 8 2014, 01:30 PM)
I have a 2500 1998 Dodge Diesel 12v and my gvw is 8800lbs I bought an older as light as possible camper no hot water or built in shower just furnace,stove and regular sized bed ...not a Queen as most have now and Im almost over the weight for my truck ...my question is 99% of every truck camper has put the weight over the limit of the gvw when loaded....and I have talked to many eye to eye in the campgrounds so why is everyone crying about gvw you are almost  all  over the limit when fully loaded unless you buy a 550 ford or equivalent.

All the swaybars lifts airbags may help control the load but nothing can change the max weight for the truck... Naturally Im talking about hard sided and not popups??

This original post is nothing short of fascinating!

Of all the RV types; TT, 5er, hybrid, etc... the Truck-camper setup is by far the most misapplied.
And it all goes back to GVWR issues.
In researching this, (as did ronflys701) found that the majority of truck-campers are indeed over their legal registered weight, or so darn close that it is not really a practical setup.

Any unit that is equipped with a wet-bath and reasonably sized fresh-tank is most likely going to be well over the capacity of any "non-dually" truck that would be foolhardy enough to carry it.
Add a slide, A/C unit, generator, camping gear etc... and to keep it DOT legal you'd need a military deuce & a half to move it!

I keep looking at the loaded/wet-weights of these truck-campers, and then checking the load capacities of GM, RAM, & Ford, non-dually heavy duty trucks and the math just doesn't work.

I'm thinking maybe your F-250 should really be an F-650?
Just saying.

Here: An F-650 properly loaded...
user posted image

And here: ... Not quite what I would call a "comfortable" lading rolleyes.gif
user posted image

--------------------
2016 RAM Longhorn 3500 Cummins/AISIN 4x4
2018 Northstar Arrow-U Truck-Camper
+Quote Post
17 Oaks
post Jun 27 2015, 10:31 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 8,291
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox 1150
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '15 F 350 Dually 4x4 CC/LB King Ranch
Truck and Camper Setup: '15 F350, Rancho 9000XLS, StableLoads, Hellwig Big sway bar

QUOTE(Electrojake @ Jun 15 2015, 07:47 PM)
This original post is nothing short of fascinating!

Of all the RV types; TT, 5er, hybrid, etc... the Truck-camper setup is by far the most misapplied.
And it all goes back to GVWR issues.
In researching this, (as did ronflys701) found that the majority of truck-campers are indeed over their legal registered weight, or so darn close that it is not really a practical setup.

Any unit that is equipped with a wet-bath and reasonably sized fresh-tank is most likely going to be well over the capacity of any "non-dually" truck that would be foolhardy enough to carry it.
Add a slide, A/C unit, generator, camping gear etc... and to keep it DOT legal you'd need a military deuce & a half to move it!

I keep looking at the loaded/wet-weights of these truck-campers, and then checking the load capacities of GM, RAM, & Ford, non-dually heavy duty trucks and the math just doesn't work.

I'm thinking maybe your F-250 should really be an F-650?
Just saying.

Here: An F-650 properly loaded...
user posted image

And here: ... Not quite what I would call a "comfortable" lading rolleyes.gif
user posted image

I tend to agree with your comments. That said here is (maybe) some insight into this hazy crazy world. Auto mfg build inside of a set of parameters, how far inside is closely guarded. They do thing on many components. Not sure of the current offering on some of the HiPerf motors being dropped into the Chevy line, but my 427-435 hp came with a 5 year 100,000k mi warranty on the entire drive train, I had 169,000 mi when a guy ran a stop sign and totaled it out. This applies to trucks as well, especially those mfg for for dual purpose as in general use and commercial business use. Take away: many are at or near the recommended gross weight, while I am not sure of the margin it would be my guess based upon discussions I have had with engineers that work at the major auto mfg that a 10% margin would be realistic if not more.
+Quote Post
Torsten
post Nov 8 2016, 06:16 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 9,245
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance Model 780
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1985 Ford F250 Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 1985 Ford F250 Diesel with Lance Model 780

Hi,

can load 2976 Lbs on my old 1985 F250 Diesel, and my Truckcamper is an 1985 Lance Model 780 wetwight 2568 Lbs so i have no Problem with overload.

And this is ok for german Streetlegal, we do a little other Messurements here, Truckwight is with both full Tanks and me as Driver is 5621 Lbs GVWR from Doordecal is 8598 Lbs so i can load on Top 408 Lbs.

But i read that the newer camper are more heavy than the old ones and that the GVWR on newer trucks is a nightmare.

I think this is typical, Pickuptrucks are not longer workhorses the new ones are more like an SUV for Citydrivers ;-)

This is why i love to drive Classic Cars and Trucks

All the best from Germany

Torsten
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:56 AM