Freespool
post Oct 29 2016, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Well it happened again, I was just a little to trusting on my way home from Oregon. Somewhere in between southern Nev. and so cal some dirt bag stole one of my coolers out of my truck. The bummer about it is I had 4 glass lids that fit my cook ware in it. The dirt bag that stole the cooler probably thought the weight he felt was drinks, I have no doubt the valuable lids were discarded behind some building. I have been to 4 stores so far looking for replacements. Take my advise and do not let your guard down ever. Buy a long cable and loop it threw everything that is exposed. The fifty dollar investment will save you big money over time.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 30 2016, 07:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Not an issue for me with a crew cab. The important stuff goes in the back seat and the camper stays locked...and I'm usually armed anyway. I never leave home without a sidearm. Too many less that upstanding folks out there...
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Oct 30 2016, 10:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

I like your confidence, but I would reconsider being so cavalier. Your stuff might be locked but that would only stop an amateur. I think more time would be spent getting through a cable than slim jiming a door lock or just breaking a window. Your side arm would work great if you were ready and able to see the crime happen but more often than not you will not see or hear anything. I have learned that the best deterrent for theft is a combination of awareness and locks. Not allowing yourself to become a victim is an arduous task, I spend way to much time locking doors and windows. My key rings make me look like a prison guard. Believe me when I say picking up tools or yard equipment and locking them up just because I need to go inside for 2 minutes is a pain, but the potential loss is much worse. Hopefully you will never become a victim.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 31 2016, 11:00 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(Freespool @ Oct 30 2016, 10:22 PM)
I like your confidence, but I would reconsider being so cavalier.  Your stuff might be locked but that would only stop an amateur.  I think more time would be spent getting through a cable than slim jiming a door lock or just breaking a window.  Your side arm would work great if you were ready and able to see the crime happen but more often than not you will not see or hear anything.  I have learned that the best deterrent for theft is a combination of awareness and locks.  Not allowing yourself to become a victim is an arduous task, I spend way to much time locking doors and windows.  My key rings make me look like a prison guard.  Believe me when I say picking up tools or yard equipment and locking them up just because I need to go inside for 2 minutes is a pain, but the potential loss is much worse.  Hopefully you will never become a victim.

I very rarely venture too far from my camper except when hunting but then the rig is parked off road anyway. I do use a cable lock on my genny and I secure it to a wheel on the truck.

I carry insurance on everything. In this state you have to.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:44 AM