IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> fridge replacement in a 1999 timberline, How much is a new/used fridge?

Saxophony
post Mar 7 2018, 12:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,963
Favorite Truck Camper(s): timberline 11.5 ft 1999
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ram 2500
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: happijac

Hey Guys,

I am eventually getting a nice timberline camper for a good price. unfortunately, the fridge stopped working last year and the owner doesnīt want to take care of that. But thats probably why itīs so cheap :/
How are my chances to get a used fridge that fits in my camper?
If a fridge is not working, what are the main reasons for that? Just the fridge needs to be replaced then or are there often bigger problems coming with it?
I never had a camper before, so I have noooo idea..

Thanks for your help,

Max
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Mar 7 2018, 02:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(Saxophony @ Mar 7 2018, 01:21 PM)
Hey Guys,

I am eventually getting a nice timberline camper for a good price. unfortunately, the fridge stopped working last year and the owner doesnīt want to take care of that. But thats probably why itīs so cheap :/
If a fridge is not working, what are the main reasons for that? Just the fridge needs to be replaced then or are there often bigger problems coming with it?

Thanks for your help,

Max

If you have never owned an RV before, you would be better off to take someone with you to look at it who has. To tell you what might be wrong, it would be helpful to know what type of refrigerator you are looking at, but to get you started, pull the lower vent cover on the sidewall and look at the back of the fridge. You will be looking at the cooling coil. If you see yellow residue the coil is a leaker and you are looking at hundreds to replace the coil or the entire fridge. If the coil hasn't leaker parts availability will depend on age, but it should be repairable.

Buying used is possible. They do turn up, but how will you know if it works unless the owner can demonstrate it to you?
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Mar 11 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Couple comments...

Foremost, any older camper that was kept outside will mostly have water damage. People tend to keep them outside (I keep mine INSIDE) when I'm not using it. They will last indefinitely when stored indoors.

Secondly, take someone with you that knows what they are looking at...

Third, if the fridge is toast (it will be an ammonia unit), Replace it with a compressor fridge. Dometic (and others) make drop in compressor fridges at a price point LESS that a replacement ammonia fridge and they cool much better.

The only downside is a compressor fridge will be 2 way, not 3 way but, a compressor fridge is not impacted by off level parking.... and the insulation is better so they stay colder, longer.

My next fridge will be a compressor unit if and when this one pukes.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Mar 11 2018, 11:55 AM
Post #4

Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

If going with a compressor model, do some reading as to power requirements. For many folks some significant solar on the roof is a must to charge the batteries.
+Quote Post
Brokeass Boater
post Mar 12 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,883
Favorite Truck Camper(s): A DRY ONE
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 905 LANCE
Type of Tiedowns used: HAPPY JAC
Truck and Camper Setup: RAM 3500 DUALLY

QUOTE(Saxophony @ Mar 7 2018, 12:21 PM)
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your help,

Max

Two things, If you smell ammonia or if it gurgles when turned on it's the cooling tower and it'll run about 400. I bought a Lance camper cheap because the fridge wasn't working. They are new arond 1100. for a 5cf fridg. If you wanted to buy new and replace it, my bet is that they (old and new ) wont fit thru the door. I had to rebuild mine on the dinet table. Youtube the project, won't be that bad if you are even a little handy,,,gregg
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Mar 12 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #6

If you are not sure if it has leaked i.e. no gurgling or yellow or ammonia smell, the coil may be blocked.

In that case, pull the fridge and turn it upside down and let it set over night. The next day take a rubber mallet and gently tap the coil after pulling it into AC and turning it on. Give some time and see if you can feel first the right side of the coil and then gradually the left side get warm. If it does, circulation has been restored and if you are lucky it may keep working for a long time as in years. Worth a try because it cost nothing except time.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Mar 12 2018, 10:06 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(RV_Tech @ Mar 11 2018, 11:55 AM)
If going with a compressor model, do some reading as to power requirements. For many folks some significant solar on the roof is a must to charge the batteries.

The newer Danfoss and Waeco units pull very little amperage and once cold, duty cycle themselves. They pull more than a conventional Amish fridge but not much more actually and are much, much more efficient. A pair of group 31 deep cycle batteries and a small inverter genny to top them off is all that is required.

My Dometic Amish unit (with dual condenser cooling fans, pulls about 1.5 amps. An equivalent Danfoss pulls 2 amps and duty cycles down top less than an amp when cold.

No leveling issues either and no ambient temperature issues either. With an Amish unit, a hot day will reduce cooling efficiency. Not so with a compressor fridge, plus the initial cool down is a couple hours versus a day or more...

and... a new compressor fridge is less expensive that a replacement Amish unit.

Europeans found out they are better a long time ago.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:23 AM