post Jan 10 2018, 12:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,927
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2017 F250
Type of Tiedowns used: Torglift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2017 F250 4x4 Camper Package 18" rims

First off, hello to everyone on the forum. I'm new to TC's but have been rvíng for 25yrs. I have a 2007 Lance 915 going on my 2017 reg cab F250 w/camper package and 18" rims and tires but it hits the top of the bed rail about 1/4" before resting on the bottom of the truck bed. I have a bed mat already and just need about 1/2 to 3/4" more to clear the bed rail. I hate to add another mat because of the weight. I've been thinking of other ways such as garage floor tiles, gym mats etc. I could just put 3/4"plywood in the bed, maybe not the whole sheet, thinking about ripping it 12" for each side with some thin rubber mat adhered to it so it won't slide. Anyone run into this problem and have any ideas? Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campimgcrazy
post Jan 10 2018, 07:04 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,369
Favorite Truck Camper(s): sunlite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 150
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: sunlite

QUOTE(KyJoe340 @ Jan 10 2018, 12:41 AM)
First off, hello to everyone on the forum. I'm new to TC's but have been rvíng for 25yrs. I have a 2007 Lance 915 going on my 2017 reg cab F250 w/camper package and 18" rims and tires  but it hits the top of the bed rail about 1/4" before resting on the bottom of the truck bed. I have a bed mat already and just need about 1/2 to 3/4" more to clear the bed rail. I hate to add another mat because of the weight. I've been thinking of other ways such as garage floor tiles, gym mats etc. I could just put 3/4"plywood in the bed, maybe not the whole sheet, thinking about ripping it 12" for each side with some thin rubber mat adhered to it so it won't slide. Anyone run into this problem and have any ideas? Thanks

I purchased a different truck and the top of the cab was too close to the bottom of the underside of the camper, so I used 1by 2 treated under camper to raise it.
Not sure what is under your rig but the weigh is minimal, and a lot less than a sheet of ply wood.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Jan 10 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Most folks use a sheet of plywood and it spreads out the weight of the camper better than 2x4's do. You want the load bearing bottom of the camper to be fully supported and the plywood does that.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Jan 11 2018, 07:48 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

There are many ways to do this and all of the them work. I believe Northstar uses a perimeter rather than an entire sheet right out of the gate. If you follow this link you will see their "riser" option which has been described as creosote coated. Google "truck camper riser" for more information.

http://www.northstarcampers.com/products/h...edo#Accessories .

I used 2x4s with no problem painted them before screwing them into place. I have also seen folks use 1x4s and you will find folks using foam board which comes in a variety of thicknesses glue to the bottom, although it will crush a bit under the weight. It's not rocket science and you do not need to add the weight of a plywood sheet to get the elevation you need. This is a very common issue with many simple solutions. I am sure other readers here have done it different ways. smile.gif

Personally I find our camper does very little sliding when we load. More like lift, drive under, and drop the side or the end slightly as we lower in order to shift it a little one way or the other as we lower it. Doing that it is normally centered spot on by the time the bottom of the camper hits the bed.
+Quote Post
KyJoe340
post Jan 15 2018, 10:22 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,927
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2017 F250
Type of Tiedowns used: Torglift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2017 F250 4x4 Camper Package 18" rims

Thanks for all the response. Googled "Truck camper riser" and got a lot of info. Didn't know what to call it. Thanks
+Quote Post
JADE RACING
post Jan 18 2018, 02:11 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,895
Favorite Truck Camper(s): adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 07 gmc 3500 dually D/A
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift/fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 07GMC3500 dually diesel/auto airbags torklift tiedowns/fastguns 56 gal transferflow tank banks spd brake/tuner;06 adventurer 106DBS 2.5ownan geny awning topper torklift stairs remote bbq rear awning ext trl hitch/basket for sewer tote

Just a side note, I cut a sheet of 3/4 plywood into 4 pieces to make up 2 crosses to add additional support when we unload at a camp site. To make up the crosses I cut slots at the centers of each sheet half way thru and cut in handle holes in each piece to grab to locate under the raised t/c. gives full support on top of our mat in the bed and has not slipped that I can report. If you are going to carry a sheet of plywood it should have a double use.
+Quote Post
Speck_D
post Jan 30 2018, 11:53 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,933
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Six Pac
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F150 4x4 4.6 Manual short bed
Type of Tiedowns used: Brophy clamp ons
Truck and Camper Setup: 97 f150 v8 4.6L short bed manual with a restored 1988 Six Pac camper, two sets of Hellwig helper springs

QUOTE(JADE RACING @ Jan 18 2018, 02:11 PM)
Just a side note, I cut a sheet of 3/4 plywood into 4 pieces to make up 2 crosses to add additional support when we unload at a camp site. To make up the crosses I cut slots at the centers of each sheet half way thru and cut in handle holes in each piece to grab to locate under the raised t/c. gives full support on top of our mat in the bed and has not slipped that I can report. If you are going to carry a sheet of plywood it should have a double use.

I have had this problem with just about all of my campers, the best solution I could find was going to home depot or lowes, and in the roofing/ lumber section you can get sheets of foam insulation, it is usually pink and is very high density, comes in a variety of thicknesses and also adds a good protection layer. I think its about 20$ for a 4X8 sheet and weighs less than a pound. Here is a link to the product:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-F...g-36L/100320356

good luck!
+Quote Post
wintertree
post Jan 30 2018, 11:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,949
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Snowbird 108DS
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 F-450..upgraded overload springs...Torklift tie downs...single slide Hard wall camper with dry bath...solar...inverter...genset..full thermal package...extra black and grey tankage...kayak and paddle board

Yes I am afraid that campers not fitting trucks properly is the new reality....Ours is a 2006 monster on our new 2016 f-450....I needed to lift the camper 1 1/2" to be comfortable of the overhang not hitting the cab clearance lights....I got some 2x6 pressure treated material and attached it to the underside perimeter with screws and PL9000 construction adhesive...The void left I filled with 1 1/2" thick styro "SM"...Is super dense and strong...You can almost drive on it...but very light weight...Got the camper up where it needed to be...extra insulation on the underside didn't hurt as we often travel off season and the basement in the camper has all the tanks...
BTW....we always have a rubber matt inside the box to keep things from sliding around
+Quote Post
andytruck
post Dec 26 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,703
Favorite Truck Camper(s): skamper
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: big
Type of Tiedowns used: ?
Truck and Camper Setup: 10 for skamper on truck

QUOTE(JADE RACING @ Jan 18 2018, 03:11 PM)

I have seen the X's, not thought to do this. Did you rip the plywood long-ways? so you have a pair of 2 foot tall X's? I may do this also.

Mine sat on the rails on the drive home from purchase. raining and getting dark and the workers there were not highly skilled. Boy, did the camper feel stable sitting on the rails though. Is this bad to do? I was thinking of a way to pad the rails so the camper could sit softly on the rails while still having some weight on the floor.
+Quote Post
JADE RACING
post Dec 28 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,895
Favorite Truck Camper(s): adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 07 gmc 3500 dually D/A
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift/fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 07GMC3500 dually diesel/auto airbags torklift tiedowns/fastguns 56 gal transferflow tank banks spd brake/tuner;06 adventurer 106DBS 2.5ownan geny awning topper torklift stairs remote bbq rear awning ext trl hitch/basket for sewer tote

QUOTE(andytruck @ Dec 26 2018, 09:30 PM)
I have seen the X's, not thought to do this.  Did you rip the plywood long-ways? so you have a pair of 2 foot tall X's?  I may do this also.

Mine sat on the rails on the drive home from purchase.  raining and getting dark and the workers there were not highly skilled.  Boy, did the camper feel stable sitting on the rails though. Is this bad to do?  I was thinking of a way to pad the rails so the camper could sit softly on the rails while still having some weight on the floor.

I made 3 cuts in the 4X8 sheet of plywood giving me 4 pieces 2'x4' and then I made a cut in each sheet at the center line 12&1/2" by 3/4" to make the X's. This has worked for going on 4 years . This was my solution for height while loaded and stability while unloaded.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:09 AM