Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,865
Favorite Truck Camper(s): no
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: C7
Type of Tiedowns used: No
Truck and Camper Setup: Happijac

Hi,
I am looking to get a truck and a camper. This has been a dream of mine for a few years now and I am finally able to make it happen. I have been looking into toyota tacoma, f150, and Chevy Silverado. I am still not sure which is best, diesle or gas, automatic or manual. I want to hual a camper and be able to get almost anywhere. I am planning on being an active camper, so long miles and possible rough terrain. Basically I want to have a truck that can be reliable and able to tackle most scenarios. I don't think I need a super heavy duty truck, but instead of talking to truck enthusiasts id rather talk to the community that is doing what I want my truck to be able to do. This is also my first truck that I'll be purchasing?
any idea?

Please help.
Thanks!
I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.
References:http://www.irv2.com/forums/f33/which-truck-will-be-best-for-camper-257920.html

Online Promotional Advertising
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chief 2
post Dec 20 2017, 06:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,469
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Chevrolet 3500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac with Quick Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 Edge Attitude, 4" exhaust, Airaid Air Intake, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig, Cabover struts. Lance 1172 loaded with 200 watt Renogy solar and Zamp controller

I think I would try to narrow down the TC size you want to buy and then you will have a better idea of the truck you will need. If you buy a truck that is "light duty" then it will limit your TC choices. Keep in mind that you may find that your initial TC may not be big enough for you and if you have a light truck it will limit you upgrading to a bigger TC so you may want to go with at least a 3/4 ton truck and I would go diesel if you can afford it.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Dec 20 2017, 07:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

Without some parameters, this question is too broad to answer in a meaningful fashion. In reality some members of this forum likely use both the models you are considering as well as every model you are not considering.

Camper weight dictates at least in part truck selection. Assuming you really are going to wander far and wide off the beaten track, my guess is you are considering a camper that is fairly light, which means you can go with a lighter duty truck, but at the same time, purchasing a lighter duty truck will be a limiting factor if you change your mind.

I have a popup camper to perhaps make getting around off road easier, but I put it on a one ton truck because when fully loaded the camper and our stuff requires the carrying capacity of the truck when we are ready to roll. Since I don't need the grunt of a diesel nor the initial purchase or routine maintenance costs (yes, I have owned diesel in the past), I currently manage nicely with a gasser. I see the power selection as more preference than need, but that is just me.

Every truck/camper combination is going to have its strong and weak points. My overall thought is you may want to stop with truck selection until you decide what your truck will be hauling. Or, as the RV guys say "first you decide what you are going to pull, then you decide what to pull it with". smile.gif
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Dec 20 2017, 09:31 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

RV tech is correct. Pick your TC first and then the truck. I will say that any Toyota pickup will severely limit your selection. Even a 4 wheel camper in a toyota is marginal because it's underpowered. Nice grocery getters (Toyota) but without extensive engine modifications, the stock motor is anemic.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:18 AM