corinthal
post Oct 19 2015, 09:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,529
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350 FX4 6.4 Power Stroke SB
Type of Tiedowns used: Na
Truck and Camper Setup: I don't have a set up yet, looking for information on future possible set up.

I currently own a Power Wagon but I'm looking at trading across for a 2500.
I've browsed several different TC brands and models with everything coming up (that the wife and I find except able) with a wiggle room of about 700lbs.

I'm tracking you want about 1000lbs to play with, so my question is this:
Can I add bags or a leaf to safe take that extra weight?

The truck is an amazing deal if everything works out, otherwise it's save up for a 3500/350.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ultimately my wife and I want to do what my Mother in Law does, hop and in the truck and go! Except we would have a boat or a bike behind the truck.

Side note, looking at an F350 long bed now, I think I'm heading the right direction.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Richandtd
post Nov 1 2015, 11:52 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,531
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northern lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007 Ram 3500 DRW 4 door 8' bed
Type of Tiedowns used: None yet
Truck and Camper Setup: Billstein shocks and steering stablizer 5.9 diesel 4x4 sticker on door says I can carry 4806 people and cargo looking at a putting a northern lite 10.2 speical edition with generator and pulling a 24 foot enclosed car hauler with a Toyota Tacoma inside should be 8800 pounds total trailer weight and wet weight of northern lite should be 4500.

A good deal is only as good as the service you will receive from it. I'm still in the process of getting our tc and started with a ram 3500 drw with a payload of 4806 pounds. A buddy of mine has a f250 and his payload is 2800. So for me having the dually and diesel power with 4 doors and a 8' bed just makes the most sence. Good luck finding your right truck.
+Quote Post
17 Oaks
post Nov 2 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,291
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox 1150
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '15 F 350 Dually 4x4 CC/LB King Ranch
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: '15 F350, Rancho 9000XLS, StableLoads, Hellwig Big sway bar

QUOTE(corinthal @ Oct 19 2015, 09:08 PM)
I currently own a Power Wagon but I'm looking at trading across for a 2500.
I've browsed several different TC brands and models with everything coming up (that the wife and I find except able) with a wiggle room of about 700lbs.

I'm tracking you want about 1000lbs to play with, so my question is this:
Can I add bags or a leaf to safe take that extra weight?

The truck is an amazing deal if everything works out, otherwise it's save up for a 3500/350.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ultimately my wife and I want to do what my Mother in Law does, hop and in the truck and go! Except we would have a boat or a bike behind the truck.

Side note, looking at an F350 long bed now, I think I'm heading the right direction.

I agree 100% on finding a F 350, its the safety factor!

To answer your question: There is nothing you can do that will change the ratings given on your truck usually found on the door jam. If you payload is 3000 lbs it will always be 3000 lbs...EVEN tho you reinforce it with ChromeMoly steel and armor plating, it does not change anything in the eyes of the DOT and the law if you were sued.

There are a lot of factors that go to add up the capacity rating of your truck. Prime of which is your rear axle rating from the manuf such as Dana or GM etc. The axle is rated to carry x amount of lbs and unless you replace the axle that does not change, then there is the frame and springs. Sure you can add a overload spring but again it goes back to the manuf weight rating and you cannot change that.

As for bags, I don't run them (but I have, twice!) and IMO they only separate you from your money UNLESS your vehicle was built to use them and there are no shortage of vehicles that are, my wife's car had them and my dad had them on his 1956 Caddy and they were OEM, In both cases they were used to offset the weight in the very large trunks. They have their purpose, but using them to increase your load carrying is not one of the uses.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:12 PM