post May 5 2014, 07:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,547
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Any
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC
Type of Tiedowns used: Looking
Truck and Camper Setup: New Set Up

I have a 2005 GMC, 2500, diesel, crew that I want to put a camper on. I have found a few good campers, but the tie down costs seem way overinflated! Does anyone have advice on sourcing tie downs at a reasonable price? If it makes a difference, I am in Canada. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McKay
post May 5 2014, 09:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,547
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Any
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC
Type of Tiedowns used: Looking
Truck and Camper Setup: New Set Up

This will seem super redneckish, but why not just use ratchet straps?
+Quote Post
Highway Runner
post Jul 4 2014, 07:09 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,575
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 King Ranch 4x4 DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: Host Rainier DS - F350 4x4 DRW - timbren-m-41.html">Timbrens, Rancho 9Ks, Extended Hitch and 4 rubber band guns!

QUOTE(McKay @ May 5 2014, 07:31 PM)
I have a 2005 GMC, 2500, diesel, crew that I want to put a camper on. I have found a few good campers, but the tie down costs seem way overinflated! Does anyone have advice on sourcing tie downs at a reasonable price?  If it makes a difference, I am in Canada. Thanks.

Safety is you first responsibility when considering equipment like tie downs. Don't skimp on the cost. Travel time means your camper will shift some. In the case of an accident, if you don't have your load secure, your liability is exposed.
Find used units if you can which will be a little less than new.
Remember, my grandchildren are with me on the road. I prefer YOU do things right!
Respectfully,
+Quote Post
ishouldbcamping
post Jul 25 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,691
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge Ram 3500 Crew cab
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo, torklift, bilsteins, timbrens severe service ses, 1986 Pilgrim 11'3" completely restored

I found Tweetys.com to be the most affordable and ive looked everywhere
+Quote Post
tom
post Jul 26 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,385
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ulta lite 1200lbs to me is not lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: f150 ford
Type of Tiedowns used: home built to frame
Truck and Camper Setup: looked for something really lite, nothing on the market. Wanted something less than half of the rated weight load for a 1/2 ton truck.Like to be realistic about weight capacities. Built a totally aluminum unit. 8 ft. box, 80 in. wide, 80 in. high. With door, windows and AC and jacks I can still left one end by hand and I'm over 60. I'm guessing at this point unit must be around 200 lbs.

QUOTE(ishouldbcamping @ Jul 25 2014, 08:26 PM)
I found Tweetys.com to be the most affordable and ive looked everywhere

If you have a receiver type hitch you might be able to use it for rear tie downs. My hitch was open square tube on each side. I fit square tubing into each side and through bolted it to the hitch tubing. Used I bolts, threaded rod and turn buckles. On the front I was able to bolt another piece of square tubing perpendicular to the truck frame using existing holes in the frame. I bolted a piece of steel channel on to the frame then bolted a piece of tubing into the channel. I then bolted and upright piece of steel angle to the square tube. The steel angle was then bolted to an existing bed mount to stop any up lift. Most of the expensive ties downs I looked at were attached to the bumper and the truck bed. Neither being all that stable. I was run off the road into the ditch. Luckily I made it back onto the berm. Once I recovered and realized my pants were still clean I checked the camper. It never moved, nothing was bent stressed or tweaked.

Hope this helps

Tom
+Quote Post
CindyOR
post Jul 31 2014, 05:19 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,537
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Angler
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2500 4x4 Chevy Silverado
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac with standard tiedowns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Extended Cab with 1998 Fleetwood Angler 8' self-contained camper

QUOTE(McKay @ May 5 2014, 07:31 PM)
I have a 2005 GMC, 2500, diesel, crew that I want to put a camper on. I have found a few good campers, but the tie down costs seem way overinflated! Does anyone have advice on sourcing tie downs at a reasonable price?  If it makes a difference, I am in Canada. Thanks.

We have just about the same set up except for the diesel and our truck is a 2000. Our truck was partially set up (all holes drilled) but the previous owners took all hardware off. We bought the whole set up through a local dealer, but you can do better price-wise by buying online. We went with the HappiJack Direct to Frame Camper TieDown system and have not been disappointed. Seems to keep the camper on securely, which is the point:)
Can't remember if the stabilizer bar which goes across the front of the bed comes with it but think it did not and you have to purchase it separately.
+Quote Post
arch7
post Sep 22 2014, 02:23 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,779
Favorite Truck Camper(s): NuWa
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1993 F350 crew 7.5
Type of Tiedowns used: tow straps / HD straps
Truck and Camper Setup: 1980's 11' NuWay on 93 F350 7.5 crew cab long bed. all stock

I'd like to hear someone explain why one shouldn't use ratchet straps when the weight rating / strength rating of the strap is better or as good as some specialized tie down turnbuckle / bracket assembly. I've heard the argument that the turnbuckles have the springs and will flex but the ratchet straps will too!! Why not use a heavy duty tow ratchet strap? That's what I'm using, tied directly to the frame (seems to me intuitively safer than the steel turnbuckle attached to the bed) and have driven it so far 800 miles highway no problems and gone off road with it.

I think the straps are great and perfectly safe, just keep checking them in the side view mirror and when you stop for gas etc.
+Quote Post
LDHunter
post Sep 25 2014, 06:23 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,981
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2006 F350 6.0 Lariat King 8'
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: Looking for a camper right now.

QUOTE(arch7 @ Sep 22 2014, 03:23 PM)
I'd like to hear someone explain why one shouldn't use ratchet straps when the weight rating / strength rating of the strap is better or as good as some specialized tie down turnbuckle / bracket assembly. I've heard the argument that the turnbuckles have the springs and will flex but the ratchet straps will too!! Why not use a heavy duty tow ratchet strap? That's what I'm using, tied directly to the frame (seems to me intuitively safer than the steel turnbuckle attached to the  bed) and have driven it so far 800 miles highway no problems and gone off road with it.

I think the straps are great and perfectly safe, just keep checking them in the side view mirror and when you stop for gas etc.

Makes sense to me... The only caveat would be that maybe the straps would rub on the side of the pickup bed. If so that could ruin paint but for a lightweight camper such as a popup it makes sense...
+Quote Post
blackbee045
post Oct 24 2014, 05:08 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,827
Favorite Truck Camper(s): samsung
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dually 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Custom
Truck and Camper Setup: dfasf

Our truck was partially set up (all holes drilled) but the previous owners took all hardware off. We bought the whole set up through a local dealer, but you can do better price-wise by buying online. We went with the HappiJack Direct to Frame Camper TieDown system and have not been disappointed. Seems to keep the camper on securely, which is the point:)
Can't remember if the stabilizer bar which goes across the front of the bed comes with it but think it did not and you have to purchase it separately.

Unlock the key of your success by Braindumps and ACCA .
+Quote Post
KY_Campers
post Oct 26 2014, 08:09 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,413
Favorite Truck Camper(s): .....
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: ......
Type of Tiedowns used: .......
Truck and Camper Setup: .........

I built my own tie down mounts and the cost was very low, because I used scrap metal that I had laying around.... I have less than $30.00 dollars in these!

Here's some pictures in this thread.

http://www.truckcamperforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2441

When I buy a F-250 or F-350 diesel, I plan to build another set and use square tubing the next time!

As for using ratchet straps... Make sure you get straps that are rated for the load and you shouldn't have any problems!

I used to drive a tractor trailer with a 48' flatbed... I've hauled pipe, metal and all kinds of other material and used ratchet straps to strap down the load.

Next time someone is on the interstate and see's a tractor trailer with a flatbed, look at the trailer and you will most likely see the load with ratchet straps over them.... The only time I didn't use ratchet straps was if I was hauling farm tractors... We used chains and ratchet binders.

--------------------
. . . .
+Quote Post
shock
post Nov 12 2015, 12:17 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,423
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino (that's what I'm looking to buy)
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2015 Chevrolet 2500 DMax Crew Cab Standard Bed
Type of Tiedowns used: Palamino Bronco 1251 (sold)
Truck and Camper Setup: Going back to a Suburban, and probably a pop-up tent camper.

I'm noticing the cost dilemma as well. I haven't picked up my truck camper yet. I'm going to install on-frame brackets. The previous owner had the brackets mounted on the side of the bed and the rear bumper so the happijak tie-down-twisty-turnbuckle things are too short to reach down to on-frame brackets.

Can I use chains to extend them? DOT grade 70 is what I had in mind. All of the DOT grade 70 stuff is WAY cheaper. Seems like it might be used even in lieu of things made just for campers.

Here is a link to where the chains are sold: http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Chain/Grade-70-Chain
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Nov 12 2015, 05:43 PM
Post #12

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

www.torklift.com
Best in tha business.

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
december45
post Dec 5 2015, 10:11 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 8,549
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: f250
Type of Tiedowns used: happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance165s

I see this thread has been revived, I am glad, being new to the world of cabover campers.
I have asked this question on another site, and want to ask it again.
When the topic of tie downs comes up (and I have lots of questions) some swear by torklift others say well happijak is fine. Most have strong opinions on their choice.
I would like to ask should the tie downs be snugged, tight, or really really tight. I also would like to know what the purpose of the tie downs.
Are they for incase of an accident, to keep the truck and camper together incase of a serious accident?
or are they to keep the camper from shifting in the bed of the truck, and it would seem to me no matter how much it shifted around inside the bed of your truck it should not be dangerous to the general public. I have seen the use of some hand made spacers to limit the shifting.
or are they to insure the camper does not slide out, blow out or what ever from the pickup.
or is it just a common thing to "secure" your load more of a cya thing.
+Quote Post
17 Oaks
post Dec 9 2015, 07:42 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,291
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox 1150
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '15 F 350 Dually 4x4 CC/LB King Ranch
Truck and Camper Setup: '15 F350, Rancho 9000XLS, StableLoads, Hellwig Big sway bar

QUOTE(Spanky @ Nov 12 2015, 05:43 PM)
www.torklift.com
Best in tha business.

YES!!!!!!!!

I run the Torklift: Stable Loads, Fast Guns and Talon tie downs, best in the business!!!
+Quote Post
17 Oaks
post Mar 1 2016, 07:21 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,291
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox 1150
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '15 F 350 Dually 4x4 CC/LB King Ranch
Truck and Camper Setup: '15 F350, Rancho 9000XLS, StableLoads, Hellwig Big sway bar

QUOTE(Spanky @ Nov 12 2015, 05:43 PM)
www.torklift.com
Best in tha business.

X2

S A F E T Y is number 1 concern and in order of importance you are last, the other drivers on the road are #1, then your passengers and finally you...

in one of the post above a guy built his own. I am a former machinist/welder/fabricator I can built a set, I am sure the other fellow can also, there are more than one approach to skin this cat but what ever you do THINK SAFETY FIRST and I cannot tell you how cheap those high dollar Torklift (which is what I run) are when you look in your side view mirror and see that TC bouncing down the road behind you.

I was driving I 10 in W Tex the other day and on the other side there was Tx DPS, a truck parked on the shoulder and a smallish TC laying on the side of the road more in pieces than whole. Tie down fail or fail to run tie downs one or the other...
+Quote Post
steve
post Apr 6 2016, 05:21 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,845
Favorite Truck Camper(s): northland
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: chev 3/4 ton extended cab
Type of Tiedowns used: custom
Truck and Camper Setup: 2002 silverado 3/4 ton extended cab with airlift loadlifters. used Northland slidein unknown year.Double bed,stove,refrig,table,toilet,converter,manuel jaacks

i bought a used Northland camper and it had 4 large turnbuckles with it. i bolted a piece of 2 inch square tubing to the frame in the front and built a 3" round pipe bumper in the back and hooked the turn buckles to them.then i put on a set of Air Ride bags. still working on my clearance lights. think im missing a ground wire somewhere.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:41 AM