mauser
post Nov 21 2012, 07:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,367
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Dreamer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1973 GMC 1ton 2wd
Type of Tiedowns used: Brophy
Truck and Camper Setup: 1973 GMC 1Ton CamperSpecial 2wd with 1993 Elkhorn 9ft slide in camper.

Hello, I am new here to this forum and have a question that I was hoping some experienced campers might might have some suggestions on. I was unloading my truck camper a couple weeks ago and to make a long story short the camper collapsed, tearing both front jacks loose (though they are fine) the camper is severely damaged in the front and now on my grass yard at an angle. I need to rotate it about 15-20 degrees in line with the garage so I can back a truck into to load it and transport to the R.V. repair ctr. As you can see by the pics it's on blocks. Any suggestions?
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

before picture!
user posted image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Nov 26 2012, 07:59 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

Depending on the weight of your camper, you might try to borrow or rent a pair of the old style 'cable' type camper jacks. You could then lift each side only a couple of inches & rotate it slightly over the blocks (a 2-man job), let it down & the repeat the operation 'til it's at the position you want. I've found that when using these type jacks there is a slight amount of 'flex' & lowering the jack on the side away from the direction you want to move allows the bottom of the camper to move in the desired direction (dunno if that makes any sense or not?). You could then raise it enough with the cable jacks to load onto the truck. I think I'd go ahead & remove the loose/damaged jacks before loading.
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Nov 26 2012, 08:24 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

If you can rent a small Bobcat loader use it to lift the camper's front end and move it. You might be able to get forklift attachments but the bucket will work too.

After you have the camper repaired you could install a set of WobblStoppers from Torklift. They help to limit the camper wobbling which prevents stress damage in the jacks. I put a set on my camper and they do really work. Its the movement in the camper when its off the truck that causes this kind of damage. The wind will do it on its own.

http://www.torklift.com/o.php?w_page=wobbl_stoppr/
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Nov 26 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

Maybe a couple of old truck inner tubes and air them up under it and just turn it by hand. (Thinkin out loud)

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
mauser
post Nov 26 2012, 12:49 PM
Post #5

Truck and Camper Setup: 1973 GMC 1Ton CamperSpecial 2wd with 1993 Elkhorn 9ft slide in camper.

QUOTE(Spanky @ Nov 26 2012, 09:31 AM)
Maybe a couple of old truck inner tubes and air them up under it and just turn it by hand. (Thinkin out loud)

Thanks for the feedback and advice! I have guys coming from the R.V. place this week or soon after with the tripod' suicide' jacks. I used those before when I had a 10 ft Alaskan. They came with the camper for $500 total (another story). I was talking to another guy and he has done this before. He suggested lifting it with a floor jack high enough to put down some timbers or plywood beneath than using steel piping to simply roll it in to place. We'll see. Now there is snow on the ground for the next few days. Thanks!
+Quote Post
mauser
post Nov 26 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Spanky @ Nov 26 2012, 09:31 AM)

Man, I like those wobblstoppers. Great idea.
+Quote Post
mauser
post Dec 5 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(mauser @ Nov 26 2012, 12:55 PM)
Man, I like those wobblstoppers. Great idea.

FYI--Rotated camper last week, was moved to repair ctr. via trailer yesterday. What a relief! Cant wait to have it back on the truck, safe and sound.
+Quote Post
Oscar
post Dec 7 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,383
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance, I think.
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy 3500HD CC LB DRW DmaxAllison
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift With Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy 3500 Dmax CC DRW. Torklift tie downs. 2012 Lance 1191

I would get a case of beer and get 6 or more hands out of the neighborhood.......
+Quote Post
mauser
post Dec 11 2012, 01:08 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Oscar @ Dec 7 2012, 11:38 PM)
I would get a case of beer and get 6 or more hands out of the neighborhood.......

People scatter when help is asked for here dry.gif so I got it moved via trailer and the tripod/cable jacks were used to mount it..I had those types of jacks before when I owned an Alaskan 10 footer. I got the repair estimate and am hoping things will move quickly now.
+Quote Post
post Dec 14 2012, 02:50 AM
Post #10

Group:
Member No.: 0

Thanks for the post and as well very niece on your side to let us know what you did finally. As it seems real trouble to find a cause to such a awful problem.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:51 PM