IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> 2017 F250 with Lance 855, Will my truck handle the camper?

Happy Camper
post Oct 25 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,847
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F250
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2017 ford F250, timbren-m-41.html">Timbrens, Torklift tiedowns, fastguns, 2011 Lance 855

I have a new 2017 F250 short box, E rated tires with a 10,000 lb GVWR I have installed Timbrens and torklift tie downs on the truck, I purchased a 2011 Lance 855 and was told it has a dry weight of 2364 pounds. I later discovered it weights 3120 pounds loaded with all options water, propane, batteries, etc. included.
Will my truck handle this camper ok?
anyone have a similar set up and how does it work?
I have not mounted this camper on the truck yet.
Are there any other up grades I need to do to the truck?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 26 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(Happy Camper @ Oct 25 2017, 05:35 PM)
I have a new 2017 F250 short box, E rated tires with a 10,000 lb GVWR I have installed Timbrens  and torklift tie downs on the truck, I purchased a 2011 Lance 855 and was told it has a dry weight of 2364 pounds. I later discovered it weights 3120 pounds loaded with all options water, propane, batteries, etc. included.
Will my truck handle this camper ok?
anyone have a similar set up and how does it work?
I have not mounted this camper on the truck yet.
Are there any other up grades I need to do to the truck?

What does your door sticker say for payload weight?

I think you are way over. I think I'd be getting a 3500 series truck. Your undercarriage isn't up to hauling it....
+Quote Post
Happy Camper
post Oct 26 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,847
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F250
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2017 ford F250, timbren-m-41.html">Timbrens, Torklift tiedowns, fastguns, 2011 Lance 855

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Oct 26 2017, 03:12 PM)
What does your door sticker say for payload weight?

I think you are way over.  I think I'd be getting a 3500 series truck.  Your undercarriage isn't up to hauling it....

Door sticker says 3450 Pounds, which would make it under by 330 lbs.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 26 2017, 07:18 PM
Post #4

Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(Happy Camper @ Oct 26 2017, 03:33 PM)
Door sticker says 3450 Pounds, which would make it under by 330 lbs.

If the door sticker says 3450 you will still be over because you have to account for occupants, fuel and anything else. remember, payload weight is based on a truck with no fuel and no occupants and no accessories like a receiver hitch for instance.

90% of TC'er are overloaded anyway so just join the club. I'm in the 10%. I'm 1100 pounds under payload weight with a wet camper and me and the wife in the truck with full fuel tanks.

One problem you will have with the Fast Guns and a short bed is the front tie down attachment rod will interfere with you opening the fuel filler door, Every short bed Ford has the same issue. So you don't chew up the paint, I suggest a length of heater hose zip tied to the leg so the door hits the hose instead of the metal leg.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Oct 28 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

The only way to actually answer this question is to weigh your combination at a CAT scale loaded the way you will travel. Anything else is just a wild guess no matter what Lance says. Will your truck handle it? Probably. Will you be overloaded? Almost assuredly. If folks paid attention to their weight rating most truck campers would be riding on F450s and F550s or comparable.

I think even the folks who haul pop-ups would be surprised as to their actual weights when ready to travel, if they took the time to weigh them.

Running an F350 SRW gasser hauling a Hallmark Ute XL, if I fill the water tank, I am about 100 pounds over my rear axle weight rating. That is an 8-foot narrow body pop-up truck camper! Certainly not a heavy weight in anyone's book. smile.gif

Steve
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 29 2017, 08:33 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(RV_Tech @ Oct 28 2017, 04:43 PM)
The only way to actually answer this question is to weigh your combination at a CAT scale loaded the way you will travel. Anything else is just a wild guess no matter what Lance says. Will your truck handle it? Probably. Will you be overloaded? Almost assuredly. If folks paid attention to their weight rating most truck campers would be riding on F450s and F550s or comparable.

I think even the folks who haul pop-ups would be surprised as to their actual weights when ready to travel, if they took the time to weigh them.

Running an F350 SRW gasser hauling a Hallmark Ute XL, if I fill the water tank, I am about 100 pounds over my rear axle weight rating. That is an 8-foot narrow body pop-up truck camper! Certainly not a heavy weight in anyone's book. smile.gif

Steve

Steve... That Hallmark must be heavy. lol

I'm good for 3550 payload with my 350 and the camper weight is a pie in the sky 1950. I figure it weighs more like 2500 wet so that leaves me about 1000 pounds to play with give or take and probably more give than take anyway.

I do know (having owned one) that Lance listed weights are really pie in the sky. My Lance that I sold weighed a full 1000 pounds more than the sticker weight and that was with no 'stuff' inside and dry.

Some of the bigger, loaded, triple slide barges like the Host Mammoth must weigh a stupid amount.
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Oct 30 2017, 03:43 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Oct 26 2017, 07:18 PM)
If the door sticker says 3450 you will still be over because you have to account for occupants, fuel and anything else.  remember, payload weight is based on a truck with no fuel and no occupants and no accessories like a receiver hitch for instance.

90% of TC'er are overloaded anyway so just join the club.  I'm in the 10%.  I'm 1100 pounds under payload weight with a wet camper and me and the wife in the truck with full fuel tanks.

One problem you will have with the Fast Guns and a short bed is the front tie down attachment rod will interfere with you opening the fuel filler door,  Every short bed Ford has the same issue.  So you don't chew up the paint, I suggest a length of heater hose zip tied to the leg so the door hits the hose instead of the metal leg.

Fast guns block the fuel door on long bed Fords to. I don't consider it a problem as it takes 10 seconds or less to remove the Fast Guns.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 31 2017, 08:51 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(skyhammer @ Oct 30 2017, 03:43 PM)
Fast guns block the fuel door on long bed Fords to. I don't consider it a problem as it takes 10 seconds or less to remove the Fast Guns.

Thought it was only short beds. I modified the guy's Talon's who bought my Lance by removing the end plate and CNC plasma cutting a new, longer (forward) mount so the tie down clears the fuel filler door and increases the tie down angle as well in as much as the angle needs to be steeper anyway. Did that on both sides. He didn't buy the rear set at all. I fabbed a slip in mount that pins into the side receiver tube and took the front plates and welded them to the rear tube mounts.

In fact, I built a set for my truck as well. I never liked the rear HJ bumper mounts so I eliminated them entirely.

In actuality, only the front mounts secure the camper in the bed. The rear mounts only keep the camper from bouncing around and limit side to side movement to a degree.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Oct 31 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Oct 29 2017, 09:33 PM)
Steve...  That Hallmark must be heavy.  lol

I'm good for 3550 payload with my 350 and the camper weight is a pie in the sky 1950.  I figure it weighs more like 2500 wet so that leaves me about 1000 pounds to play with give or take and probably more give than take anyway.

I do know (having owned one) that Lance listed weights are really pie in the sky.  My Lance that I sold weighed a full 1000 pounds more than the sticker weight and that was with no 'stuff' inside and dry.

Some of the bigger, loaded, triple slide barges like the Host Mammoth must weigh a stupid amount.

Fill the water tank and if it has an AC unit, I bet you are closer to 3,000 pounds. Standard is to add 1,000 pounds to whatever the manufacturer says. Just a hunch. Not saying you are overweight, but as the saying goes "the manufacturer's weight rating is what they wished it weighed". smile.gif

Steve
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Nov 1 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(RV_Tech @ Oct 31 2017, 10:08 AM)
Fill the water tank and if it has an AC unit, I bet you are closer to 3,000 pounds. Standard is to add 1,000 pounds to whatever the manufacturer says. Just a hunch. Not saying you are overweight, but as the saying goes "the manufacturer's weight rating is what they wished it weighed". smile.gif

Steve

No air on mine. I open the windows up...lol

I agree, stated weight and actual weight are 2 different animals and that especially applies to Lance.

Mine advertised at 1910. Don't think it's 2910 however. With the camper in the bed and no air in the bags, my overload leaf is still 3" from the block. Now, with the Lance, the overload was on the block unless I had 50 psi in the bags. Farmer down the road just put in a new platform scale so I'll weigh it this spring.

Everything is sleeping now. Truck and camper are cohabitating in the garage.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:17 PM