post Jan 16 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,197
Favorite Truck Camper(s): na
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 2500 Crew 4X4
Type of Tiedowns used: na
Truck and Camper Setup: Not yet

I've read the previous post about NADA being historically low. How else do I determine value of a used TC? I am looking at a 1992 Starcraft 852. It has been well cared for, but I have no way to check out all the appliances. The owner says the stove and oven have never been used, and the refrigerator has only been started once in the past 5 years, and then it was "noisy", but worked.

How do I go about establishing a value? The owner is asking $4800, NADA is around $2000.

Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
drc5900
post Feb 22 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,241
Favorite Truck Camper(s): The one I have of course: Jayco!
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9L 12v Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually Extended Cab, Billeted Goerend AT Tranny w/triple disk TC & manual lockup.
Type of Tiedowns used: The ones it came with: homemade.
Truck and Camper Setup: Truck as above. Camper: 1993 Jayco Jay Hunter 950 fully equiped, approx. 3000Lbs loaded. Homemade tiedowns. 5000Lbs Mopar receiver hitch. Homemade 3' extended hitch. Homemade Jackadapters for dually: 1/4"SS 6"x6"x6" square tube. "Donut" between reartruck- and camper slider window. No Airbags: the camper nicely smoothed out the hard suspension :-) . Hott-Rod electric heater added to propane waterheater.

Surf the web, at places such as craigslist, for asking prices in private sales for similar, early 1990's, TC's in similar condition. The seller's asking price seems very high. I searched for 9 months before in June 2009 I found the TC I wanted for a reasonable price (1993 Jayco 950 askprice $2650, bought for $2K, in great condition, all appliances tested before purchase). On my search to my TC, I found that a lot of sellers think their TC is worth gold, just avoid those sellers because they can't be reasoned with. A noisy fridge: maybe it's on it's last legs: keep in mind that a new fridge will set you back around $1000. Appliances not used for many years aren't necessarily better than appliances that are used: They might be full of bugs which crawled & spawned in there over the years...
Ask the seller to show you all appliances working properly (e.g. that means all propane appliances need to have clean blue flames), IF all appliances are working properly there is no reason he can't show you, don't put up with any excuses as to why not.
Also, check thoroughly for evidence of roofleaks.
Remember you are buying a 20 years old RV, it's gonna have a few things that need to be done, and if it hasn't been used for many years you likely will have to catch up on maintenance.
If that TC was one I'd really like, I wouldn't offer much above that NADA value, mid $2K at best if in excellent condition.
Good Luck on your search!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:38 AM