Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,997
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Bigfoot
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F-350 Diesel 7.3 4x4 extended cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Custom
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 F-350 4x4 with 2001 Bigfoot 9.6 1500

Hi all,
we purchased a very lightly used 2001 9.6 Bigfoot 1500 last fall. Immaculate inside but has been outside in desert country all it's life and the exterior needs some TLC. What can you recommend to bring the fibreglass back to life and protect it? I want to get it all spiffed up for the camping season this spring. We have resealed all the roof vents but need to replace a couple covers including the escape hatch cover.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Feb 23 2015, 10:01 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

If your Bigfoot has been exposed to desert weather for 14 years, the gel coat may (probably?) have deteriorated badly enough that it'll need professional restoring. You can tell that if the fiberglass is rough or pitted on the surface. If there's gel coat left you may be able to make it look good (& shiny) again. I use Meguiar's 'Flagship Premium Marine Wax. Goes on easily & wipes/rubs off without much trouble (just need lotsa toweling). It's pricey but does a good job. I made a 2001 Casita molded fiberglass camp trailer (that's spent its whole life outdoors in the Texas sun 'til this year) look good with it.
+Quote Post
IluvBigfoots
post Feb 23 2015, 11:36 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,997
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Bigfoot
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F-350 Diesel 7.3 4x4 extended cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Custom
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 F-350 4x4 with 2001 Bigfoot 9.6 1500

QUOTE(Nobody @ Feb 23 2015, 08:01 AM)
If your Bigfoot has been exposed to desert weather for 14 years, the gel coat may (probably?) have deteriorated badly enough that it'll need professional restoring. You can tell that if the fiberglass is rough or pitted on the surface. If there's gel coat left you may be able to make it look good (& shiny) again. I use Meguiar's 'Flagship Premium Marine Wax. Goes on easily & wipes/rubs off without much trouble (just need lotsa toweling). It's pricey but does a good job. I made a 2001 Casita molded fiberglass camp trailer (that's spent its whole life outdoors in the Texas sun 'til this year) look good with it.

Thanks, was figuring that a marine product might be the answer. The gel coat isn't pitted or rough, just chalky.
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Feb 24 2015, 10:24 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

I've only found the Meguiars Flagship at a very few auto parts stores. It is plentiful online & probably at boat dealers. Our closest boat dealer is Bass Pro Shop in Little Rock which is several miles away. I didn't check there; found it instead at a local Advance Auto Parts. Could have gotten twice the amount for same price online but shipping would 'eat you up'.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:50 AM