ridawing
post Aug 18 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,937
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 99' F-250 4X4 Extended Cab 7.3 Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2007 Adventurer w/slide out Happijac electric jacks Banks Power System Banks Brake System Banks Translock System Mag-Htec Transmission Pan Mag-Htec Differential Cover Boost Gauge "Boost" Transmission Temp Gauge Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge "Pyrometer"

I have a Ford F250 4X4 diesel. The previous owner added heavier leaf springs because he towed a large 5th wheel with it. I just purchased an Adventurer 93FDS (has a slide out). The dry weight is 3069 lbs. The dealership said my truck can handle this weight and once they started preping my truck, said I did not need air bags because of the added leaf spings already on the truck. They said I saved a little over $500.00 because they did not need to add air bags.

The camper sat nice on the truck and did not sag in the back, but once home, I noticed it leaning several inches to one side (slide out side). I suspect that the weight off the slide out and refrigerator is causing this problem. If they remove the added leaf springs and replace with air bags, will this correct the problem or is there something else I can do. Any advice would be apprecicated.

Thanks in advance

David Fullen

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bigh110
post Aug 20 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,938
Favorite Truck Camper(s): hornet
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: hornet
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift with fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: late 70s hornet truck camper with torklift and fastguns on a 2004 ford f250 2wd extended cab truck with ride rite air bags

I would at the very least add air bags to the truck you would be able to adjust the air pressure on each side and allow for more pressure in the side that is leaning to bring it up to a level height. I am not positive, but I think you can add airbags without removing the extra spring. I have michelin tires too and they will allow you to carry about 6800 lbs on your rear axle according to manufactures specs. My camper is 2800lbs dry and with my gear in it. It exerts 5600lbs on my rear axle. I would reccomend a rear sway bar for about $200 bucks it will take the white knuckle ride away when negotiating curves on mountain roads.
+Quote Post
ridawing
post Aug 20 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #3

Truck and Camper Setup: 2007 Adventurer w/slide out Happijac electric jacks Banks Power System Banks Brake System Banks Translock System Mag-Htec Transmission Pan Mag-Htec Differential Cover Boost Gauge "Boost" Transmission Temp Gauge Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge "Pyrometer"

QUOTE(bigh110 @ Aug 19 2008, 10:50 PM)
I would at the very least add air bags to the truck you would be able to adjust the air pressure  on each side and allow for more pressure in the side that is leaning to bring it up to  a level height. I am not positive,  but I think you can add airbags without removing the extra spring.  I have michelin tires too and they will allow you to carry about 6800  lbs on your rear axle according to manufactures specs. My camper is 2800lbs dry  and with my gear in it. It exerts 5600lbs on my rear axle.  I would reccomend a rear sway bar for about $200 bucks it will take the white knuckle ride away when negotiating curves on mountain roads.

The people installing the airbags said the Helix leaf spings have to be taken off because they will be in the way of the air bags. I did order the Helix rear sway bar as you suggested. What about a front sway bar? I don't know anythig about either of them, but the rear sway bar looks fairly simple to install.

Thanks for your suggestion on the rear sway bar. The reviews I've read from people who installed them are very happy with them.

David Fullen
+Quote Post
ridawing
post Aug 22 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(ridawing @ Aug 20 2008, 02:22 PM)
The people installing the airbags said the Helix leaf spings have to be taken off because they will be in the way of the air bags.  I did order the Helix rear sway bar as you suggested.  What about a front sway bar?   I don't know anythig about either of them, but the rear sway bar looks fairly simple to install.

Thanks for your suggestion on the rear sway bar.  The reviews I've read from people who installed  them are very happy with them.

David Fullen

bigh110 you were right about being able to keep the added leaf springs on my truck. I ordered the Air-Right air bags and the Heavy Duty air system compressor w/dual gauge control. Both for 527.31. Seemed like a good price. Now if I can find someone to install them at a reasonable price instead of the peole I bought the camper from.

David Fullen
+Quote Post
Catch This
post Jul 9 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,981
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Forf F 250
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: Currently looking for a Lance 845

When I purchased my Lance 845, I had the dealer install the torklift tie downs. He said I "probably" would not need airbags on my F250. As it turned out , with the camper loaded the truck was leaning to the driver side, and the rear of the truck was sagging a little.I dont have a slide out; I guess it was the bathroom and kitchen all on one side weighting it down. I put airbags on and by adjusting the pressure, it levels right out. I run 75 lbs on the drivers sde and 40lbs on the passenger side. The whole rig is level side to side and front to back. The airbags worked for me.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:30 AM