Happy Camper
post Dec 13 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,847
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F250
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2017 ford F250, timbren-m-41.html">Timbrens, Torklift tiedowns, fastguns, 2011 Lance 855

I have a 2017 F250 I have added timbrens to the suspension. I am looking for suggestions to any other suspension enhansments I should do to handle a 2500 Lb 2011 Lance 855.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Dec 13 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

Not clear if you have already driven with it on the truck. Also have you actually weighed it? I will be surprised if the actual weight with your truck ready to roll is not a good bit more.
+Quote Post
Chief 2
post Dec 14 2017, 06:51 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,469
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Chevrolet 3500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac with Quick Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 Edge Attitude, 4" exhaust, Airaid Air Intake, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig, Cabover struts. Lance 1172 loaded with 200 watt Renogy solar and Zamp controller

Upgrade your shocks to say an adjustable Rancho and depending if you get body roll with the TC loaded I would consider a Big Wig sway bar.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Dec 14 2017, 01:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

I think the sway bar is a given essential and I would also change out the 17" tires and wheels to 18" to gain capacity on the rear axle.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Dec 14 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Hate to bvreak your bubble but, no way that Lance weighs 2500. Lance lies loke a good politician when it comes to sticker weight. They (Lance) has to be one of rhe most blatant offenders of lying about weight.

I had a 915 that I sold. Sticker said 2350. Actual dry weight (no water, no 'stuff' battery and propane... 3300. Only 1000 pounds off...only. Loaded up, me and the wife, full fuel tanks all the 'stuff'....5000 pounds.

I have a 1 ton. Your 250 isn't going to cut it. Timbrens or whatever. Your axle isn't rated for that load and something will fail. Bearings, brakes, whatever.

Personally, I would never install Timbrens on anything. If I wanted a solid ride, I'd just install hard rubber blocks and be done with it.

Have fun. Good luck, you are going to need it.
+Quote Post
krman
post Mar 9 2018, 06:11 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,981
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Ford F350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Short Bed 6.7 PSD King Ranch
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift Fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2018 Palomino ss-1251 Backpacker mounted in bed of 2011 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 6.7 PSD King Ranch with short bed. Using spray in liner, rubber bed mat with Torklift Fast guns and Torklift frame mounts on factory hitch.

Best bang for your buck would be to add Firestone Ride-Rite or similar brand air bags on the rear.

Easy install and will make the most improvement for your money.
+Quote Post
wintertree
post Mar 9 2018, 11:52 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,949
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Snowbird 108DS
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 F-450..upgraded overload springs...Torklift tie downs...single slide Hard wall camper with dry bath...solar...inverter...genset..full thermal package...extra black and grey tankage...kayak and paddle board

I'm not sure where you are located....but I have been doing suspension mods on trucks for some time now and here is what I have found....Air bags are very versatile and very adjustable....but....they are high maintenance....If you don't go all the way with the set-up (and install an on board compressor) so the pressures on the bags are right all the time you as they will slowly leak while the truck is idle....next if you are in a cold climate (I am from Canada)....the compressor start up on a cold morning ruins the compressor and the wandering of air pressure when its cold is even a bigger deal....add to the mix salt and debris....the life of this set-up is poor...
I am for upgrades that are as much "install and forget it" as possible....On our latest truck I installed upgraded over load leaf springs.....without any weight on the truck the install was done maintaining the 1 -1/2" gap from the overload to its bumper thus not effecting the everyday "unloaded" ride of the truck....Install and forget it !
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Mar 11 2018, 11:14 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(wintertree @ Mar 9 2018, 11:52 AM)
I'm not sure where you are located....but I have been doing suspension mods on trucks for some time now and here is what I have found....Air bags are very versatile and very adjustable....but....they are high maintenance....If you don't go all the way with the set-up (and install an on board compressor) so the pressures on the bags are right all the time you as they will slowly leak while the truck is idle....next if you are in a cold climate (I am from Canada)....the compressor start up on a cold morning  ruins the compressor and the wandering of air pressure when its cold is even a bigger deal....add to the mix salt and debris....the life of this set-up is poor...
I am for upgrades that are as much "install and forget it" as possible....On our latest truck I installed upgraded over load leaf springs.....without any weight on the truck the install was done maintaining the 1 -1/2" gap from the overload to its bumper thus not effecting the everyday "unloaded" ride of the truck....Install and forget it !

Me, I'm in Michigan and it gets cold here... I've had my Firestone bags (with remote compressor) on my truck for over 15 years and I have never replaced a bag or had compressor issues. The 'trick' to longevity in air bags is maintaining a minimal amount of air at all times, which my compressor does. It maintains 10 PSI at all times.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:20 PM