Colorado_Kid
post Aug 6 2016, 01:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,053
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: None
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: Have none yet but will be buying one within the next year.

I want to buy a truck camper and looking to purchase a one ton pickup truck within the next year. My question is which do you think is better to carry a truck camper a dual wheel pickup truck or airbags.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Aug 6 2016, 01:55 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

4 Wheel drive dually. JMO

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
JADE RACING
post Aug 8 2016, 07:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,895
Favorite Truck Camper(s): adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 07 gmc 3500 dually D/A
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift/fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 07GMC3500 dually diesel/auto airbags torklift tiedowns/fastguns 56 gal transferflow tank banks spd brake/tuner;06 adventurer 106DBS 2.5ownan geny awning topper torklift stairs remote bbq rear awning ext trl hitch/basket for sewer tote

I would hope you are going to do your homework and get as much info as to what you are going to need verses what you want, unless you have real deep pockets of money. 1st, size and weight of t/c will tell you what size and load capabilities of truck is needed. That there will give you a reference to a truck with duals or single wheels on the rear. If the truck can't carry the weight of the t/c and extras the are required then no addition of air bags is going to help. I run air bags to level out my ride height while loaded, and decrease the pressure when the t/c is unloaded.Yes I run a 1 ton dually which allows me to carry our t/c comfortably. your question does not have solid merit to give answers, just my take.
+Quote Post
Colorado_Kid
post Aug 9 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,053
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: None
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: Have none yet but will be buying one within the next year.

I am looking at a Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic Special Edition which has a dry weight of 2625 lbs and is 98" wide and 198" long. I am sure I will change my mind a couple of times before actually purchasing a truck camper but I really don't want the dry weight to go over 3000 lbs.

I do not have deep pockets but when I purchase a pickup truck I will make sure I ask around and do my research.
+Quote Post
Jonbakerwa
post Sep 12 2016, 10:37 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,171
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northern Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 3500 DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Ram Laramie 3500 DRW: cummins HO 6.7L with Aisin 6 speed auto, auto level rear air suspension, 3.73 rear axle, super hitch 15k, super truss 2017 Northern Lite 10-2 ex cdse loaded 2008 North River Seahawk 150hp Yamaha, 8hp Yamaha kicker, minn kota riptide 80lb

QUOTE(Colorado_Kid @ Aug 9 2016, 08:37 PM)
I am looking at a Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic Special Edition which has a dry weight of 2625 lbs and is 98" wide and 198" long. I am sure I will change my mind a couple of times before actually purchasing a truck camper but I really don't want the dry weight to go over 3000 lbs.

I do not have deep pockets but when I purchase a pickup truck I will make sure I ask around and do my research.

My wife and I just purchased a 10-2 ex cdse dry weight 3295. I was planning on getting the 9-6 qcse but my wife decided we needed the extra head room and storage. We have hauled it on our 2010 ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Srw with air bags a few times and have decided to upgrade to a dually. Power was never an issue... but I really disliked the swaying and kept having visions of us in the ditch if we blew a tire! Plus I plan to pull a 21' aluminum boat, which weighs 5000 lbs on the trailer roughly 500 lb toungue weight on a 36" super truss extension. I would go with the dually, then when you put way too much junk on your camper or want to pull something you won't feel overloaded and have to upgrade a truck like me! Of course if you are a minimalist and don't buy a loaded truck and don't plan on pulling a heavy load I'm sure you could get away with Srw.
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Sep 19 2016, 11:03 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

IMO truck campers are far better when they ride on 1 ton trucks with dual rear tires. Payload, stability, and safety are just a few of the advantages. Before you buy pay very close attention to the payload numbers listed in the drivers door jamb, look at the trucks on dealer lots and understand what those numbers mean. Understand that diesel motors, 4x4 options and crew cab models will dramatically reduce your GVWR. I would pick the camper you want and then go buy the dually and outfit it the way you like. Buying more truck than you may need now will save you money later if you decide to upgrade to a bigger camper. Let me just add one observation, being a commercial driver I know how much nicer it feels to have a bigger more powerful tractor while towing. I would wait on the after market stuff until after you see how your rig handles, if you buy a new truck you may not need anything added. The best advise I can give you is to take your time and really learn all about weights, payload and towing, the more you understand this stuff the better decision you will make. Forums like this one will teach you everything you need to know, happy reading.
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Sep 20 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

Freespool, One mistake in your post above.
You said " Understand that diesel motors, 4x4 options and crew cab models will dramatically reduce your GVWR."
What the addition of these options do is reduce your payload.
For example, all F-350's DRW's have the same GVWR, whether regular cab, super cab or crew cab.
Even trim levels with the same cab can raise or lower your payload by more 500lbs.
My Crew cab, 6.7, 4X4 Lariat model has a payload of 4800lbs. The XL trim level in the same configuration, has a payload of 5450lbs.Delete the Diesel and 4X4 and the XL has a payload of just under 6000lbs.All have the same GVWR.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Sep 20 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Thanks skyhammer for your observation. We all know or should that the GVWR does not change, only the payload. I must of been in a hurry to have worded that sentence that way. You know what they say "haste makes waste". Oh, now I remember, I had just gotten my new truck all set up and was probably still a little dazed buy how much the cost was.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:32 AM