IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Empty Water tank?, Leave it in between trips?

pezzo
post Jul 28 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,601
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Six Pack
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy Silverado 1500
Type of Tiedowns used: generic
Truck and Camper Setup: Old six pack cab over (1988) on a Chevy Silverado 1500.

I flushed the water tank with water and bleach and flushed it out again. I put water in fort this last trip. Question is...If I am going to go camping again in a week or so, should I drain the water and put fresh on or leave what was left over and top it off?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Jul 28 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

I always drian my fresh water tank at the end of a trip and refill it just before heading out on the next trip. That keeps it from getting that musty smell and taste. Once a season I use some fresh tank or bleach to kill off all the critters living in there and then give it a good flush or two.
+Quote Post
pezzo
post Jul 28 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(aqualung @ Jul 28 2010, 12:23 PM)
I always drian my fresh water tank at the end of a trip and refill it just before heading out on the next trip. That keeps it from getting that musty smell and taste. Once a season I use some fresh tank or bleach to kill off all the critters living in there and then give it a good flush or two.

Thanks for the advice. I went out and drained it so I am good to go fir the next camping trip. smile.gif
+Quote Post
KY_Campers
post Jul 28 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,413
Favorite Truck Camper(s): .....
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: ......
Type of Tiedowns used: .......
Truck and Camper Setup: .........

I may do it different than most people. tongue.gif

When I leave home to go camping (leaving Monday) I never fill up my tank.... I wait until I get to the campground and fill my tank up.

The day that we decide to leave and come home.. If I have any water left in the tank, I empty it at the campground.

Once or twice a season (from March to the end of October) I flush out my tank and use a little bleach.

--------------------
. . . .
+Quote Post
mh45472
post Jul 29 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,941
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Elkhorn 8R
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC Sierra 2500 HD SRW 4 x 4 Ext. Cab Short box
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: GMC 2500 HD, Air bags, Happijacs, custom hitch box extension, Fleetwood Elkhorn 8R, pretty much loaded

I do the same as KY. Why fill up at home and have to haul that extra weight? I do leave a gallon or two in the tank to use when cleaning up the camper back at the house. I do the bleach thing in spring. If you do drain, don't forget to drain the water heater too.
+Quote Post
pezzo
post Jul 30 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(mh45472 @ Jul 29 2010, 07:05 AM)
I do the same as KY. Why fill up at home and have to haul that extra weight? I do leave a gallon or two in the tank to use when cleaning up the camper back at the house. I do the bleach thing in spring. If you do drain, don't forget to drain the water heater too.

This is my "starter" camper I am just glad to have running water, no water heater yet! smile.gif smile.gif
+Quote Post
Phil Saran
post Sep 23 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,785
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northland Industries
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350 diesel 4X4 4dr
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: ford F350, air bags, torklift tiedowns, Torklift super hitch Northland 9'-11" fully loaded

I understand the not wanting to haul the extra weight of the water
from home, but not all of us go camping where they have running
water in the camp area.

--------------------
Phil Saran
2004 Ford F350 diesel 4x4
2001 Northland 9'-11"
SOCAL
+Quote Post
drc5900
post Feb 8 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,241
Favorite Truck Camper(s): The one I have of course: Jayco!
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9L 12v Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually Extended Cab, Billeted Goerend AT Tranny w/triple disk TC & manual lockup.
Type of Tiedowns used: The ones it came with: homemade.
Truck and Camper Setup: Truck as above. Camper: 1993 Jayco Jay Hunter 950 fully equiped, approx. 3000Lbs loaded. Homemade tiedowns. 5000Lbs Mopar receiver hitch. Homemade 3' extended hitch. Homemade Jackadapters for dually: 1/4"SS 6"x6"x6" square tube. "Donut" between reartruck- and camper slider window. No Airbags: the camper nicely smoothed out the hard suspension :-) . Hott-Rod electric heater added to propane waterheater.

I do it different yet...:
If there is no risk it would freeze, I keep my watertank filled.
I prefer drycamping, and that way I'm always ready (my camper rides in the bed most time of the year). Also, that way I have water in case of a city water supply issue, or in case of an emergeny.
I have citywater, which has a bit of bleach in it, I trust that more to keep my watertank bugfree & moldfree versus it sitting empty, esp in warm weather. If I'have my own well I'd add some bleach for preservation but keep it drinkable: some sources say 8 to 10 drops per gallon, FEMA suggests 16 drops per gallon.
+Quote Post
drc5900
post Feb 8 2011, 11:04 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,241
Favorite Truck Camper(s): The one I have of course: Jayco!
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9L 12v Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually Extended Cab, Billeted Goerend AT Tranny w/triple disk TC & manual lockup.
Type of Tiedowns used: The ones it came with: homemade.
Truck and Camper Setup: Truck as above. Camper: 1993 Jayco Jay Hunter 950 fully equiped, approx. 3000Lbs loaded. Homemade tiedowns. 5000Lbs Mopar receiver hitch. Homemade 3' extended hitch. Homemade Jackadapters for dually: 1/4"SS 6"x6"x6" square tube. "Donut" between reartruck- and camper slider window. No Airbags: the camper nicely smoothed out the hard suspension :-) . Hott-Rod electric heater added to propane waterheater.

I do it different yet...:
If there is no risk it would freeze, I keep my watertank filled.
I prefer drycamping, and that way I'm always ready (my camper rides in the bed most time of the year). Also, that way I have water in case of a city water supply issue, or in case of an emergeny.
I have citywater, which has a bit of bleach in it, I trust that more to keep my watertank bugfree & moldfree versus it sitting empty, esp in warm weather. If I'have my own well I'd add some bleach for preservation but keep it drinkable: some sources say 8 to 10 drops per gallon, FEMA suggests 16 drops per gallon.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:07 AM