Group: Members
Member No.: 4,101
Favorite Truck Camper(s): don't have one yet
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2009 Chevrolet 3500 (single wheel) 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: unknown
Truck and Camper Setup: don't have a camper yet

Hi everyone

Hope you folks can help me out.

My dad recently bought an 09 Chevy 3500 (crew cab, single axle, 4x4, 8 foot box)

He wants to buy a camper for it but is having trouble finding one that has the stuff he wants and can be loaded on the truck.

("Stuff" = slides, built in generator, etc)

According to GM and the info on the door of the truck, GVWR - curb weight = about 3,600 lbs left over for cargo (including the camper). (Numbers are approximate, close enough for discussion)

The camper he's found weighs around 5,000 pounds. The people at whatever RV place are telling him this is fine, just install the airbags on the truck (the load leveling kind, not the safety ones, obviously!)

2 questions:

1) Are the people at the RV place right? Will the "airbag solution" work? Or is this just another case of an RV salesman telling a customer what he wants to hear?

2) If the "airbag solution" isn't feasible, does anyone know a model of camper that would fit all the criteria?

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wood2scroll
post Apr 23 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,109
Favorite Truck Camper(s): okanagan
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 Chevy Dually 4x4 King Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: truck has airbags w/class 5 hitch.

QUOTE(monty burns @ Apr 21 2010, 07:01 AM)
Hi everyone

Hope you folks can help me out.

My dad recently bought an 09 Chevy 3500 (crew cab, single axle, 4x4, 8 foot box)

He wants to buy a camper for it but is having trouble finding one that has the stuff he wants and can be loaded on the truck.

("Stuff" = slides, built in generator, etc)

According to GM and the info on the door of the truck, GVWR - curb weight = about 3,600 lbs left over for cargo (including the camper). (Numbers are approximate, close enough for discussion)

The camper he's found weighs around 5,000 pounds. The people at whatever RV place are telling him this is fine, just install the airbags on the truck (the load leveling kind, not the safety ones, obviously!)

2 questions:

1) Are the people at the RV place right? Will the "airbag solution" work? Or is this just another case of an RV salesman telling a customer what he wants to hear?

2) If the "airbag solution" isn't feasible, does anyone know a model of camper that would fit all the criteria?

Thanks!

ohmy.gif We have a Chevy 3500 but it is a dually. We put airbags on which gives you an extra 500-600 lbs of cargo weight but no where near what the dealer is telling you. For a camper with slides it is always recommended to have a dually. our camper with 2 slides has a dry weight of 3600 lbs and you know it is there when it is at the max wet weight. i would be very leary of putting it on a single axle truck.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:10 AM