post Jan 22 2014, 04:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,307
Favorite Truck Camper(s): adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: chevy 2500 HD
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: Adventurer 104DSS

I am the proud new owner of a Adventurer 104 DSS. I have been looking for such a long time and came across this camper online. The old man selling it was giving me such an awesome deal I bought it knowing good and well it was to big for my Chevy 2500HD 6'6" bed. I carefully hauled it home on my truck and it has been sitting for a few months now waiting on me to buy a truck capable of carrying it.

I have been shopping around for trucks and the more I read the more confused I get. My chevy has a high GVWR of 9200 lbs however the bed is to short for this long a camper. Also if you look at the other sticker on the truck it says with stock tires its rated at 3000 lbs gear and persons in the truck. Furthermore there is a "truck camper sticker" in the glove box that says dont get a truck camper over 2400LBS.

I guess basically what I am getting at is what does the law consider if your pulled over. Am I good as long as I am not over GVWR. or do they go by the sticker in the glove box (that the fords dont seem to have)

I want a truck that can handle the camper and tow a light trailer with it. My original plan was to buy an older dually longbed and outfit it with airbags however the GVWR on the older dually's is less than my truck.

The wet weight with options is 3664 LBS. If you experienced guys can help I would appreciate it. I just dont want to get an undersized/overweight rig.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dubob
post Jan 23 2014, 09:46 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,605
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2011 Lance 992
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, Ext Cab, 6.0L
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac w/ Qwik-Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: TC pulled behind the truck on a gooseneck trailer

QUOTE(troyboy54 @ Jan 22 2014, 03:22 PM)
The wet weight with options is 3664 LBS. If you experienced guys can help I would appreciate it. I just dont want to get an undersized/overweight rig.
The basic rule of thumb for weight estimation is to add 1,000 pounds to your TC weight to cover all the gear, passengers, pets, etc. that you will likely encounter when going camping. So basically, you will need a truck with a 4,600 lb. payload rating to have a chance at being 'technically' legal weight wise. Having said that, you will find that the majority of TC owners are exceeding one or more of the factory set GAWR, GVWR, GCWR, or payload figures. Adding accessories such as bags, bars, shocks, etc., WILL NOT increase any of those factory ratings but may improve handling and comfort.

I would never carry that camper on anything but a dually, but that's just me. Other owners are very comfortable with that much weight on a SRW truck. The latest crop of trucks have payloads up to 7,400 lbs., but I'm not sure how many years back you can go for a used truck to find one that will have a 4,600 lb. or higher payload.

--------------------
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 75 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." - Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." = Dr. Seuss

user posted image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:16 PM