Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,671
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy 2500HD Ext. Cab full bed
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: Note yet

Hellow from Texas!
Well, first I've started RViing by purchasing 28" Work & Play TT. BTW it is for sale if you know someone interested in good quality huge Toy Hauler. I've realized that was an overkill for my needs. It is huge and takes too much space on my driveway! that is not only problem with TT's -much more & you all know about them. At the same time I have to trade my Honda Pilot to tow that monster TT. So I got brand-new 2013 Chevy 2500HD ext cab full bed, which is good, but I realized TC is the way to go. As soon as I sell Work&Play I'm getting TC. Most likely I'll get used 1-6 y.o.
What I need some input on setting up it right. What I mean, I don't want to do unnecessary installations, since I??¢â??¬â??¢m new to TCring. I've research it but still not sure 100%. I know I need camper tie downs, but considering I could be using trailer does I need to get a special hitch for it first? could I use OEM hitch to insert rear tied owns in OEM hitch? (looks like OEM hitch has place to install them.
Anyway! Anyone who already did it for the truck like I have could share, so I would go around the bush...
Most likely I'm planning to get Lance 850, that what I found fits better for 8 ft bed. I wish I can get the lightest TC available for the money so I can keep TC most of the time on my truck, since most of my commute to work I do on motorcycle. Don't care about slides. More weight and it??¢â??¬â??¢s not handy to use TC without slide to go out.
please share what type of tied owns you got for 2013 Chevy 2500HD ext cab full bed truck? would they work for most TC? do I need rear tied owns or bumper buttons better? if the camper under 3000lb do I need to get air bags or my OEM would work good enough? (BTW my truck has 5 leafs springs, when most short bed have four) and my guess sway bar would be a good idea, but I can do it later...
Thanks
Lone Star
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aqualung
post May 21 2013, 07:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

Hi Lonestar

You want frame mounted tie downs, they are the best way to hold your TC in place. Have a look at Torklift they have kits that bolt directly to your frame without drilling. If you're handy with a welder then you can likely make up a set on your own.

http://www.torklift.com/w.php?w_page=tie_downs

Using bumper buttons and box mounted tie down systems gives you a weaker mounting point. On a rough road you can bend your bumper or your truck box since the steel is too thin. Frame mounted tie downs are made with heavy gauge steel like your truck frame is.

You'll need turnbuckles with your tie downs. Its best to use spring loaded turnbuckles on the front and straight turnbuckles on the rear. This allows the camper to move as needed but doesn't allow it to rock forward onto your truck cab. Many use spring loaded front and back which is fine, just make sure you have room between the camper and truck cab to allow for the movement.

Another good thing to have is a rubber bed mat. Plastic bedliners are bad news for campers, they are very slippery and they allow the camper to bounce. A rubber bed mat stops the camper from sliding around. I have a spray on bedliner which is great but is also slippery so I added the rubber bed mat - works great.
+Quote Post
lonestar007
post Jun 23 2013, 03:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,671
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy 2500HD Ext. Cab full bed
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: Note yet

QUOTE(aqualung @ May 21 2013, 07:45 AM)
Hi Lonestar

You want frame mounted tie downs, they are the best way to hold your TC in place. Have a look at Torklift they have kits that bolt directly to your frame without drilling. If you're handy with a welder then you can likely make up a set on your own.

http://www.torklift.com/w.php?w_page=tie_downs

Using bumper buttons and box mounted tie down systems gives you a weaker mounting point. On a rough road you can bend your bumper or your truck box since the steel is too thin. Frame mounted tie downs are made with heavy gauge steel like your truck frame is.

You'll need turnbuckles with your tie downs. Its best to use spring loaded turnbuckles on the front and straight turnbuckles on the rear. This allows the camper to move as needed but doesn't allow it to rock forward onto your truck cab. Many use spring loaded front and back which is fine, just make sure you have room between the camper and truck cab to allow for the movement.

Another good thing to have is a rubber bed mat. Plastic bedliners are bad news for campers, they are very slippery and they allow the camper to bounce. A rubber bed mat stops the camper from sliding around. I have a spray on bedliner which is great but is also slippery so I added the rubber bed mat - works great.

Hi aqualung,
Thanks for your feedback. I'm still with TT, didn't sell it yet. I did spray bed on my Chevy and will do rest of the stuff as soon as I do the "trade". My guess I would go with a fastgun tiedowns. I've read somewhere on forum - sometimes tiedowns could block access to a gas cap.
Thanks again
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:20 AM