Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,323
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Unknown
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: planning to buy one
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: None

Hello!

I am just getting into Truck campers. I have been researching all types of RVs and I feel that Truck campers are a superior way to camp. But I am puzzled about a few things.

My understanding is that there is an umbilical cord between the truck and the camper to charge the camper batteries. How is this connected to the truck's alternator? Do you need to upgrade the alternator to a heavy duty unit to be able handle the extra load? As to the location of the camper batteries, I was thinking of putting them in the truck bed to cut down on the length of the charging cables. What is your experience with this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Jul 8 2015, 07:01 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

What kind of plug do you have on your truck, 7way, 5way or other. Normally you can turn on your key, nothing else just turn the key to on and check your plug with a test light, you should have one prong in your plug that will be hot. That is your "charge" line. That is the wire you want to connect to your camper to charge battery. As far as where to place your batteries, I would think you could put them pretty much wherever you want. I used to have an extra battery on mine and that is where I had it.

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
TJN
post Jul 13 2015, 03:04 PM
Post #3

I don't have a truck right now. I was trying to understand how these things get wired up. Is there a kit you buy to connect the battery in your truck to the battery(s) in your camper? When you mention a 5 prong or 7 prong plug, are you talking about the connection to the tail lights on the camper?

Also, I am wondering how big an alternator do you need to support these extra batteries?

Thanks in advance!
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Jul 13 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

If your truck has a hitch then it has a plug to hook up you trailer lights, that is where you would plug in your camper. You will have to determin which truck you are gonna purchase before you will know what sort of adapter you will need. The stock alt on the truck should be all that is required to charge your batteries both truck and camper.

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
TJN
post Jul 15 2015, 10:38 AM
Post #5

Thanks for the advice! I will keep it mind when I start looking for my truck.
+Quote Post
weijing3333
post Aug 5 2015, 02:07 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,347
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Dually
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 Dually 4x4 Ford Crew Cab
Truck and Camper Setup: F-350: Air Bags

You can ask to the customer service of Renesola for help. They are more professional.
+Quote Post
Joemcg
post Aug 10 2015, 10:29 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,397
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350 drw crew cab (1991)
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: F350, happijacs, air bags, Rancho shocks, Reese tow beast class V

QUOTE(Spanky @ Jul 13 2015, 03:39 PM)
If your truck has a hitch then it has a plug to hook up you trailer lights, that is where you would plug in your camper. You will have to determin which truck you are gonna purchase before you will know what sort of adapter you will need. The stock alt on the truck should be all that is required to charge your batteries both truck and camper.

That ain't necessarily so! Depends on the camper. Many Lance campers are equipped with 3-way reefers. When they are run on DC (batteries) they will draw about 35 amps. The charge wire on the typical 7 way trailer plug cannot support that typ of current. That's the reason why Lance specifies their own connector that will accept an 8ga charge wire.

In my truck I am using a more common, but still sort of unusual Pollak 9 way connector. The previous owner had that installed to power a 5th wheel. It also uses an 8ga charge wire.

Another precaution which is noted in the Lance manual is that the fridge should only be on DC when connected to the truck and when the truck is running. Otherwise it will drain the batteries in a heartbeat. It's meant for when you are tooling down the road and want a cool beverage.

--------------------
1995 Lance 880
1991 F350 CC Dually
Also Pacific Coachworks 276RBS TT
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:33 PM