ttrain
post Jul 20 2017, 12:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,649
Favorite Truck Camper(s): unknown
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 98 Chevy 3500 single axle
Type of Tiedowns used: custom
Truck and Camper Setup: 98 Chevy 3500 single axle, unknown camper, custom tie down

Hello All,

I was hoping to get some help here determining the year, make and model of a truck camper I have purchased. I have looked in all the appropriate places plus the remainder of the exposed surfaces in the camper trying to find identification with no luck. Prior to my purchase, there were a series of repairs and modifications made that I believe have removed the ID tags. Any help in narrowing it down would be appreciated.

I have attached pictures and if you need more information I will do my best.

Thank You!

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chief 2
post Jul 21 2017, 06:35 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,469
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Chevrolet 3500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac with Quick Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 Edge Attitude, 4" exhaust, Airaid Air Intake, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig, Cabover struts. Lance 1172 loaded with 200 watt Renogy solar and Zamp controller

Have you checked for stickers inside cabinet doors?
+Quote Post
ttrain
post Jul 21 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #3

Truck and Camper Setup: 98 Chevy 3500 single axle, unknown camper, custom tie down

QUOTE(Chief 2 @ Jul 21 2017, 06:35 AM)
Have you checked for stickers inside cabinet doors?

I have but the cabinets, or at least some of them, don't look original. There is a faded sticker residue on the exterior of the camper that looks like it said "LTD International, Bronson, MI" but I haven't had luck with internet searches for that.
+Quote Post
DWJoyce
post Jul 22 2017, 03:19 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,537
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '66 Chevy K10
Type of Tiedowns used: Don't know
Truck and Camper Setup: 8' cabover with helper strings on the rear of the truck. In the process of rebuilding an old camper with rotten floors and a leaking roof. Will add a toilet and shower and replace the icebox with a refrigerator.

QUOTE(ttrain @ Jul 21 2017, 01:18 PM)
I have but the cabinets, or at least some of them, don't look original.  There is a faded sticker residue on the exterior of the camper that looks like it said "LTD International, Bronson, MI" but I haven't had luck with internet searches for that.

Mine had nothing missing, so I got lucky and found the manufacturer on the CA business records. About all I could tell from that was they made campers from 1964 until 1980.Attached Image
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Jul 22 2017, 03:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

That cabin over bunk is way too close to the cab roof.
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Jul 23 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

Don't think I', gonna be of much help to you identifying your vintage camper. The very short cabover section should be a clue if you can solve it. Perhaps an 'elite' of some kind (sorry, have no idea of the parent company, perhaps Black Hawk??) I think I remember in the not too distant past seeing an older camper near identical to yours, only maybe with a single dinette window instead of a double? I think you have a vintage truck camper, the furnace exhaust was obsolete several years ago, & the jalousy type window in the door hasn't been seen for a while. I have a set of 3 camper jacks nearly like those that came off my B-I-L's old truck camper & it was build in the 1960s. I think that the camper I saw was on an older Jeep Pioneer truck??
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Jul 23 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #7

Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Jul 22 2017, 03:46 PM)
That cabin over bunk is way too close to the cab roof.

Flip, I assume, yeah, (I know what that makes u & me tongue.gif ), that your reply was in response to DWJoyce's post. If that is the case, I agree completely. It appears that the bottom of the 'cabover' portion has 'sagged' considerably. You can see the original bottom line at the front of the cabover portion at the front. That will need to be rebuilt/corrected before (or at the same time) as the floor & any other part of the camper that needs rebuilding. Several years ago I 'rebuilt' an 8' Huntsman truck camper (built in Broken Arrow, OK) that had a rotten cabover section. Had to peel the aluminum skin & lay it back over the top. Install a new bedboard, & rebuild the entire side framework before installing new paneling, insullation, & reinstalling the skin. Also had to construct a new roof fridge vent in/on a 9 1/2' Sunways camper by Venture Via. I actually think that was a harder job than rebuilding the cabover of the Huntsman. It involved cutting & fitting new western red cedar framwork to hold a new vent cover. Didn't think my hands were going to fit in that small space.
+Quote Post
DWJoyce
post Jul 23 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #8

Truck and Camper Setup: 8' cabover with helper strings on the rear of the truck. In the process of rebuilding an old camper with rotten floors and a leaking roof. Will add a toilet and shower and replace the icebox with a refrigerator.

deleted
+Quote Post
DWJoyce
post Jul 23 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Nobody @ Jul 23 2017, 05:25 PM)
... I agree completely. It appears that the bottom of the 'cabover' portion has 'sagged' considerably...

Yep, take a look...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Jul 23 2017, 10:02 PM
Post #10

Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Not something I want to do at all. Just not into restoring a camper. I buy 'em new and keep them a long time but I'm also very careful about keeping them sealed up.

Sold my 2001 Lance to the neighbor and it was still tight and dry.

If I had one like that, I'd strip out all the useable parts and landfill the rest or have a wiener roast out back.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Jul 23 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #11

I guess someone has to buy the used ones so the rest of us can buy new ones that turn into used ones.....
+Quote Post
ttrain
post Jul 24 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Nobody @ Jul 23 2017, 04:42 PM)
Don't think I', gonna be of much help to you identifying your vintage camper. The very short cabover section should be a clue if you can solve it. Perhaps an 'elite' of some kind (sorry, have no idea of the parent company, perhaps Black Hawk??) I think I remember in the not too distant past seeing an older camper near identical to yours, only maybe with a single dinette window instead of a double? I think you have a vintage truck camper, the furnace exhaust was obsolete several years ago, & the jalousy type window in the door hasn't been seen for a while. I have a set of 3 camper jacks nearly like those that came off my B-I-L's old truck camper & it was build in the 1960s. I think that the camper I saw was on an older Jeep Pioneer truck??

Thank you for the input. I will take a look on the web under elite and black hawk names to see if I have any luck. The wall and ceiling framing is all aluminum if that helps.

I still have the furnace but the previous owner had removed it to put in an additional freshwater tank. I plan to eventually remove the furnace vent and install and outdoor shower there.I bought this for my son I for riding trips. The outdoor shower will be nice for washing off trail dust. smile.gif
+Quote Post
ttrain
post Jul 24 2017, 02:03 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(DWJoyce @ Jul 22 2017, 03:19 PM)
Mine had nothing missing, so I got lucky and found the manufacturer on the CA business records. About all I could tell from that was they made campers from 1964 until 1980.Attached Image

Thanks for the response. I would be happy to find out the manufacture as well...its just curiosity but I would like to know. smile.gif
+Quote Post
DWJoyce
post Jul 25 2017, 09:53 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Jul 23 2017, 10:02 PM)
Not something I want to do at all.  Just not into restoring a camper.  I buy 'em new and keep them a long time but I'm also very careful about keeping them sealed up.

Sold my 2001 Lance to the neighbor and it was still tight and dry.

If I had one like that, I'd strip out all the useable parts and landfill the rest or have a wiener roast out back.

Yeah, no kidding. I considered doing just that. In fact, most of it ended up in the firewood pile. But the timing was right and it was FREE. I've really enjoyed rebuilding it and I'll probably give it to my nephew for his kid's overnight sports tournaments.

Amazingly, from what was left, the bottom of the cabover was just one sheet of 3/4" plywood held up by the sides and the Aluminum siding. No wonder it sagged a bit, heh?

A few more weeks and it will be back together, better than new.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Jul 26 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #15

You are a better man than I am. I'd never have the time or the patience to do a job like that.
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Jul 27 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #16

There was a time, a few (weeell, actually more'n a few) years ago when I was in pretty good physical health, that I actually enjoyed taking a thoroughly deteriorated camper & putting it back into new or better than new condition. I had a fairly well equipped shop & was able to rebuild truck campers to their original 'glory'. Never took any pix & usually had 'em sold before I finished the restoration. Health problems prevents such activity anymore. Matter of fact it's hard to develop a lot of interest in just about any project nowadays. We have a 2001 17' Casita Spirit Delux molded fiberglass travel trailer, a '95 Starcraft 'Pop-up' Meteorite 817 camper trailer, a '99 F250 Supercab Super Duty truck w/7.3 Turbo Diesel that carries a 2003 Sun-Lite Eagle pop-up type truck camper. & of course the teardrop trailer that I built in 2006. None of them have moved out of the backyard for over a year due to health problems. We used to make at least a half dozen trips each year but it's hard to get started anymore. We talk about places we'd like to visit again, & new places we ain't seen but can't seem to work up the necessary ambition. We'd planned to be on BLM land in or near Sand Draw, WY for the solar eclipse next month but that too has fallen by the wayside. Guess we'll observe the partial eclipse from our patio here at home.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Jul 27 2017, 09:53 PM
Post #17

I'm doing a couple trips up north this year and Amy and I are going to Maine next summer for a couple weeks and spend the time exploring Maine with our friends that live there. They have a TC as well.

I have the ambition to go but so much to do around the farm, it's hard to get away. Never had the desire to restore any RV.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:09 AM