IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Only 15000 canadien (10000 €) available, Want to buy a Ford F250, sensful?

Saxophony
post Feb 16 2018, 11:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,963
Favorite Truck Camper(s): timberline 11.5 ft 1999
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ram 2500
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: happijac

Hey Guys,

I got the classical headache now of looking for two weeks and at least three hours every day to get all the informations which are required to make a good decision in buying the right truck and camper that fits to it.

With my amount of money, my choices go very low now.. I know what kind of trucks are having which payload and I also know a lot about all other numbers.

My problem now is: Do I really have to buy a big truck like a Ford 350 to have a good choice on used campers that I can actually safely carry? Or am I fine getting a F 250 which is lower a fuel and less costly and still can get a big choice of campers that fit my truck?

Iīm here in Canada around Calgary and want to travel with my girlfriend in summertime. I donīt need slide outs or any special features, but I also donīt want a pop up. Just a regular size camper which fits a 8 foot bed without any big luxury..

Thx for your help.

Max
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wintertree
post Feb 17 2018, 04:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,949
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Snowbird 108DS
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 F-450..upgraded overload springs...Torklift tie downs...single slide Hard wall camper with dry bath...solar...inverter...genset..full thermal package...extra black and grey tankage...kayak and paddle board

pretty tight budget....to get totally set-up....one advantage you have is here in canada (I'm from Edmonton)....you may be able to find an older camper that has been used very little....like so many RV's here....however our winters can damage rv's easily....sitting around...uncovered...

Obviously most of your budget needs to be spent on the truck...as well kept as you can find. Payload on most 3/4 tons is quite low. A camper suitable with what ever is left in your budget really needs to be scrutinized before purchase to make sure its "healthy"...water intrusion is all to common....and serious things like mold and rot is often found on older RV's..

I am not all negative....I'm sure there "cherry' older rigs out there that because of their age they are not worth much and have been cared for...finding one is the challenge...maybe sitting inside a shed at a farm....not been used for years....but under cover...make sure you check for mice....and make sure the fridge operates...your most expensive appliance by far...

Good luck on your search and keep an eye on your weights...
+Quote Post
Chief 2
post Feb 17 2018, 06:12 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,469
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Chevrolet 3500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac with Quick Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 Edge Attitude, 4" exhaust, Airaid Air Intake, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig, Cabover struts. Lance 1172 loaded with 200 watt Renogy solar and Zamp controller

It's all about the camper weight. You will be limited by your truck size /-weight carrying capacity. If you go with the 1 ton then you have more choices of campers.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Feb 17 2018, 06:48 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(Chief 2 @ Feb 17 2018, 07:12 AM)
It's all about the  camper weight. You will be limited by your truck size /-weight carrying capacity. If you go with the 1 ton then you have more choices of campers.

Totally agree. With a 3/4 ton you find yourself asking " can my truck handle that weight", provided you are concerned about staying within the manufacturer's ratings.
+Quote Post
Saxophony
post Feb 18 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Thanks for all your useful answers so far!

Still, Iīm wondering, all the discussions and advices from you, the magazins, the ford dealerships, like everything which is kind of "official" say, better go with the one ton truck, but why do so many (I fear almost the majority) carry their campers with the 3/4 ton trucks and even sometimes with the 1/2 ton ons?! And not only campers with a wet weight of 2500 lbs, which can go with most of the 3/4 tons but also some with 3500 lbs and more.

I just canīt stop thinking of the extra 1000 lbs which are advised to calculate to your wet campers weight (people, all your stuff you are carring around with you, additional items on your camper, ..). Because of this I get always to a bigger payload as officially advised to carry with a 3/4 ton truck (except pop ups and very tiny ones).

And I cant stop thinking about my friends words (who is a mechanic and even worked for ford) who said the big diesel trucks cause many problems and need a lot of expansive maintenance. Almost 95 % of Ford F350 are Diesel. He advices me to get a Gasoline one. So I have to take a F250 than..

I still donīt know what to do..
+Quote Post
wintertree
post Feb 18 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,949
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Snowbird 108DS
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 F-450..upgraded overload springs...Torklift tie downs...single slide Hard wall camper with dry bath...solar...inverter...genset..full thermal package...extra black and grey tankage...kayak and paddle board

Purchasing a diesel truck as you say.with you small budget...may not be a good idea.....yes repairs can take you to the poor house if needed....at the very least get it to a shop and have them go over it to give you a fair indication of its condition and life left..A gas engine will save you some weight..(allowing for more camper)....a gas truck should be cheaper....allowing for more $$ for the camper...There is plenty of gas one ton's out there (SRW)....do your very best to purchase the HEAVIEST truck you can afford....A year from now you will be so happy to have the extra capacity.

Posters on this forum are correct for the most part about anticipating another 700-1000lbs into your calculations....

Example....I run a new Ford F-450 (DRW) 14,000#GVW....dry weight of my camper is #3500 lbs....I am just under legal limit

The big diesel engine...4x4....and other options add up...
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Feb 19 2018, 03:54 AM
Post #7

Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(Saxophony @ Feb 18 2018, 09:54 PM)
Thanks for all your useful answers so far!

Still, Iīm wondering, all the discussions and advices from you, the magazins, the ford dealerships, like everything which is kind of "official" say, better go with the one ton truck, but why do so many (I fear almost the majority) carry their campers with the 3/4 ton trucks and even sometimes with the 1/2 ton ons?! And not only campers with a wet weight of 2500 lbs, which can go with most of the 3/4 tons but also some with 3500 lbs and more.

I just canīt stop thinking of the extra 1000 lbs which are advised to calculate to your wet campers weight (people, all your stuff you are carring around with you, additional items on your camper, ..). Because of this I get always to a bigger payload as officially advised to carry with a 3/4 ton truck (except pop ups and very tiny ones).

And I cant stop thinking about my friends words (who is a mechanic and even worked for ford) who said the big diesel trucks cause many problems and need a lot of expansive maintenance. Almost 95 % of Ford F350 are Diesel. He advices me to get a Gasoline one. So I have to take a F250 than..

I still donīt know what to do..

You are confusing me. You can surely run a one ton gasser in an F350. My wife and I do, as do many others. Yes, it shifts down more often on steep grades than a diesel and there are arguments for and against either power train, but you can go gas or diesel in a one ton. When loaded and on the road for the summer, we are running at the full manufacturer's rating on the rear axle with no problems. Our last one ton was a diesel so we have had experience both ways.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 19 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(RV_Tech @ Feb 19 2018, 03:54 AM)
You are confusing me. You can surely run a one ton gasser in an F350. My wife and I do, as do many others. Yes, it shifts down more often on steep grades than a diesel and there are arguments for and against either power train, but you can go gas or diesel in a one ton. When loaded and on the road for the summer, we are running at the full manufacturer's rating on the rear axle with no problems. Our last one ton was a diesel so we have had experience both ways.

Must be that cat of yours that adds the extra weight...... biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 19 2018, 08:46 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

I have to agree with RVT. You can get a gas motor in a one ton SRW or a dually or a diesel, your choice. Ford, Chevy and Fiat Chrysler builds them everyday.

The only thing about a diesel is, you need to plan on keeping it a long time to realize the cost of investment in the engine. Diesels are appreciably more expensive than the gas motors and heavier too so your payload weight drops. Same applies to 4 wheel drive. A diesel powered 4x4 truck will have a much lower payload rating than a comparable 2wd gas truck.
+Quote Post
Saxophony
post Mar 1 2018, 04:22 PM
Post #10

Okay thanks guys,

I think I made a pretty good deal now. Got a dodge power ram 2500 from 2003,
Quad cab, 4 wd, lond box, manual transmission.
I think my payload now is 2580 lbs, if I can read the chart correctly..
So every camper which is up to 1600 lbs wet should be totally fine, right?

I got the car for a really good price, so there is even some money left to upgrade a little
bit, which means Iīd like to add another 500 lbs on payload to it by buying an
extra leaf spring or something like that.

Any recommandations? How much you think I must spend to get those extra 500 lbs?

Greets,

Max
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Mar 1 2018, 05:46 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Saxophony @ Mar 1 2018, 05:22 PM)
Okay thanks guys,

I think I made a pretty good deal now. Got a dodge power ram 2500 from 2003,
Quad cab, 4 wd, lond box, manual transmission.
I think my payload now is 2580 lbs, if I can read the chart correctly..
So every camper which is up to 1600 lbs wet should be totally fine, right?

I got the car for a really good price, so there is even some money left to upgrade a little
bit, which means Iīd like to add another 500 lbs on payload to it by buying an
extra leaf spring or something like that.

Any recommandations? How much you think I must spend to get those extra 500 lbs?

Greets,

Max

Max,

You should be good to campers to 1,600 and maybe a couple hundred pounds more depending on how you pack. For example carrying less water until you know you will need it.

Remember that what the label on your truck says is the rating for your truck no matter what you do. On some trucks going up a wheel sizes gives a good deal more capability tire and wheelwise.

I just put Sumo bump stops replacing the stock stops on my truck to reduce sway and squat. They are simple to install and just $200. There are lots of add-ons out there and others may have ideas to share.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:36 AM