CAJones
post Feb 21 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,745
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350 SRW, FX4, 6.4L Diesel, Ext Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 F350, 2015 Arctic Fox 990. I use torklifts on the front and bumper buttons on the rear, Firestone brand manually inflated airbags, and a rubber mat between the truck bed and camper.

I currently own a 2008 F350, 4WD, SRW, 6.4L Diesel and Haul a 2015 Arctic Fox 990. I'm an over-the-road truck driver. I spend a month on the road, then come home to my truck/camper for about five days. I only put about 3000 miles on the odometer per year. Other than considering switching from Ford, I'm also wanting to make other equipment changes with my purchase.

I want to go from SRW to DRW because I weigh in at 12,500 lbs (1,100 over 11,400 rated limit). And that was with all three camper tanks empty and no gear. I'm considering buying a 2WD because I never go offroading and I don't see enough snow to ever use 4WD. I'm also considering switching from diesel power to either the 5.7 Hemi, 6.4 Hemi, 6.2 Ford, or 6.0 Vortec. Considering the $8000+ added cost of a diesel engine, the added cost of maintenance, the troublesome exhaust regeneration systems, my low miles, and the fact that I won't be pulling a heavy trailer anytime soon; a gas engine seems to make more sense to me. I'm also intrigued by the auto leveling air ride option that Ram is offering.

Wanting to switch from SRW to DRW is kind of a no-brainer. But I do realize that my desire to go with 2WD and Gas Engine goes against the grain of most opinions.

So I would like to hear from others whether you think Chevy, Ford, or Dodge is the best choice and why. I know there's a lot of rivalry among the big three. I never thought I would ever consider switching away from Ford, but now I am. I still love Fords, but I just don't want to keep buying Fords out of blind loyalty.

Any advice about Make, Gas vs Diesel, 2WD vs 4WD, and Ram's air ride system vs aftermarket suspension air bags. Thank You.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Red Rocker
post Apr 16 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,493
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2013 Ram 3500 dually 4X4 crew cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2013 Ram dually, Cummins with Aisin transmission.

QUOTE(CAJones @ Feb 21 2016, 12:57 PM)
I currently own a 2008 F350, 4WD, SRW, 6.4L Diesel and Haul a 2015 Arctic Fox 990. I'm an over-the-road truck driver. I spend a month on the road, then come home to my truck/camper for about five days. I  only put about 3000 miles on the odometer per year. Other than considering switching from Ford, I'm also wanting to make other equipment changes with my purchase.

I want to go from SRW to DRW because I weigh in at 12,500 lbs (1,100 over 11,400 rated limit). And that was with all three camper tanks empty and no gear. I'm considering buying a 2WD because I never go offroading and I don't see enough snow to ever use 4WD. I'm also considering switching from diesel power to either the 5.7 Hemi, 6.4 Hemi, 6.2 Ford, or 6.0 Vortec. Considering the $8000+ added cost of a diesel engine, the added cost of maintenance, the troublesome exhaust regeneration systems, my low miles, and the fact that I won't be pulling a heavy trailer anytime soon; a gas engine seems to make more sense to me. I'm also intrigued by the auto leveling air ride option that Ram is offering.

Wanting to switch from SRW to DRW is kind of a no-brainer. But I do realize that my desire to go with 2WD and Gas Engine goes against the grain of most opinions.

So I would like to hear from others whether you think Chevy, Ford, or Dodge is the best choice and why. I know there's a lot of rivalry among the big three. I never thought I would ever consider switching away from Ford, but now I am. I still love Fords, but I just don't want to keep buying Fords out of blind loyalty.

Any advice about Make, Gas vs Diesel, 2WD vs 4WD, and Ram's air ride system vs aftermarket suspension air bags. Thank You.

I went from a 97 Dodge dually to a 2013 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins & Aisin transmission. There is a world of difference in how the new truck handles our camper compared to the old one. Mine is just leaf springs, so I can't comment on the air suspension. I love my diesel, but your thoughts on going with a gas engine make sense.
+Quote Post
squish
post Jun 29 2016, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,035
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Bigfoot
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Fjord treefiddy
Type of Tiedowns used: the ones that keep the camper on
Truck and Camper Setup: bigfoot 1500, Fjord Treefiddy 4x4 PS manual trans

I think you are the perfect candidate for a DRW gasser.

As for which brand, they all have their positives and negatives
Go check em all out and see which one gives you the best overall bang for your buck.

Me, I shy away from chevy's because of the ignition switch issue that GM had,
And I'm not crazy about the idea of owning a Fiat truck that was once owned by Benz. neither of those companies install what I would call a lot of faith in their products.

That said I've got friends who have trucks from both companies and they are happy with them.
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Jun 30 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Hello fellow trucker, with your limited use a gas truck makes more sense. The DRW would serve you much better and your thoughts on drive train also make sense, why pay for 4WD if your sure you will not need it. The truck described above will give you the highest payload number so down the road if you decide you want a bigger camper you will already have a truck that is rated for it. I just bought a new GMC and love it so based on that I would go GMC/Chevy. The articles on the gas Dodge motors that read were very unflattering, as for Ford, I always thought they looked great but I never had one that was worth owning. Based on what you need I would dump the the entire rig and buy a truck/trailer combo. This would allow you to own a smaller truck like a Tundra and go all the way to 27' with a slide and triple the space you have now. Truck/Trailer combos give you the most space and comfort for the the smallest cost. The DMV fee's on a trailer are not to bad and every trailer I ever owned was by far the most dependable RV. What ever you choose remember to try to buy units that have the refrigerator on a fixed wall, not on the slide. One last thought after rereading your post, your 8 year old truck is paid for and the tags have dropped way down plus it only has 24K. Your Fox would bring good money that could go towards a new big trailer that you could get for well under 25K, seems to me this would make the most financial sense. Being a fellow truck driver and coming home after 400 miles a day I look forward to a nice big shower, a comfy recliner and a big flat screen, all this and more could be had in a 30' trailer. Do you have this in your 990?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:01 PM