post Apr 6 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,387
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1995 Ford F-350XLT Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: F-350XLT:Airbags, Happijac Tiedowns, 1997 Lance 880

I've been trying to hook my Lance up to my truck in order to run the fridge off of my truck power. I'm having trouble that I can't seem to figure out.
So here's the deal. I bought an Intellitec Battery disconnect relay and have it mounted to the inner fender on my truck. I have an 8ga wire running from the battery through an in-line fuse then to the relay. From there there's a small wire going up to a 5a fuse to a red wire going to a mom on-off-mom on switch. From the "I" and "S" terminals I have black and white wires going to opposite sides then I have a green ground wire opposite of the red on the switch. The red and green wires are on the single posts while the white and black wires are on the ones that cross over. I do not have a wire running back to the plug for the camper yet as I'm trying to get the relay working first. No matter how I hook the switch up I am getting constant power from the relay. It is not disengaging.

What am I doing wrong?

Truck: 1995 Ford F350XLT with 7.3L turbo-diesel, twin batteries, and large alternator.
Relay: https://www.amazon.com/Intellitec-Battery-D...s/dp/B00KPR8QAO

user posted image

Using this diagram A and D are my White and Black wires leading to the "I" and "S" terminals. B and E are the Red hot wire coming from the fuse off of the large batt. terminal and the Green ground wire.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chief 2
post Apr 7 2017, 05:28 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,469
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Chevrolet 3500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac with Quick Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 Edge Attitude, 4" exhaust, Airaid Air Intake, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig, Cabover struts. Lance 1172 loaded with 200 watt Renogy solar and Zamp controller

QUOTE(Dorado @ Apr 6 2017, 09:25 PM)
I've been trying to hook my Lance up to my truck in order to run the fridge off of my truck power. I'm having trouble that I can't seem to figure out.
So here's the deal. I bought an Intellitec Battery disconnect relay and have it mounted to the inner fender on my truck. I have an 8ga wire running from the battery through an in-line fuse then to the relay. From there there's a small wire going up to a 5a fuse to a red wire going to a mom on-off-mom on switch. From the "I" and "S" terminals I have black and white wires going to opposite sides then I have a green ground wire opposite of the red on the switch. The red and green wires are on the single posts while the white and black wires are on the ones that cross over. I do not have a wire running back to the plug for the camper yet as I'm trying to get the relay working first. No matter how I hook the switch up I am getting constant power from the relay. It is not disengaging.

What am I doing wrong?

Truck: 1995 Ford F350XLT with 7.3L turbo-diesel, twin batteries, and large alternator.
Relay: https://www.amazon.com/Intellitec-Battery-D...s/dp/B00KPR8QAO
user posted image

Using this diagram A and D are my White and Black wires leading to the "I" and "S" terminals. B and E are the Red hot wire coming from the fuse off of the large batt. terminal and the Green ground wire.

I can't help you with the relay, but I can tell you that the large majority of the Lance owners on the Lance Owners web site do not use the 12V feature to power their frig because it eats to much power and doesn't cool efficiently. I would stick with the propane and save yourself a lot of wiring grief.
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Apr 7 2017, 09:26 AM
Post #3

Oh, I know all that. Problem lies with my father. We split the bill on the camper. He has the truck, I have the camper. We already share the truck whenever I need it. I have no problem with just running it off of propane. He, however, wants everything as it's supposed to and got gung-ho and started wiring the truck up. He's already installed the relay, and cut a hole in the dash for the switch so stopping now is a bit out of the question for us. We're in with both feet. Besides, you never know when you'll get pulled over by some Barney Fife that'll write you a ticket for running propane while driving.

I think I may have gotten a bad switch. I tested the relay this morning and it works fine and how I expect it to. I'm getting some strange things out of the switch. I'll be getting a new switch today and I'll test that out to see if it's a problem.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Apr 7 2017, 09:54 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

Other than in specified areas such as tunnels, etc. where noted, when did running on propane become illegal? I don't think so.

Steve
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Apr 7 2017, 10:18 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(RV_Tech @ Apr 7 2017, 09:54 AM)
Other than in specified areas such as tunnels, etc. where noted, when did running on propane become illegal? I don't think so.

Steve

It's not. Only tunnels and where specifically stated by signage....and... When refueling at a service station as well.

I can see the concern with gasoline but diesel not so much. Flashpoint is too high.

Of all the energy sources to power an ammonia fridge, 12 volt power has to be the least efficient and should only be considered as an emergency backup. The amperage draw to run the cal rod heater in the boiler is pretty high.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Apr 7 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #6

Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Apr 7 2017, 11:18 AM)
It's not.  Only tunnels and where specifically stated by signage....and...  When refueling at a service station as well.

I can see the concern with gasoline but diesel not so much.  Flashpoint is too high.

Of all the energy sources to power an ammonia fridge, 12 volt power has to be the least efficient and should only be considered as an emergency backup.  The amperage draw to run the cal rod heater in the boiler is pretty high.

Anyone ever heard of anyone getting stopped or ticketed for running a fridge on propane? But I digress, yes DC current is an inefficient way to power an element. Okay while driving, but not so much otherwise. smile.gif

Steve
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Apr 7 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Dorado @ Apr 7 2017, 10:26 AM)
Oh, I know all that. Problem lies with my father. We split the bill on the camper. He has the truck, I have the camper. We already share the truck whenever I need it. I have no problem with just running it off of propane. He, however, wants everything as it's supposed to and got gung-ho and started wiring the truck up. He's already installed the relay, and cut a hole in the dash for the switch so stopping now is a bit out of the question for us. We're in with both feet. Besides, you never know when you'll get pulled over by some Barney Fife that'll write you a ticket for running propane while driving.

I think I may have gotten a bad switch. I tested the relay this morning and it works fine and how I expect it to. I'm getting some strange things out of the switch. I'll be getting a new switch today and I'll test that out to see if it's a problem.

Since you understand how to test the relay, it should be pretty straight forward to see what the switch is doing with a meter at the relay.

Steve
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Apr 7 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #8

It was the switch. I got a new one and installed it. Worked perfectly.

What my plan is, is to plug the camper in and let the fridge get cold a day or two before I leave. That way it only has to maintain. I'll only be using the 12v while driving and I'll be switching to propane or shore power as soon as I get to my destination. I'm not looking to power it all the time just while driving. Honestly this will more than likely only be used to charge electronics or other things in the camper.

My concern about the police is because there's a cop here that hates me and will ticket me for the slightest violation. He's ticketed me for 1 mile over the limit a few times. I think it was because I fooled around with his daughter.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Apr 8 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Dorado @ Apr 7 2017, 01:17 PM)
It was the switch. I got a new one and installed it. Worked perfectly.

What my plan is, is to plug the camper in and let the fridge get cold a day or two before I leave. That way it only has to maintain. I'll only be using the 12v while driving and I'll be switching to propane or shore power as soon as I get to my destination. I'm not looking to power it all the time just while driving. Honestly this will more than likely only be used to charge electronics or other things in the camper.

My concern about the police is because there's a cop here that hates me and will ticket me for the slightest violation. He's ticketed me for 1 mile over the limit a few times. I think it was because I fooled around with his daughter.

Sounds like a plan. smile.gif

Steve
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:05 AM