tom
post Jun 12 2010, 08:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,385
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ulta lite 1200lbs to me is not lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: f150 ford
Type of Tiedowns used: home built to frame
Truck and Camper Setup: looked for something really lite, nothing on the market. Wanted something less than half of the rated weight load for a 1/2 ton truck.Like to be realistic about weight capacities. Built a totally aluminum unit. 8 ft. box, 80 in. wide, 80 in. high. With door, windows and AC and jacks I can still left one end by hand and I'm over 60. I'm guessing at this point unit must be around 200 lbs.

My wife and I have been campers all are lives from back packing to motor homes. We decided to go simple this time but comfortable. My wife wanted to try a truck camper. She not being aware weight issues and we want to use our F150 with extended cab. We wanted a camper with out all the new chemical smells, no mold , no leaks and lite weight. Yea, I know they don't exist and the industry considers 1200 lbs lite. Next step, build one. It's all aluminum,8 ft. box, 80 in. wide, 80 in high. With windows, door, AC and jacks I can still left one end and I'm over 60 and no body builder. I guessing the weight at this point is around 200 lbs. Inside is not finished yet but will be modest but comfy. Our goals were lite weight, water tight and a healthy air quality inside. So far we are on track. On the shake down run I could not tell it was on the truck. It can be done! I'm interested to see if any one else has tried this and am open for suggestions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:52 AM