Freespool
post Jul 30 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Here we go again. I realize this subject has been discussed but none of the contributors had my exact set up. Here is my thought, the 1140 Arctic Fox states the floor length is 11'4", add 2 inches for rear wall thickness and 4" for the stock bumper, that's 142" minus the 96" bed. This would suggest if the truss was 46" it would be flush with outside of the square tube stock bumper. So 48" would be what I would need. I am hoping someone on this board has the same rig and can confirm my estimations.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Jul 30 2016, 05:31 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

My campers floor is 11.33' long, total length of camper is 19'3".
Floor length is very close to yours. I originally bought a 48" extension, but after the 1st trip I cut it back to 42".
With 42" extension, the extension sticks out 5.5" from the back of the camper. Add in the 5.5" length of the 2" ball and receiver and I am 11.5" from the back of the camper which is plenty.
My jet boat has a rather long tongue and the boat is more than 3' from the back of the camper. I can deploy the rear slide and still pass between the boat and camper.
A 48" extension will certainly work and your math is good, but you didn't take into consideration the extra length the receiver and ball adds to the equation.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Jul 30 2016, 07:21 PM
Post #3

Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Thanks for your reply skyhammer. I was a little to vague on what my main goal was. When the extension piece that holds the ball is pinned in I am not critical of the look since at that point it's all about utility. However when that piece is not pinned in it becomes a looks issue for me. I like the end of the truss or hitch to be flush with what ever is the farthest out, like the bumper or in this case the square tubing that holds the dump hose. Covering the hole with a chrome decorative cap completes the desired look. I may very well end up with a 42" truss like you use. I have a habit of over thinking simple things like this purchase. The bottom line is 42 or 48. The 42 sounds like it will be the closest to flush and still allow me to have plenty of set back. thanks again for your post.
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Jul 30 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

I sort of see what you are saying. At any rate I gave you my thoughts on using an extension with my similar sized camper.
I just loaded up my camper and hooked up the boat for a two week fishing trip at the high elevation lakes near LaPine, OR.
450 miles to the lake at 6600'.95% of the trip is on two lane roads.
I just read that Ford is moving to a 3" (up from 2.5") hitch to take advantage of the higher towing and hauling capacity of the new trucks.
I expect to see see hitch extensions at the 3" level, which should increase the capacity and strength of the extensions currently available.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Jul 31 2016, 06:59 AM
Post #5

Wow ,that sounds great. I can hardly wait for my October trip. I plan on being in Portland by the second day in order pick up my TC and then it's off to a local lake for a night or two in order to see how the camper preforms. I plan on researching the lakes you suggested today and also looking at parts of Idaho, southern Oregon and northern Nevada for possible relocation states when I retire. I can't wait to leave the tax's, fee's and traffic found in California. Speaking of Ford, they must really be stepping up with there new models. I actually saw Friday a new 550 chassis cab pulling a double stack car trailer and displaying a 50K DOT sticker. I have never seen that large a number on that size truck.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:07 PM